White Water Summer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

White Water Summer Reviews

November 11, 2011
I'll always have a soft spot for this because it intoduced me to the band Bruce Hornsby and The Range. Two of their were played during the movie and thought "They these songs are really good. The singer has a great voice and I like the way the band sound" and after that I was hooked on them. The movie itself will always be a favourite of mine too.
½ October 26, 2011
Bacon is effective in his role.
½ September 4, 2011
Decent and memorable teen adventure film of a tour in the woods gone wrong.
March 5, 2011
i love this movie, especially the music. Kevin Bacon is hot and a asshole but what an ass! It's his way or the highway. For poor Alan's sake it's over mountain, and through the falls. It would be a cool camping trip though especially pitching a tent the Kevin.
½ September 23, 2010
Have loved this movie for years.
August 16, 2010
Ein wunderbarer Film über das Erwachsenwerden. Die Atmosphäre der Berge und der Wälder fokussiert die Handlung auf die Entwicklung der Charaktere. Bacon spielt eindrucksvoll, den vom fehlgeleiteten Stolz
agierenden Wanderguide, bleibt dabei in jeder Sekunde nachvollziehbar und behält sich eine Sympathie, die ihn zu einer authentischen Figur macht. Seine Figur erhitzt die Situation subtil und lässt in mir Fragen zurück. Sehenswert!
½ August 8, 2010
Kindof sad in places. But Kevin Bacon does a good job.
½ July 20, 2010
for some reason whenever i watch this film i expect kevin bacon to go all psycho like he did in " the river wild" good flick
moviefan1725
June 16, 2010
Filmed in 1985, and dumped into a handful of theaters 2 years later, grossing less that one million dollars at the box office, this is probably the least known Kevin Bacon movie ever. Bacon plays a driven outdoorsman who takes groups of young men up into the mountains to learn how to survive. He also happens to be a boderline sociopath. When one kid, played by Sean Astin, continually challenges Bacon's leadership, things take a dangerous, even violent turn. A strong support cast of young actors makes for believable characters that involve you in the story. There's also tremendous cinematography of the wilderness and mountainsides. A lively, if very dated, 80's soundtrack keeps things moving, and keep the goings on from becoming TOO heavy handed. Bacon gives a strong performance, but it's also the weak link in the chain, because we never really know if his character is trying to teach the boys to survive on their own wits...or flat out insane. But for anyone who is a fan of the outdoors, the visuals are more than enough to sustain you for the ride.
June 2, 2010
good but the ending kinda sucked
March 8, 2010
I always liked Bacon playing a bad guy. And it really works on this one. By the middle of the movie we are all hating him.
November 22, 2009
White Water Summer is the story of Alan, a young man who doesn't have many friends and really doesn't spend much time outdoors. His parents send him on a camping excursion with three others guys his age, all led by Vic, who is an expert on all things nature has to offer (hiking, fishing, making fires, rock climbing). At first, all the boys seem to have a great time, but things quickly turn when Vic constantly gives Alan a hard time. Soon enough, the guys are pushed to the breaking point and need to find a way to escape.

I had been wanting to check this out as I am a fan of Sean's and as the main character of Alan, he did a decent job. After hearing the movie was filmed in New Zealand, some scenes reminded me of Lord of the Rings. Kevin Bacon does a good job as the overbearing leader and the other three guys in the group also did a good job.

The movie was pushed back (was filmed in 1985, the same year The Goonies came out) and the narration scenes were filmed a year later, to allow Sean to develop.

The movie offers some good thrills and is a nice action film that most people have either never heard of or have forgotten, but overall, it was a decent film.
½ November 1, 2009
It's hard to pinpoint any one thing that made this film not work completely. Probably a combination of a lot of smaller things. The acting is fine, the score was good. There are some things that don't fully make sense though. I didn't lose interest at all, but I never found the film as enthralling as it was intended to be.
March 31, 2009
I wish I could live this movie, minus the crazy parts about Bacon.
½ March 29, 2009
One of my FAVORITE movies to watch over and over. This was back when I was absolutely crazy about Sean Astin
February 12, 2009
This is the first movie I remember seeing Kevin Bacon in. That kind of set the tone on my opinion towards him for a long time. He plays a good jerk.
shesdownbytheriver
December 22, 2008
No thankyou - Not interested.
½ December 1, 2008
Ok not Sean Astin's best work or even Kevin Bacon's, but I love Sean Astin and I actually liked this one.
September 17, 2008
One of the best films I grew up watching.