The Who: Live at the Isle of Wight Festival - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Who: Live at the Isle of Wight Festival Reviews

April 3, 2016
This concert film depicts the greatest band in the world at the top of their concert output at the time of the release the Tommy album. At this point in rock and roll history, The Who were the greatest live band in the world bar none. This is a high energy performance that seals forever, a taste of The Who's early concert set and what spectators at that time would witness at such a show. The Who were big influences for so many bands that have come after them such as Oasis, Pearl Jam, Nirvana and countless others.

The final footage of a young Keith Moon hamming it up for the camera wearing a comic mask is rather poignant, as it captures the core simplicity of the beloved man-child and substance abuser that ended up dying in 1978 due to his vices.

Like so many "concert" films, it's critical reception really comes down to whether the viewer is a fan or not. For Who fans, this is a priceless must-see. For others, there is much to be appreciated here and hopefully enough to convert the uninitiated to become a Whooligan.
September 8, 2015
Just watched for first time. Absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!! 5 out 5 easy!!!
½ January 15, 2011
If you're going to watch a concert film, make it the Who. The only reason it's not a five-star review is because they play Tommy in its entirety- my least favorite thing in the Who catalog.
December 15, 2010
Classic, classic, classic. Absolute brilliance, from start to finish. In my mind, "Water", the bit after "My Generation" and Tommy's encore are the finest moments.
Finally, the cameras are zooming on John Entwistle! Because of the epic skeleton suit -apparently-, which according to him was bought in a hurry and turned out to be very small as well as uncomfortable, we get to see John a lot more than usual.
Well-directed, intense, fantastic!