Who's the Caboose? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Who's the Caboose? Reviews

June 8, 2015
This little late '90s mockumentary could have been a lot better, but still had its high points. Director/star, Sam Seder, really got an amazing cast of '90s (and eventually '00s) comic performers to play various archetypes in his film about the heinously contrived world of Hollywood stardom.

Sarah Silverman steals the film as Susan Underman, a struggling New York actor who leaves The Big Apple for Tinsel Town to try to land a part in a sitcom - ANY sitcom. Her boyfriend, Max (Seder), follows along and gets more than he bargained for. But the real story is formed by the representation of the Hollywood audition process, the entire L.A. scene and the shallow, fake, hollow, heartless and greedy souls who inhabit every human shell in the industry. It gets less funny and more depressing as the point is driven home.

I can't say there was anything inherently bad with the premise or the performances or even the flow of the story, but over all, it wasn't as funny as it should have been and really ended up as more of a bummer than light comedic fare.
½ April 27, 2014
'Who's the Caboose?' is a daringly unvarnished look at the shark-infested waters of Hollywood's double-talk and ruthlessly superficial professional relationships formed during "Pilot Season," and the desperation boiling beneath the surface of the scene.

I appreciate that the mockumentary format serves the authenticity of the story but it's realism is earned at a great sacrifice; the film is not engaging, it successfully delivers a very authentic feeling story but the intentional blandness of 'real-life' negates any possible emotion we might be feeling for the characters.

The movie explores the uphill battle of actors breaking from underground comedy clubs to mainstream sitcom success but what struck me the most was how many fantastic comedians are criminally underutilized in their comedic capacity. Naturally mischievous Sarah Silverman portraying an irritable and neurotic bore, ludicrously funny David Cross barely gets a peek of screen time and H. John Benjamin whose wry voice you have heard in so many great cartoons playing an officious, effervescent lawyer. It's an arm-wrestle between miscast roles and an aggressively dry script.

It's okay, but if you sort-of liked what you saw, I recommend watching the far superior 'Swingers' which came out a year prior, similar fare but done with greater style and a more engaging emotional core.
½ November 29, 2012
This mockumentary starring Sarah Silverman and Sam Seder(who also wrote and directed) is about the period of time in Hollywood in which all the new pilots for shows are cast and shot for the next TV season. While I like the cast and found it mildly amusing, really this isn't a terribly funny fake documentary, but it has it's character moments, but it isn't nearly as strong as the kind of work Christopher Guest has put out in this sub-genre of comedy.
April 2, 2012
20%
This was painful to watch, as the documentary aspect insulted my intelligence by explaining everything that was going on at all times and not even a plethora of comedians like Sarah Silverman, Todd Barry, Marc Maron and David Cross can lift this poorly written dreck out of the mire.
½ December 11, 2011
While I'm sure it's exaggerated, the Hollywood fakery and douchiness reach critical mass in a funny movie with great cameos.
½ November 23, 2011
One of Sara Silverman's earliest films; which shows subtle touches of her candid humor that has since become more refined.
½ May 29, 2011
A brilliant satire of show business in Hollywood featuring lots of (very young) familiar faces of the L.A. comedy scene. It made me yearn to be actively participating in show business, and I have no idea what that says about me. I probably just hate myself. But yeah, good movie.
April 6, 2011
loved it. Perfect tone. Super funny.
April 3, 2011
I love Sarah Silverman in EVERYTHING...exept this. This mockumentary is garbage and the only thing interesting about it was the cameos of other comedians..other than that it was a was of an hour and a half for me.