White Zombie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

White Zombie Reviews

June 3, 2016
Similarly to Dreyer's "Vampyr" (which this movie reminded me of more than a little), there's a lot of great things to be said about this film. Lugosi's performance is one of his most legendary, the reused Universal sets look astonishing as usual, the lighting is beautiful, the atmosphere is perfect, and some of the imagery is unforgettable. Unfortunately also like Vampyr, this movie suffers from being inconsistent, with some truly atrocious acting and a muddled plot. The film is ultimately a minor horror classic (the very first zombie movie ever!), but its shortcomings make it a film only for the devoted horror fans. For those of us who can't get enough of these sorts of films, you won't regret sitting through some of the dull or painfully bad moments, because there's enough striking early gothic brilliance to keep you going.
April 24, 2016
This is an early undead movie starring Bela LUGOSI with unfortunately degraded audio and video quality. It is more creepy than scary, relying on acting and scenery rather than on special effects.
½ March 3, 2016
Good 1932 B movie for the time. Thanks
½ November 7, 2015
This honestly felt less like I ?watched? a movie and more like I just checked one off a to-see list, as it?s a pretty unremarkable little slavery allegory. The deadly serious intent doesn?t quite translate to modern sensibilities, and Lugosi?s face seems to be stuck on seriously annoyed. Some cool old film techniques, though, which utilize shadows and silhouettes nicely.
October 26, 2015
Much more of a romantic film than a horror zombie flick. Throughout the whole movie, many scenes can be long, but i felt i should watch it cause it's Bela Lugosi classic and supposed to be the first zombie movie. The acting is good but sometimes overacted. This movie was made independently and sort of hidden by the big block buster horrors from the early 30's. Recommended !!
September 8, 2015
Wonderful supernatural thriller/horror. A true classic. A very wealthy man makes a deal with a voodoo witch doctor to kill and raise a beautiful woman as a zombie, so he can have her forever.

The deal gets sour when he realizes that the zombie Madge is nothing like the Madge whom he met and previously coveted.

So beautifully shot, and acted. Great sets, and a really interesting story about jealousy, possession and love.
½ March 21, 2015
for a low budget B movie this works thx 2 Lugosi
December 25, 2014
Being "the first zombie" movie, it might be a must-see, but it's actually fairly dull, uneven, and has some annoying main characters. Bela Legosi, however makes it bearable, the zombies are pretty creepy, and the sets and sounds are well-conceived. Worth a watch, but probably only once.
October 29, 2014
The star in this movie is the evil looking of Bela Lugosi.
½ October 19, 2014
It took me this long to watch the very first zombie film and it pretty much delivers. Bela Lugosi is damn mesmerizing as a voodoo master.
October 7, 2014
Hypnotic, beautiful, bizarre, it moves like some kind of underwater dream, with Bela Lugosi's eyes as the principal motif, and it's always fascinating to see pre-Romero zombies, which are all about mindless slave labor, as opposed to the post-Romero, mindlessly consumptive zombies, which are often about mindless consumption. The constraints of the low budget are clear, but this is still a beautiful production, with gorgeous visuals and some creative early sound design in scenes, and the use of the damsel in distress at the center of the film serves as a fascinating sort of objective correlative for a feminist reading.
October 2, 2014
Great early horror. The score and Lugosi's eyes steal the show. The plot is surprisingly easy to follow for a 30's horror film. Must watch for any horror fan.
June 13, 2014
An operatic and eerily scary low budget zombie horror that predates Romero's Night of the Living Dead by more than 30 years.
April 26, 2014
It's a shame that Bela Lugosi didn't get more leading parts that exercised his abilities as an actor, but then again, he was quite happy to indulge in his horror legacy and make a living off of it in the process. White Zombie was released a year after the success of Dracula, and its popularity was a big part of that success. However, the film itself isn't quite as good as the one it capitalized upon. The storyline is pretty good, but it's all stuff we've seen before in other, more superior films: a doctor gone mad on an unknown island doing devilish things away from society. That's certainly nothing new. The film has a lot of atmosphere and some genuinely creepy moments, but overall, it just doesn't hold up well or stand out among the others. Most will only watch it for Lugosi's performance, and I can't think of a better reason to see it than that.
January 4, 2014
It's the old classic horror tale, it may have aged terribly but it's still a good movie, not perfect, but good.
November 8, 2013
First zombie ever made, where the zombies where mindless slaves and you only had to fear to become one of them.
½ October 28, 2013
Shortly after his iconic turn as Dracula, Bela Lugosi made this-the first ever zombie film. It's worth noting that this is also an independent film, not made by Universal or some other major studio. That's perhaps why this one seems to be overlooked more often than not. This is a zombie picture nothing like the kind made by Romero, and others following in his footsteps. Because of this, some viewers may find the film disappointing. I kinda liked it. Despite a short running time, it is rather slow, but the pace just adds to the atmosphere-which is done really well. Given the age of the film, it's surprising that there's some ambition here-especially with the camera work, which features cool and unique dissolves/transitions, framing through objects, and a long take (lasting several minutes) during a conversation that reveals important plot info. Despite its obscureness, the film does have an interesting legacy. Rob Zombie's band (before he went solo) took their name from this movies, which I think is just fine.
October 6, 2013
One Bela Lugosi Film, 1931's Dracula Is One Of My Favorite Films.
September 20, 2013
Zombies are used to work the sugar plantations.....how freaking BRILLIANT IS THAT? If the zombies happen to eat a couple of really stupid people on their honeymoon, it's Darwinian. It simply removes them before they can add to the gene pool. Plus, what zombies do on their evenings off is their OWN business.

Bela Lugosi is AWESOME. The only thing that would make this better is if at the end Madeline eats Neal's FACE.
September 11, 2013
White Zombie is a film with Bela Lugosi in it and I started to watch it at least twice(?) before but I may have turned it off; I remember the beginning only. I watched most of it then again stopped, picking up at my last spot more recently and finishing the film. It's a zombie thriller but isn't very interesting though it shows a very menacing Bela Lugosi who has piercing eyes.

A couple is to be married at the home of a relative stranger, on the way there they encounter zombies, the stranger is a rich man who wants the bride to be for himself and will use almost any means to ensnare her. She falls under the spell of a warlock, her fiance tries to rescue her and ultimately succeeds with help. 2/10