Who Killed the Electric Car? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Who Killed the Electric Car? Reviews

November 30, 2015
With nearly a decade of hindsight, I've changed my opinion about this film. The movie disregarded a single factor: safety. Electric car batteries in their infancy were notoriously unsafe, as we now know. That GM pulled the cars off the market was, in my opinion, probably due to the fact that they were potential deathtraps. We now know that it has taken Tesla years to make the batteries less flammable and less prone to explosion due to impact. It's pretty clear that GM probably knew this and knew that the cars were catastrophes waiting to happen.
½ September 19, 2015
This movie pissed me off and gets you thinking....the sign off a great documentary.Thank god they only where able to put it off some and not actually kill it,
March 18, 2015
Repetitively tedious.
½ December 30, 2014
WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR (2006) tries to persuade its audience that quality zero emissions vehicles are not only viable, they've already been made. General Motor's EV1 was a limited release electric car that hit the market in the 90's, only to disappear inexplicably a few years later. Several culprits are fingered, including the oil industry (which stood to lose billions in future profits,) the goverment (which joined in a lawsuit against California to fight against its zero emissions vehicle laws, eventually causing the state to remove electric cars from the list of vehicles which met the ZEV requirements,) and GM itself (which never actually sold the vehicles...it leased them out, then repossessed them when the leases expired, claiming that the vehicles had been a failure.) Several former owners are interviewed, most of them with glowing reviews of the vehicle's performance.

Overall, the argument is strong, but WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC CAR suffers from one major defect...it lacks a solid counter-argument to the points it raises. Still, it lays enough groundwork to convince me that the United States is not doing enough to stem the tide of air pollution caused by vehicle emissions.
½ September 28, 2014
No major surprises, but very detailed and well put together. Infuriating, of course.
½ May 8, 2014
Very solid documentary that brings the question to the forefront of who was at fault for the demise of the electric car. As one would surmise it was various issues that brought down the industry, but some issues were more prominent than others. I thought they did a solid job of not being too onesided in its fact giving which is the main fault of a lot of documentaries these days on hot button political topics.
March 27, 2014
awesome doc and another lost review
March 3, 2014
And we never cover the cost of the car? What a crock.
December 22, 2013
Very good documentary, I liked the format & style.The content is interesting & well put together
½ December 1, 2013
wow it's quite mind-boggling! even though there are more important things to talk about, I personally think that people should have the free-will to have a car that's different. the goverment is so STUPID!
November 22, 2013
Interesting Some high end actors are interviewed. Touched a little about hydrogen cars.
July 18, 2013
Answer: Pretty much everyone involved with it, except the actual product team. Sad.
June 8, 2013
Car companies: "Let's make electric cars."
Public: "Yay!"
Car companies: "Hey, let's stop making those, this Hydrogen Fuel Cell thing looks good."
Public: "Umm... okay?"
Public: "Hey, whatever happened to Hydrogen Fuel Cells?"
Car companies: "Not really price effective."
Public: "Well, can we have our electric cars back then?"
Car companies: "What electric cars?"
Public: "The ones you were making a few years ago?"
Car companies: "Umm... Would you like a Hummer?"
June 2, 2013
The Wellington Company has some electric cars. They are great!
½ May 14, 2013
It is an informative watch but does not really appeal to me.
½ May 14, 2013
A very confronting documentary that just further cements my distrust in structured governments not like I need any more.

The story of how collectively the motor & oil companies with the aid of the government destroyed the electric car.

It clearly was not only a better, greener & safer option it was a lot cheaper than gasoline so it's no surprise really why they wanted 2 axe it.

Full if interesting interviews & inside information scary the power the corporations have to run this world of our, truly the route of all evil is money.
April 24, 2013
Heartbreaking! Infuriating! To know we could be driving electric vehicles today!
March 29, 2013
Somw really intersting things. Particulalry I took to heart the line stating "charging your car isn't inconvient, having to go to the gas station, that's inconvient." But they missed one thing. They never addressed WHYm. WHY did GM get rid of the EV1, why didn't they sell it. The market is alwys in controll and I think the film producers let their own predjices get in the way of not investigating market forces.
½ March 19, 2013
The answer to the title, just like to so many other questions, is money and greed.
February 21, 2013