Who Is Cletis Tout? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Who Is Cletis Tout? Reviews

July 3, 2013
This started off strong, but I completely lost interest in it after about half an hour. It doesn't seem like there's much point, if any, and with the possible exception of Tim Allen, none of the acting is memorable. I heard about this movie for a long time and looked forward to seeing it, but I was pretty disappointed.
½ January 22, 2013
Rippingly fun film. Christian Slater and Tim Allen particularly shine. Not a dark film by any means.
½ August 12, 2012
This was pretty good. The story was interesting. I liked Tim Allen as the "bad" guy.
½ March 9, 2012
I don't get why critics hated this film. It is quirky, and is not really a crime genre movie as described above. It is an odd little comedy about mistaken identity and love. It has weird-but-funny characters throughout. The characters are all extremely flawed, but even the criminals have some little something in their character to redeem them enough to make you like them. The dumb and inept hit-men who try to better themselves through "intelligent" discourse, the heavy hitter with a heart, the messed up dad trying to steal a life for his daughter, the accomplice along for the ride, but loyal- who falls for the thief's daughter. And the daughter, broken from having her only parent taken away, but finally finding value in a new relationship she can trust.
It is not the best movie you will ever see, but if you like odd-ball characters, it is worth the viewing.
½ February 1, 2012
Niot a blockbuster comedy but I still liked it. Funny and there clown/bank thing was pretty clever. I watched this mainly for Tim Allen but it wasn't a usual role for him. Still, it won't bore you though.
½ September 5, 2011
Not a FANTASTIC movie, though I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Tim Allen certainly did not fit the role of a hitman. Portia de Rossi's acting was almost cringe-worthy.
July 3, 2011
I thought it was a solid flick that kept you guessing.
½ May 5, 2011
Mildly entertaining. Storyline was only ok, but presented in a unique narrative style. Ru Paul's character was unnecesary, and distracting. Doesn't work on every level, but not too bad. Passed away an afternoon for me...
½ January 14, 2011
ok crime caper drama
½ September 6, 2010
It was an enjoyable light comedy. Worth watching.
May 8, 2010
Christian Slater stars as a crook who gets a new identity after breaking out of prison. He's given the name Cletis Tout, which turns out to be the name of someone the mob wants dead. While Slater is looking for a box of diamonds that his friend (Ricard Dreyfuss) in prison hid when he was younger, he gets help from Dreyfuss' daughter (Portia de Rossi).

The movie wants to be a smart Get Shorty type of mob comedy, but it never reaches that level. The only reason to watch this movie is for the performances. Believe it or not, but Tim Allen steals the show as a movie loving hit-man. Tim Allen shows here and Redbelt that he's wasted in the crappy family comedies that he usually makes. The guy can actually act and can handle more serious roles. Although, I wouldn't mind seeing him as "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" one more time lol.
January 16, 2010
a very interesting movie, Tim Allen is hilarious, displaying his i-know-it-all when it comes to movies, just simply funny
½ October 21, 2009
I'm impressed I'd never heard of this movie before, it was really entertaining, with a good cast and a plot that keeps you involved.. Plus, Tim Allen as a hitman, you gotta love that.
September 11, 2009
I don't know where you did your MBA work but I believe you're confusing "deal" which is an arrangement for mutual benefit... with extortion.

I've got a strong feeling that before the day is out someone's going to make use of that rather expressive, though somewhat old-fashioned, term: foul play.

You killed the wrong guy, that's what's wrong, putzo.
That's impossible.
I give you a simple job and all you two can do is blow so much smoke up my ass it's a miracle I ain't died of rectal cancer!

You got a paper trail Helen Keller could follow!
We should eat first.
Who the fuck's Helen Keller?
½ April 3, 2009
Great movie. did not get the recognition that it deserved
February 25, 2009
This movie is really good in that it takes people and puts them in roles they are not envisioned to EVER play. Tim Allen is an AWESOME hitman! The plot seems simple at first but becomes more complex as the story goes. Great caper fun.
½ January 12, 2009
A fairly average sort of heist movie. Kind of relies on flashbacks too much (it even hangs a lantern on the fact, which is, of course, always a giant cop-out)...but there are some genuinely funny bits. I LOVE the joke of when the cop says to Christian Slater something like, "You remind me of Jack Nicholson. Do you ever get that?" And then Slater says, "Really?" But it's not like a, "really, you think so?", but more like a, "really, you're going to put that joke in this movie? is this the path my career has taken?" and it's hilarious. I was sad when they canceled his new show My Own Worst Enemy (NBC has way worse crap they should have shoved off their lineup). Oh, and Portia continues to look amazing & plays a fairy simple semi-comedic role...Ellen's a lucky gal...I imagine if they could make babies they would take over the world (& force acceptance to everyone along the way)...lol...Overall a really solid cast, really...Billy Connolly is always good...& even Tim Allen isn't bad in it.
½ November 30, 2008
Presentation, plot and coincidence mixed in just the right proportions with some decent acting and dialog is what makes this movie enjoyable. Tim Allens characters' penchant for old movies is the perfect vehicle to introduce the foreshadowing for the events that happen.
October 16, 2008
I knew absolutely nothing about this when I watched it and was pleasantly surprised. I can see why it isn't widely known as it isn't really sure what it wants to be but Allen is quite good and overall it's not bad but forgettable.
½ October 10, 2008
Pretty damn good concept. Tim Allen is actually the best character in the film, which is suprising. RuPaul scares the crap out of me...could have done without him/her. The music in this movie was incredibly cheezy, which is what i think hurt this movie the most.