Who the #$&% Is Jackson Pollock? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Who the #$&% Is Jackson Pollock? Reviews

June 6, 2015
So dull I fell asleep. Not worthy of a documentary.
March 1, 2015
This is one hella fun documentary. Funny, educational and though-provoking. The cast of characters are perfect, the situation is interesting and the outcome is unpredictable.
½ December 30, 2014
WHO THE #$&% IS JACKSON POLLOCK? tells the story of Teri Horton, retired truck driver and renowned dumpster diver, who buys a painting from a thrift shop for 5 bucks, only to learn that it might be an honest-to-God Jackson Pollock. Problem is, the art community won't acknowledge the painting as genuine because it's unsigned and has no recorded trail of ownership. So Teri hires a forensic scientist, who finds a fingerprint on the back of the canvas that matches fingerprints found at Pollock's studio and on some of Pollock's authenticated work. She also hires an art dealer (who's been previously convicted for fraud) to mingle with the elite and find a buyer. Asking price? 25 million dollars.

Most of the art critics who refuse to authenticate Teri's find are saturated with ivory-tower snobbery; sometimes, it seems their refusal to meet Teri eye-to-eye has less to do with their artistic expertise and more to do with their distaste for her white-trash persona. On the other hand, Teri's bullheadedness will brook no compromise; she rejects offers of 2 million and 9 million. Despite her protestations that she wishes to win a moral argument, she acts like she's more interested in the money.

For me, it comes down to this. Would I turn down an offer that stood to gain me 1.8 million times my original investment? Or to put it another way, would I risk 25 million dollars on a piece of art with no provenance, and therefore, no resale value?

No doubt I was supposed to be rooting for Teri to get the big bucks...you know, to stick it to the man. Honestly, though, I found myself agreeing with all the stuffed-shirts.
December 14, 2014
An old woman goes into a thrift store to find a depressed friend a silly looking picture. Something so ugly they both would have to laugh. She found the ugly painting and paid $5 for it. Turned out to be a Jackson Pollack painting worth over 50 million dollars!!! This is her story. Beautifully done!!!
October 20, 2014
Documentary throws the unjustifiable biases of the art world into harsh relief. Rent it.
October 3, 2014
Definitely an interesting story, just the editing and the styling could have been better , more sophisticated. Apart from that - a curious film.
August 16, 2014
Theres a couple docs i have seen before this that expose a large part of the BS that goes on in the art world. Basically art has value if someone else says it does. There is an intresting myster and culture conflict going on in this film on top of that. You get to meet one of the douchyest real human beings i have ever seen on film, if this guy was an actor it would be way to unbelievable hes so over the top. the final message is now one really knows cause its all nonsense anyway.
October 27, 2013
Interesting that the art world doesn't recognize fingerprints.
June 8, 2013
could it be? could it not be? it's all up to the viewer.
½ June 9, 2012
excellent movie for all Pollock's fans.....
June 4, 2012
A fantastic story woven in a very clever way. Slightly annoying narration though.
½ May 6, 2012
This is an interesting documentary that deals with a woman who might have stumbled upon a really valuable paining. This movie brings up many interesting questions about the art world. The movie is interesting the entire way, definitely check this one out.
March 11, 2012
The art world won't accept a Jackson Pollock painting is real because it doesn't have a signature on the front. It does however have Jackson Pollocks finger print on the back. The catch here though is the art world "doesn't understand forensics", so the painting is a fake. WTF?! Great doco!
January 9, 2012
Interesting look into who's in charge when it comes to the fancy arts. The men in power...are in power. And that's that..or is it now?
January 7, 2012
Extremely interesting story. I found the snobiness of the art world (the so-called "experts") disturbing. Just because it was bought in a thrift store for 5 bucks by a truck driver and nobody could track where it came from, and that the experts do not "think" it is a Pollock, doesn't mean that it is not one - many of the important artists have paintings in periods in their life that do not at all resemble significant art work later on. Anyways, very interesting and entertaining.
December 31, 2011
Another film which I am torn about. It is extremely interesting to have a first hand look at how art is authenticated, squabbled over and analyzed.

However, the interesting aspects of this movie are completely overpowered and overshadowed by the ignorance, bullheadedness, greed, and generally mean-spiritedness of the paintings owner, Teri Horton. She is uneducated (particularly regarding art), unappreciative of true artistic vision (she calls the painting 'ugly as sin' and says 'we were going to throw darts at it') and unrelenting in her greed and misguided self righteousness.

While I would love this painting to be real, I almost hope it isn't so this self inflated piece of trailer-park white trash doesn't get a penny out of it. The final 4 minutes of the film are my own personal Hell.
December 10, 2011
A controversial piece of art, some controversial forensic science, and controversial art experts. Very entertaining, though.
December 6, 2011

August 6, 2011
Interesting but not convincing. She seems mainly to want the art world to say they're sorry & that she's right. The experts we're presented with, or at least the movie, don't make a good case either way.