Who the #$&% Is Jackson Pollock? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Who the #$&% Is Jackson Pollock? Reviews

April 29, 2010
Teri Horton is a mother, grandmother and retired truck driver who becomes the center of a heated debate after she buys what a local art teacher suggests may be a genuine Pollock.

She buys the painting for five dollars (a price she haggled down from eight dollars,)at a local thrift store. The painting is for a friend that has been feeling down. If you were to only know this about Teri then you'd know enough. She is strong, blunt and kind-hearted.

That is exactly what director Harry Moses does, he captures her spirit as she becomes the center of a film about the art world. Teri is painted as a heroine, albeit a foul-mouthed, dumpster diving heroine. The art world (museum directors, art gallery owners, art lawyers,) become the shadow that looms, eager to crush those who would dare enter their realm.

Is Teri up to the challenge of facing off against such well-funded viciousness? Her journey, which unravels over a decade, is a fascinating one.
Will the painting be proven to be an original Jackson Pollack? Teri's quest to determine this reveals much about the art world and much more about the strength of a woman. A woman who refuses to be brushed aside, a woman who has worked hard for everything has with great pride.

What is art? Who is it for? Who determines its worth? These and many other questions are asked of us as we watch this quirky, intelligent, affectionate film.
April 25, 2010
Fascinating documentary about a $5 thriftstore find that may - or may not - be a rare Jackson Pollock masterpiece and how the art world reacts to it, refusing even to believe its validity despite pretty conclusive forensic investigation. Shows the art world up for being absolutely packed with nothing but pretentious holier-than-thou useless snobs and knobs.
½ April 22, 2010
Spoiler alert!! Don't read if you haven't seen the film. Loved the film because I studied volumes on Pollock at art and design college. Having no horse in the race, in my humble opinion, it's not a Pollock. "Jack the dripper" went nationwide in Time magazine. Imitators and knockoffs abounded after that. Pollock paintings were less compact around the edges. In the side by side sample analysis, there is a very subtle difference, and that matters, because every flick of the wrist or drip mattered and was controlled by Pollock. But the big red flag? Why settle for a paint can that might have been held by Pollock? Pollock signed his paintings with his own hand prints all around the edges of the originals. There's your finger print. It's hard to tell on a tv screen, but the color just seemed wrong. Too flourescent(?). There are other tests, but those were my first impressions.
I feel for Teri Horton. Great underdog story. The museum guy better not look up in a rain storm. I think he might have played up the "expert" thing just to rub her nose in it. Teri wants it to be a Pollock. I want it to be a Pollock. But if it's not a Pollock, all the grit and determination in the world won't make it a Pollock. My advice, take the 9 million, buy everybody a few rounds, and have a good laugh.
½ April 12, 2010
Excellent, and well crafted documentary.
½ March 22, 2010
You do not get a whole lot out of the story that you can't figure out in the first five minutes, but you do get a look at the art world and how some people can be so ridiculous. I think it's a Jackson Pollock; the fingerprint was all I needed to know the truth.
½ March 14, 2010
Awesome documentary about a woman buying a Pollock for $5 at a thrift store and then having the art world thumbs their noses at her.
March 8, 2010
I'm a bit of an artist (please see profile pics), but I'm no art history buff. I have my fair share of general knowledge and can certainly decipher major artists works, but to identify an original from a fake is a whole different universe (please see "F for Fake" by Orson Welles).

This documentary is as such, a woman buys a painting at bargain only to learn that it may possibly worth tens of millions of dollars sue to the fact that it may be an original piece by who else but Jackson Pollock. The film follows the Teri Horton's tale, not so much about how it came into here possession, but who she was treated by members of the "art community" while attempting to get it authenticated. The film is definitely taking sides and demonizes the "art community," which is the downfall of the feature. Interviewing a few pretentious assholes and having them represent a whole group of people is not documenting anything. I'm a person who likes my documentaries to inform rather than point fingers (See "Bigger, Stronger, Faster"), but there are exceptions to the rule (see "The King of Kong").

Anyhow, the film is entertaining enough for a recommendation, but I'm certainly satisfied after a single viewing. The story is peculiar and interesting, but it fails to reach any depth or emotion with anyone involved. If you don't enjoy the tale documented, at least you have an hours worth of great artwork to look at...
March 2, 2010
A solid doc, but I wish it would have had a more compelling narrative. It just seems to...end. A shame, because the subject is so interesting.
February 27, 2010
I think it's the real deal. Makes me hate art snobbery even more.
½ February 21, 2010
I don't really know a lot about the famous Jackson Pollock and this documentry really shed some light on him for me. The story was really quite captivating and the personality of these people were really quite something to watch. I really don't understand how Jackson Pollock became famous with those ugly paintings (if you want to call it a painting) he made. Seeing as how he always got drunk before doing each painting made lot of sense to. I learned a lot about the modern art world and how a person has to authenticate a painting before it is sold. I thought Paul Biro was a really cool guy because he used forensics to help identify who the painting was by and where it came from. Ms. Horton had a really cool background to talk about, she was a very interesting person. Though this movie may look like a cool family art movie, it is definately not. Ms. Horton talks trash most of the film and drinks with her other older friends. She talks about how she once tried to commit suicide and the story that she told art dealers was rather vulgar. A good movie for every art lover to watch.
½ February 6, 2010
You ain't gonna believe this $#!T.
Dumpster diving, yard-sale a buyin', thrift-store a robbing you blind sucka. Grannie got the goods and she ain't a sellin.
January 31, 2010
Wonderful, but ultimately pointless.
½ January 17, 2010
This was a great movie. Highly entertaining and insightful.
January 12, 2010
A straight forward look at the Art Industry and an interesting blip by a woman who is challenging the bullshit. No fancy graphs or CG, but some artistic shots and relevant information with the parties involved. The direction remains neutral, even though the facts found through scientific investigation seem quite in favor of the protagonist Teri Horton. This is what the news should be like. This is not a biography about Jackson Pollock, though there is enough information to gain an appreciation for his work. It's too bad that art history is subject to the idiotic bureaucracy of the industry, as no doubt if the piece were accepted, it would change the look on Pollock's work, such as that he was using acrylic paints which the art experts said would have been impossible.
December 11, 2009
The art world is filled with a bunch of dumbass. I loved Teri Horton, she's a fiesty grandma. This was a lot of fun to watch and it's a blast to root for Teri against a world that seems completely asinine in it's belief that "provenance" conquers forensic evidence.
½ October 30, 2009
Way better & more entertaining then My Kid Could Paint That
October 27, 2009
While this was a good movie it was more of retelling then documenting. It felt more like an investigative piece for the news. The film consists mostly of interviews of people who were involved in the discovery of the painting and the opinion of those who have seen the painting. The film produces the evidence and leans more towards the idea that this painting is in fact a Pollock but essentially it is up to the view to decide. It is a fun human interest but isnā??t a hard hitting documentary.
October 14, 2009
Jackson Pollack was a brilliant artist and an all-time master. Teri Horton is a dumb redneck who couldn't tell her ass from a barn. Does accomplish one thing, there are as many snobs in this world as rednecks. An interesting mix of pop culture, but the film falls on its face in the end.
September 21, 2009
A decent doc, but frustrating. The art world denies proof over feeling, and this woman did not even know about Pollock but is suddenly an expert. Forget whether it's a Pollock or not, it points out terrible flaws in humanity when neither side can be reasonable. Great opening line though...
½ September 10, 2009
I found it especially appealing given the recent discovery of several Dali works at a Texas Salvation Army store. What a fun and interesting little movie. Shows the ins and outs of the skewed art world: Who decides What is authentic and How? It sheds light on prejudices (in this case due to class) in the art world. If I were teaching this semester I'd definitely show this movie!