White Squall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

White Squall Reviews

½ January 8, 2016
This tragic story is a look at boys learning to sail in another era. I don't think it's done like this anymore. Being based on an actual sailing and sinking makes it more interesting, and more tragic.
½ December 26, 2015
This movie will forever cement my intrigue for open water sailing/submarine/boat- in film and out. There is something about people being forced to live in a confined area and what demons and frustrations arise and how they are dealt with. Also Jeff Bridges forever!
½ December 10, 2015
Too much melodrama, not enough squall
August 20, 2015
"Where we Go One, We go all". Albotross
April 27, 2015
Overly melodramatic in parts but a pretty well done action adventure regardless.
½ September 29, 2014
A movie from 1996 which I just watched. Directed by Ridley Scott and has Jeff Bridges as the skipper of the Albatross, a 'prep school' sailboat. The voyage presents a growth opportunity to teenage boys who enlist and is actually based on a true story. The scenery is majestic and this film is something like 'Stand By Me' meets 'The Beach' - beautiful sea & sky with lush music score, lads coming of age ..and a spot of tragedy. Jeff, Scott Wolf, Ryan Philippe and Jason Marsden have the most noteable performances.
March 30, 2014
Could be a Tommy Hilfiger commercial.
February 3, 2014
Perhaps a little sappy, Scott's seafaring tale still packs a punch, thanks to great chemistry from its young cast and a spectacular storm climax.
½ November 24, 2013
Drama and action on, in and below water. Based on a real story, yet dramatized heavily. Decent afternoon entertainment.
November 23, 2013
I loved this film, even though it has it's sappy moments. It's a great adventure story for the young and old, and when the squall hits it leaves you on the edge of your seat - it makes the sap worth sitting through.
September 27, 2013
It's amazing that a movie that doesn't seem appealing from the cover turns out to be an absolute masterpiece. Everything is perfectly done in this film and it is among Ridley Scotts best films to date.
July 7, 2013
Coming of age film where school is located on a sailboat. Entertaining but flawed. The film takes a long build-up to the big storm scene and then fizzles. The most exciting part of the movies is over in a moment and there was no suspenseful clues so that the storm scene comes and goes quickly without warning. Then the rest of the movie tries to find a way to end the story neatly including the requisite main character voice over epilogue. A formula movie with interesting acting that ultimately dies from the script.
June 18, 2013
good movie not great doh.
June 17, 2013
White Squall is at it's most beautiful and inspirational when it doesn't try to be. However, it is a great lesson in character development and genuine story telling. Heartbreaking to its core, White Squall is definitely one to watch.
½ June 9, 2013
Not entirely satisfying coming of age adventure. The soul is missing, it fails to entice.
May 3, 2013
this movie makes me so mad. but it's a good one.
April 21, 2013
Extremely forgettable. This was made in an era in which Ridley Scott kept making movies but wasn't really able to hit a home run.
½ April 13, 2013
Good film. Good dialogue, beautifully shot scenes and most importantly the great characters that really strives this movie to the fullest.
½ March 19, 2013
It started slow, but the build up is worth it. It's also hard to follow the characters at first, but I learned character to face rather than name. It was a really worthy movie, one I had reservations about but was definitely one I will watch again. Jeff Bridges is fantastic.
February 24, 2013
From what I remember, it was a pretty good movie.

Gotta be honest though. I mainly watched it for Jeremy Sisto.