Who Is Dayani Cristal? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Who Is Dayani Cristal? Reviews

April 18, 2015
Well made combination of documentary about the plight of hopeful immigrants to the U.S, and re-enactment by Gael García Bernal of the road they take. Following investigation into who is the man found dead in the Sonora desert with the tatoo "Dayani Cristal" on his chest. Well done.
November 19, 2014
Very moving, Gael Garcia with a fascinating ease gives a face and a name to a deceived immigrant, that like many others risks it all for a chance to get a job and provide a decent leaving for their families.
½ September 20, 2014
el ver algo como lo sucedido en este documental,es deveras un acto que no puede uno mas que tener el mas alto respeto por las personas que arriesgan su vida por vivir el sueño americano,muy cierto lo que se dice ahi,se debe tomar en cuenta a la humanidad antes que cualquier estatus legal...
September 12, 2014
You will be moved to tears when you see this accurate and revealing portrayal of what poor immigrants endure in order to reach the Promised Land- yes the nation that so many of us take for granted. Gael Garcia Bernal plays Dayani Cristal, a man from Honduras determined to make a better life for his three children and wife. The cost: his own life! This moving and powerful documentary deals with the challenging aspects of the U.S. Immigration policy and critic Rene Rodriguez from the Miami Herald hits the bull's eye with this statement that I totally agree with: "The focus of the film may be the deadly dangers of illegal border crossings, but its true subject is ordinary people and the things they'll do for the ones they love." Nigel Andrews from the FT commented something that goes to the heart of the matter as well: "We learn the cruelty of a system of hope in which the longing for a better life is the bait to lure people to an untimely death." Dayani Cristal, merely 29 years old, became another sad statistic to the thousands that die over the years trying to reach that Promised Land..A compelling and touching motion picture that begs for immigration reform. Please WATCH THIS DOCUMENTARY and Bravo to the cast and crew of Who is Dayani Cristal. Through interviews, photos, and real depictions of other immigrants, the viewer sees the final weeks of Dayani Cristal. We are so fortunate, so blessed to be American citizens. We are living in the Promised Land, we have a slice of the American dream and every day I am thankful for that, and for serving my country honorably, because I love the United States of America. I am so sorry for the nightmares that these human beings go through. Until immigration reform takes place, how many more deaths will take place? RECOMMENDED!!
May 5, 2014
Un buen recorrido que a veces se pierde en la poco clara vision del realizador; no es reportero, tampoco es actor (al dramatizar los hechos), y no se mete entre la gente de forma creible entre los aspirantes a cruzar. A pesar de esto, es una historia interesante para contar: la identidad de uno de los tantos cuerpos encontrados sin vida en la frontera con Arizona. Vale la pena. (Texto intencionalmente sin acentos).
April 27, 2014
Gael Garcia Bernal is a brave man. Change these stupid laws.
December 13, 2013
A powerful documentary that will surely shed a new and more human light on a delicate issue that is often viewed from a safe and unflatteringly politicised distance. Marc Silver offers a remarkable insight on the migration of poverty stricken Latin Americans to the United States, but takes a look at it from a haunting and original perspective by focusing on its dangerous and often tragic journey. Its starting point, in fact, comes from the decomposing corpses or remains of the dead travellers found on the Sonora desert and the retracing of one of those bodies in particular - whose only initial distinguishing trait is a tattoo of the words 'Dayani Cristal'. It is this man's story, in fact, that is portrayed harrowingly with three different approaches - a narrative one starring Gael Garcia Bernal, an investigative one as the body's origins are retraced and an intimate one where his family and close friends are interviewed. The result is at once entertaining, haunting and potent as well as very important and effective in raising awareness on the issue that works as a spotlight on a specific geographic area but could a easily take more universal meaning in the subject of migration. Furthermore, through skill and sensibility, Silver totally avoids patronisation or even exploitation. Who is Dayani Cristal? offers a voice to the voiceless and a strong human standpoint that urges international dialogue.