Who Framed Roger Rabbit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Who Framed Roger Rabbit Reviews

June 8, 2016
One of the most influential films ever made, in my opinion, 'Roger Rabbit' cleverly blends live-action and animation. Even though the mixing of actors with animated characters has been done before this, the movie was a great technical achievement, along with the first 'Toy Story', which was released seven years later.
June 5, 2016
With groundbreaking animation and amazing visuals, Who Framed Roger Rabbit is hugely creative, fun and funny comedy neo-noir animation movie and one of the greatest animations of all time.
May 22, 2016
Cinema perfection strikes again with a perfect balance of detective noir and animated insanity.
May 22, 2016
This film is the best animated movie ever. I love the animation and live-action crossover, the acting is outstanding, and the story was brilliant. I love it!!!
½ May 11, 2016
UPDATE 4/22/16 A breakthrough in animation and visual effects of it's time. But now, it is a bland, predictable buddy-cop movie with a bouncing, ear-piercing Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck clone.

I'm sorry, I know people love this movie and it has a place in movie history, but I just couldn't get into this film. I thought the Roger Rabbit character was irritating, I couldn't stand him at times. And the whole "cartoon" aspect was hammered down, just like Almost Famous. I know this film was made for a younger audience, but it could have been more twists and turns to make the movie stand out from every other buddy-cop film on Earth.

Despite the flaws, this movie isn't awful, it just wasn't that good. And it does have bright moments, even from Roger occasionally. Most of the live-action actors did a good job, like Bob Hoskins and Christopher Lloyd. And the blending of 2-D animation and live-action is glorious, and like I said, a vital piece of both film and animation history.

I said it once, I'll say it again, Cool World is the better flick.
May 5, 2016
I just don't like this kind of blend but this movie should take credit for being the first one to try it. Robert Zemeciks is a director who always dare to step into an unknown territories. He was also the first to use motion capture in movies in "The Polar Express". And lately he recreated New York city his 3D feature "The Walk".
This movie had some good ideas and interaction between its characters but the framework in which everything occurs is simply inappropriate. It should be a family-friendly movie as it contained animation and would be viewed by younger audience no matter what the rating was but the story contained implication of sex, consuming alcohol and smoking cigarettes. Not to mention the detective/ murder story line in which it was wrapped with. Jessica was a character created to diminish females and sexualize their bodies. Not even suitable to be viewed by adults for instance. I really do not understand how such a movie could simply get an PG rating unless there is a preconceived plan to create a horny, ill mannered new generation.
May 3, 2016
Groundbreaking, innovative, and supremely entertaining. My favorite film of all time.
April 29, 2016
Who Framed Roger Rabbit uses inventive and groundbreaking animation techniques in service of a clever story.
April 19, 2016
Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a truly remarkable film that was both way ahead of its time and strongly reminiscent of films from our past. Every time I watch this movie I marvel at how well they blend the cartoon animation with the live action. Yes, you can see the disconnect between the two if you're analyzing it closely, but the movie is so entertaining you kind of forget. Also the cast of actors are so good that you genuinely feel there's someone there when they are really just talking with thin air. Then there's the story which feels like it was plucked straight out of a classic film noir. There's a private detective who takes a case that results in murder, he suspects a femme fatale, and has to piece together the clues before his client gets murdered as well. Honestly, if you take away the living cartoons you could almost see Humphrey Bogart starring in this thing. Speaking of which, Bob Hoskins is delightful in the lead role. I think he does a good job of displaying anger and frustration with his life, and his interactions with Roger are great. I love Christopher Lloyd as Judge Doom also, but I kind of wish his performance was a little more subtle because he is so obviously evil from his very first moment on screen that you kind of feel like he's up to something from the beginning. Luckily there are still surprises that get revealed in the end so it never mattered all that much to me. I think the only real problem I ever had with this movie is that the cartoons give the illusion that this might be a kids movie, so I saw it when it first came out and I was still a bit young for that. Between the adult themes that permeate most of the film, and the scary ending I was terrified. But for adults I think Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a winner that still holds up well today.
½ March 27, 2016
Technical marvel that was ahead of its time. A movie masterpiece. Bob Hoskins and Christopher Loyd are brilliant.
March 25, 2016
Well scripted, well plotted, well acted. What's there not to like? Redolent of the California of the late '40s, which also inspired "Devil in a Blue Dress" and "True Confessions."
March 24, 2016
Pretty genius filmmaking for it's time, with the mix of animation and real world and real actors. The storyline and humor aren't the greatest, but the nostalgia factor, seeing Disney and other famous cartoon characters throughout, in a rather risqué film (comparatively speaking, of course, to the cartoons themselves), is nice to see. One of the more classic 80's flicks.
March 8, 2016
I didn't see this 1980s movie during its original release when I was a child, so I don't have the same nostalgic feelings towards it many reviewers may have. However, seeing it now for the first time, I think it holds up pretty well. It takes place in the 1940s and does an amazing job of imagining a world where real people and cartoons live side by side. It's even more impressive considering how much work was put into a film like this that came before computer animation. It's strange to think there probably won't be a film like this ever again.
There are cameos galore of numerous old school cartoons. I didn't realize this was the one and only time Disney and WB characters have appeared together on screen. Bob Hoskins's character is a good point of view character for the average viewer. He's a little cynical of the cartoon characters (and they clearly can be grating at times, especially Roger Rabbit himself), but he comes to accept and care for them as the story progresses. I don't think the film is for everyone, but if you're a lover of old school films and cartoons, I think you'll find something to love here.
March 6, 2016
A charming film noir with dazzling visuals
February 18, 2016
Paved the way for every animated picture since then. Timeless in its originality.
½ February 13, 2016
I gave this movie a A
February 11, 2016
Boasting from it's very impressive animation and visual effects, especially from its time frame, Who Framed Roger Rabbit is certainly a great time.
February 8, 2016
A technological wonder. But also, funny, smart, well-scripted and acted. Overall, an impressive contribution to film-making.
February 8, 2016
A brilliant contribution to animated - and non-animated - film-making. An impressive technological achievement, brilliantly funny, smart and actually moving.
½ January 28, 2016
This movie is great. From the amazing acting on Bob Hoskins part to the bizarreness of the setting, as well as, well ALL of the toons involved, it works up to be an visually stunning epic adventure.