Wholly Moses! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wholly Moses! Reviews

November 4, 2016
Very funny. Once again Laraine did a pretty good job.
April 11, 2016
One of the worse movies Moore ever made and with this cast that's doubly bad.
½ July 25, 2015
Toothless and mostly laugh-less, this post-Brian biblical comedy amounts to a bunch of lazy sketches with a thin thread. An all star cast of comics is wasted in bit roles, and it has nothing of consequence to say about the bible or faith despite the premise of an alternate Moses.
January 29, 2014
A sad affair. The filmmakers thought it would be a good idea to bring together a bunch of celebrities - like a variety show - but the problem is they didn't have much of a story. Setting it during biblical times with Dudley Moore's character playing someone like Moses, may have sounded like a half-decent pitch but unfortunately they forgot to hire comedic writers. It's as if they just ended up relying on the comedy stars to "be funny". Nope. Didn't work. There isn't a single laugh in this terribly boring mess. Richard Pryor is a mild highlight. But considering three minutes of his wacky expressions are the only memorable thing, I think it's safe to say, one can skip this movie. Weirdest bit? John Ritter as the devil in a scene that couldn't be more mundane.
½ January 9, 2014
this is actually a very good movie, with a great cast. it helps to know something about the 'slave experience in pharoanic egypt'. herschel 'did' god, real well according to the fallen angel.
½ April 25, 2012
This is funny from the beginning to the end. I cracked up in some scenes and others was horrified. What's best is that it will make you laugh. What isn't is that this movie is chuck full of sin.
½ March 1, 2012
A few moments of laughter, but overall quite disappointing. I guess I'll stick with Life Of Brian.
½ September 30, 2011
There are no words that could adequately express how horrible this movie is.
½ September 24, 2011
Let the orgy commence

Two tourists traveling on a painful tour of the Middle East are participating in some biblical site seeing. They stray off the beaten path and wander into a cave. Within the cave they come across a scroll that tells the tale of a biblical character called Hershel whose life ran parallel to Moses. Hershel also spoke to god and felt he was the chosen one; unfortunately, Moses steals his thunder.

"That god is all powerful, you witless ass."

Gary Weis, director of Young Lust, Things we did Last Summer, and a Jimmy Hendrix and Beach Boys documentary, delivers Wholly Moses! The storyline for this picture may have been trying to capitalize on the success of such films as Time Bandits and the Monty Python pictures. Unfortunately, this film's brand of humor was dry and produced few laughs. The acting was solid for this genre of film and contained Dudley Moore, Richard Pryor, Dom DeLuise, Laraine Newman, and James Coco.

"Shouldn't you be in chains?"

My wife came across this movie while flicking through the channels and decided to give it a shot. While my score doesn't reflect it, I did enjoy watching this movie and seeing the plot unfold. Unfortunately, this was a non-funny comedy that doesn't live up to its potential or measure up well to other films in this genre. This is worth seeing when it airs on cable but isn't worth going out of your way to catch.

"This is my first orgy."

Grade: C
January 3, 2010
This is theee best movie!!! I watch this everytime I need a good lauph Dudley moore at his best he thinks god is speeking to him in the whole show and hes not he is speeking to mosses around the corner makes ya wounder if this could have been hahahah If a funny guy was messin things up back in the day I love the giants bigg undies hahahah lord and the lady that turns to a pillar of salt and the muti boobied sculptures.. this is just a great little flick if you like The Jerk With Steave Martin then you will like this !! mostely all the stars in this are loong dead now and i just am rilly happy they left this tresure behind :)
½ July 18, 2009
½ March 12, 2009
good little movie about Moses's brother-in-law who thought God was talking to him to get the Slaves out of bondage
July 26, 2008
it's herchel, almost moses. this is a funny movie, especially if you like those old 80s comedies. it's got a great lineup of funny people.
June 19, 2008
a pretty good movie that is alot like the monty python movie "life of brian".
April 7, 2008
This film was so bad that my girlfriend and I broke up after it.
½ March 31, 2008
Piles of deadpan humor and a plot that's straight out of Monty Python.