White Water Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

White Water Summer Reviews

September 16, 2016
I recently re-watched this with my daughters and realized that I had forgotten how good this movie was! I originally saw it when I was 13 years old and there were still some scenes that had me on the edge of my seat. Well acted by all actors.
½ August 21, 2016
White Water Summer is a little known Kevin Bacon movie about a badass camp leader who takes young adults into the forest to teach how to be men. The boys turn out to be better campers than their camp leader. Good cast good script not the best movie but good to watch once.
½ July 23, 2016
This is awful, predictable and illogical at every point. The adolescent boys speak stilted, awkward dialogue of the "hurry up!" and "hold on!" variety, never sounding the least bit natural. Awful, pointless plot. Annoying, blaring score of dancey pop numbers out in the wilderness, as if Kevin Bacon was expected to break into a "Footloose" number at some point. In the not-very-exciting climax, one boy is left alone with injured Kevin Bacon while the others go to find help. Not content to stay in a safe place where they can be found, boy takes Kevin on a reckless canoe trip where they nearly drown. Happily, the search helicopter finds them easily where the movie abruptly ends. Yawn.
June 11, 2016
An 80s teen film I'd never seen before. Kevin Bacon plays the adult in the film as he leads a desperate group of city kids on a wilderness adventure. Sean "Samwise Gamges" Astin plays the main protagonist of the film who starts the film as a misfit who is out of his element, but Bacon teaches lots of life lessons to the boys and they are all better for it in the end. The film is very predictable and has no real surprises, but the film does have some 80s charm to it and it was photographed Stanley Kubrick's regular director of photography, John Alcott, who this was one of his last films.
½ May 5, 2016
A wilderness guide pushes the limits of three teens in this dry coming of age drama.
February 1, 2016
Favourite childhood movie. This was intense when I was little. Dying to see it again.
December 21, 2015
This movie is your typical 80's movie but it's a must see
½ July 31, 2014
A good movie. Been a fan of it since I was a kid. Sure it's a little dated but then again so is Spacecamp and that is also a great film. Lots of good dialogue and cinematography. Not a dull moment and Kevin Bacons character raises questions. Is he crazy? Is he just a survivor trying to teach spoked city kids how to be men and live off the land? Perhaps a bit of both and that makes him a memorable character in an underrated movie.
May 7, 2014
Boys camp out in the wilderness with a crazy tour guide played by Kevin Bacon.
March 13, 2013
A Psychotic Kevin Bacon and Sean Astin, classic. I think that kid from the Gate is in it too.
November 27, 2012
This was a very sad but good Movie
November 3, 2012
What a bizarre little movie. Camping films seem to have permeated the film masses in the 80s. Something about summer camp was meant to be entertaining. It can be. Take 'Meatballs' for example, but by the late 80s these camp movies kind of went off the cliff. This film is one such example of the genre.

A sadist guides a small group of campers that consist of mainly four boys on a wilderness hike. He bullies the youngest, Alan, who is from the city. His mission is to teach these boys lessons in the wild. Funny thing happens. He goes berserk and aggressively tries to force the boys to accept his ideology. Then he gets his leg broken and has to rely on the boys for survival. Also there's some white water rafting scenes and a mountain climbing scene that was well photographed.

John Alcott who was the cinematographer died before the films release and to give this film any kind of credit whatsoever it'd have to go to Alcott. The cinematography is just beautiful. The story does have a few elements of interest in terms of two opposing forces that are in some way alike can't come to a certain understanding of one another when it comes to teaching moral lessons in the wild. Alan and Vic are these two opposing forces with different ideals. The way Kevin Bacon and Sean Astin play off each other is one part of the film that is worth looking at, but the whole meaning of the film is subjective in the end since we, the audience, can't find one point of entry that makes this film worth your time.

Splicing together new footage of Sean Astin "explaining" the story as the story is being told is just pointless. It contributes nothing to the enterprise. Also the abrupt ending will make you groan, but also make you think in terms of the genre. If there was ever a camping movie to end all camping movies, it'd be White Water Summer.
October 5, 2012
idk watching it now. but luv kevin bacon movies;)
½ August 28, 2012
I planned on renting this movie but by fluke i had the chance to see it on cable. The verdict: wasn't moved or blown away by it's short cuts to draw my attention. With a lot of loop holes it was obvious they ran short of time to edit or not enough depth for the characters was created during writing the script. Kevin Bacon tries to give save the film but with little to work with i was disapointed.
August 15, 2012
Kevin Bacon is a straight up Dick in this adventure.
July 23, 2012
This movie is so good. So intense! A must see. Kevin Bacon is creepy in this film.
June 30, 2012
Bacon plays the sadist reasonably well with a young Sean Astin along for his ride of torment. Mildly entertaining stuff.
June 30, 2012
Good ole saturday morning movie.
June 27, 2012
Couldn't get into this one
May 28, 2012
kevin bacon trabaja muy bien