Who Can Kill a Child? (Quin puede matar a un nio?) Reviews

• Mar 15, 2020

A pesar de lo que pueda parecer, lo cierto es que la cinta de Chicho Ibañez Serrador precede casi una decada a la mítica Los Chicos del Maíz, y esta basasda en un relato de Juan Jose Plans que también precede al de King (aunque por muy poco), por lo que podemos entender que el concepto en sí era bastante fresco (si no contamos obviamente con la clara influencia de The Midwich Cuckoos de John Windham y sus adaptaciones). Lo que es mejor aun es que Serrador se aleja del tono sobrenatural de la King, haciendola mucho más llana y cercana a la realidad, por lo tanto mucho más cruda y terrorífica. Oviamente Serrador complementa el ya de por sí terrible concepto con algunas imagenes genialmente construidas (esos niños rodeando la cabaña del pescador) y un ambiente duro, seco y horriblemente seco. Hoy, más de 40 años después, esta cinta sigue siendo perturbadora, y eso es algo digno de reconocer. Es un sí o sí, tanto si os gusta el género como sino

• Apr 17, 2019

The premise is good and execution is often of quality, but I was bored not little, especially during those long sequences of *Tom* looking around the village and playing dumb, while all they have to do is leave. Moreover, I didn't find anything particular special about the movie besides that it utilized killing of children as a matter of thing.

• Sep 26, 2017

Strong in the suspense set after a considerable run time, but also, heavily intense when it comes to deliver a hard-gruesome premise in which a group of children are turned into slasher villains, this little but effective horror flick is a great example of how to execute a good idea in the proper way, with the right amount of tension and unsettlement, and even the incursion of a painfully raw ending.

• Jul 03, 2016

A Spanish masterpiece of horror that noone should miss...!

A Spanish masterpiece of horror that noone should miss...!

• Jul 03, 2016

Dark, crazy and scary. A very underrated horror movie.

Dark, crazy and scary. A very underrated horror movie.

• Jul 03, 2016

Years before the Corn, there were the Children of the Sea--Subtle masterpiece of Spanish terror!!

• Jul 03, 2016

English tourists Tom and Evelyn are travelling in Spain. The town they want to stay in is overcrowded so they decided to go to an island that Tom knows of about 4 hours off the coast. When they get to the island they discover that there are no adults on the island, only children. They soon realize that they are trapped on the island and that the children have killed all the adults. Now they must fight and kill the angry mob of children before they are killed themselves. Ok, so I was watching a video on youtube with Eli Roth where he talks about his five favorite films. He mentioned this film on his list and I was intrigued. I had never heard of it before so I started doing a little research. The film was made in 1976 and for a long time was almost impossible to find anywhere. Then in 2007 it was released on DVD by Dark Sky Films. The movie is extremely well done for its time and budget. It was a very risqué film at the time since it dealt with a taboo subject matter, killing children. This is 8 years before Children of the Corn and while I have no proof of it I have a hard time believing Stephen King didn't use this movie as inspiration. Unlike, COTC however, this movie doesn't have any religious undertones. I was pretty blown away by this film. It's truly creepy without being overly gory and it definitely sticks with you for a while afterwards. This is not a film for everyone. There are some scenes in the beginning of film that show documentary footage of children in concentration camps, starving in India, etc. This was done by the director to supposedly explain why the children decided to rise up against the adults but I found it a bit gratuitous and unnecessary. If you are horror fan, or someone who just looking for something different to watch, then I recommend checking this one out. On a side note I saw that they had planned on doing a remake of this film back in 2008. It was going to be called In the Playground and had a Director (David Alcade) and star (Diego Luna) all lined up. I even found a poster for the film. It doesn't look like this film was ever made though, and I can't find any record of it on IMDB.

• Francisco G Super Reviewer
    Jul 03, 2016

Starting off with a brutal and relentless opening credits of the effects of war on children, it's clear that this isn't gonna be just another horror movie. After that initial 10min assault, the camera cuts to a pleasant sighting of people enjoying the beach, creating great contrast with the aformentioned scene, with loads of fat, healthy people on sight, happy children playing and just beautiful people everywhere. That little exposition scene ends abruptly when a dead woman's body gets discovered on shore by a young child to end that safety, giving room for the movie to start. From here on, the movie behaves like a traditional horror movie. With the lead couple slowly finding the horrors of a deserted small town on an isolated island. And when they start to figure out what's going on, the movie grabs you by the nuts and just doesn't let go. It's absolutly amoral, unforgiving and downright scary. you are confronted with the worse decisions one can take under such circumstances. The acting and superb bleak cinematography help immensely and when you get to the last 20 minutes of the flick you just can't breath on how shocking things get. It is that affecting without being cheap, exploitative or over sentimental. The effects of war on children have never been so brutal on screen. This little cautionary tale hailing from the 70s and shot on Spain is a little masterpiece of cinema that can't be ignored, much less missed. The approach might be a bit too gut wrenching for the common movie goer, but it's impact is undeniable.

• Jul 03, 2016

Genuinely scary. Very likeable protagonists.

Genuinely scary. Very likeable protagonists.

Very well-written movie for back in the day. Great movie