Who the #$&% Is Jackson Pollock? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Who the #$&% Is Jackson Pollock? Reviews

May 17, 2011
I like visual art and documentaries, so I loved it.
I don't think you have to like either to like this film though. The main character is an interesting woman, and the attitudes of some of the naysayers are hard to believe.
April 10, 2011
Liked this. It's a decent little documentary about the American art world and Jackson Pollock - not to mention a woman who is too stupid to accept 9 million for a painting she's told is a fake by experts. No sympathy.
January 26, 2011
I think this is my new favorite film. That says a lot. I can't wait to own it.
½ January 26, 2011
Highly watchable, extremely interesting, loads of different angles and curiosities.
½ January 16, 2011
Though the film has a great subject and story, it's 60 Minutes style journalistic voice over ruins the film.
January 11, 2011
Another film which I am torn about. It is extremely interesting to have a first hand look at how art is authenticated, squabbled over and analized. However, the interesting aspects of this movie are completely overpowered and overshadowed by the ignorance, bullheadedness, greed, and generally meanspiritedness of the paintings owner, Teri Horton. She is uneducated (particularly regarding art), unappriciative of true artistic vision (she calls the painting 'ugly as sin' and says 'we were going to throw darts at it') and unrelenting in her greed and misguided self rightousness. While I would love this painting to be real, I almost hope it isn't so this self inflated peice of trailer park white trash doesn't get a penny out of it. The final 4 minutes of the film are my own personal Hell.
½ January 7, 2011
Wish I had seen this back in 2006. Very entertaining docu about a southern truck driving grandma who discovers what might be a previously unknown masterpiece by Jackson Pollock. She buys it for $5 and soon learns that its value might be $55 million if proven to be authentic. Therein lies the difficulty. It's unsigned. I won't say any more, but with evidence presented, I think it's much harder to prove that it's not. If you're a fan of art in general, check it out.
½ December 12, 2010
Intriguing doc on hidden treasures.
½ November 22, 2010
Art, like a parking spot, is only as valuable as whoever owns it says it is. So when an elderly trucker buys a painting from a thrift store for $5 and someone tips her off that it may be a long-lost Jackson Pollock worth $50 million, suddenly we‚(TM)re no longer talking about art but a quest that will end much as it begins: in a smoky bar with recollections of famed trucker goings-on from the past. This has ‚sleeper hit‚? written all over it but some shortcomings keep it from being the be-all, end-all work on the trucking industry vs. people who tell us how much stuff is worth. And it‚(TM)s a shame, too, because our hero Teri is quite the character. She has enough personality (and stubbornness) to make this a one-woman show and her tenacity with art critics and collectors is pretty admirable. You get both sides of the coin here (those who think the painting in question is one Pollock misplaced in a drunken stupor and those who think the painting is a very good forgery replicated in a drunken stupor) but the problem is no one really gets enough time to bolster their opinions in the film‚(TM)s short runtime. Something like this demands a substantial runtime and when it clocks in at under 80 minutes, you‚(TM)ll find yourself wanting more (almost like Teri, so I guess this is kind of a meta way of the director saying ‚Gotcha!‚?‚¶ or not). At one point, we talk with a renowned art forger who says this could never be replicated and we spend time with a guy who you can just see over the tip of his nose since it is so high in the air, calling this a joke and a waste of time for the art world. Which brings up a good argument: the ‚art world‚? here comes off as snooty beyond belief, and while that may be accurate (I don‚(TM)t know; my knowledge of the ‚art world‚? ends with graffiti and overpriced designer toys), you get the feeling that this group is a little shortchanged with screen time and opinions. But as far as an engaging 70-some minutes, you could do so much worse. And is the painting an actual Pollock or has Teri lost her mind, along with her family and forensics experts willing to go to bat for her? The film surprisingly answers that question but don‚(TM)t get your hopes up ‚" just like art, what you get out of it is going to vary from person to person.
September 2, 2010
Had to see this after reading the New Yorker article on Peter Paul Biro.
August 9, 2010
nearly everyone in this movie is a jackass
August 9, 2010
A stubborn woman refuses to make an 180,000,000% profit based on her need to feel validated by the art world. She likes all this attention doesn't she? Ultimately, if she had allowed an independent analysis, she might have had her answer, but at this point, I don't think she could handle the possibility that's she's been suckered by a pair of unscrupulous con men who share a stake in the painting's value. If she enlisted the aid of someone other than these two ex-con's as her experts, then I would have more sympathy for her.

Oh well, at least the local country singer wrote a song about her and she drank some beer with her friends at the bar. It doesn't get any better than that, does it?
½ August 5, 2010
Whether or not 73-year-old Teri Horton actually bought a genuine Jackson Pollock painting for $5.00 at a thrift store isn't even what's most interesting about 'Who The #$&% is Jackson Pollock?', but rather the way the art world responds to her claims, despite what a respected art forensic specialist also believes to be true. Too bad Moses directs his film with lame overwrought voiceover (it sounds like Mr. moviefone is breaking down the intricacies of the art world), and in the end, doesn't even treat his subject with the respect it deserves A missed opportunity.
August 5, 2010
A telling film of the obvious as to what goes on in the art world. A small group of people seems to think they know what is and what isn't art. Opinions don't matter to these people. If they don't know about it, it never existed. Although, it is fun to watch these 'art geniuses' dispute a painting with Jackson Pollock's paint, fingerprints, and nuances all over it.
July 19, 2010
A REALLY interesting documentary. The sign of an interesting documentary (to me) is when you're watching it and you almost can't believe that the characters in the film weren't cast. Teri Horton is great ... a 73-year old truck driver with an 8th grade education who is dealing with art dealers and art experts. The art 'experts' don't do the art community any favors by holding their nose in the air at the prospect that a little old country woman from the south stumbled upon a Jackson Pollock painting. I completely agree with Teri, and I think that the painting is legit and the fact that the 'experts' ignore the evidence is unbelievable. It's really worth checking out.
July 2, 2010
Entertaining and thought provoking underdog documentary. There is the unfortunate fact that no real conclusion is reached but at the same time the ambiguity leaves something to ponder. Not a masterpiece or anything but worth a watch for its interesting subject and plenty of seemingly too eccentric to be real characters that pop up.
June 16, 2010
No matter which side you're on, it's fascinating.
June 8, 2010
A dumpster diving granny finds a painting that might be a Jackson Pollock. It is similar to a documentary "My kind Could Paint That". They are both interesting but have unsatisfing endings.
½ May 17, 2010
A pretty out there doc detailing the amazing discovery that a woman may have purchased an authentic Jackson Pollock work of art valued up to 50 million dollars at a thrift store for the bargain basement deal of $5. The film details the woman's crusade to prove that it is authentic while the elitist art world snubs her time and time again. Her hard talking former truck driving uncouth style contrasts so greatly with the snobbish art workd connoseurs that it is hard not to enjoy this piece.
½ May 10, 2010
While Teri Horton, an elderly female truck driver, could have been the subject of a different documentary based solely on her profession, she is instead at the center of this one, trying to determine whether or not she owns an authentic Pollock painting. She comes off as a tough lady who you empathize with, especially when the art experts she meets come off as pompous and belittle her attempts to validate the painting. I have no idea how I first heard about this documentary, but it's a worthwhile one if you have any interest whatsoever in art.