Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Reviews

½ July 2, 2015
A much-acclaimed play, but save for some excellent, witty dialogue, particularly from Burton's character, I don't see the appeal. Burton and Taylor's on-screen rapport is legendary and this film lives up to it. They feed off one another brilliantly.
½ June 18, 2015
Raw and intense. Great performances.
May 17, 2015
An outstanding performance from Taylor and a clever screenplay make this compulsory viewing. It is interesting to see that happens to the characters over the course of an evening. Although at times the settings seemed a little like a stage play (the movie is based on a play of the same name), the lighting is moody and fits perfectly. AAN 1001
½ April 11, 2015
Virtually flawless. A must see!
March 30, 2015
Brutal. Vicious. Dirty. I feel dirty.
February 7, 2015
This is shot beautifully and acted fantastically but man, I just couldn't get into it. I have a hard time thinking of this as black comedy-- It was too vicious for the sake of being vicious half the time, which just isn't funny for me. The young couple is the comic relief really, but George and Martha are just too realistic to do anything other than put a bad taste in my mouth. Obviously this is all that the triumph of Burton and Taylor's acting ability but eh, I gotta keep this at arms length.
½ January 19, 2015
Seemed like overkill to me, with very little payoff at the end.
January 8, 2015
Society's expectations on marriage culminate into the slow destruction of romantic love. Mike Nichols' adaptation of ''Who is afraid of Virginia Woolf'' portrays through its strong dialogue, outstanding performances and gorgeous cinematography, the horrors of a crumbling marriage in a very entertaining fashion.
½ December 8, 2014
This is the first time I have seen an Elizabeth Taylor movie and I can't wait to see more. She is on fire in this movie and earned that Oscar. Burton is also fantastic in this and kept me hooked for even some of the more calmer moments. George Segal and Sandy Dennis are also quite good. Mike Nichols is the master of dialogue driven films often times made for the stage first and just adapts them so well for the screen.
December 6, 2014
a roller coaster of a film that is definitely worth seeing especially for the performances by Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton
½ November 27, 2014
One of the best on-screen duos of all-time! A must-see classic. Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton burst onto the screen with a chemistry rarely seen in modern cinema.
November 25, 2014
Elizabeth Taylor gives a tour details force performance in this exploration into relationships and psyche. Taylor should give off the impression of scenery chewing, but pitches her performance to match Richard Burton's slightly more reserved performance and Sandy Dennis's ingenue. It truly is a master class in performance and director Mike Nichols steps back and lets us enjoy the show with a light hand that never gets in the actors way. The script is sharp as a razor and definatly rewards the attentive listener. It's a classic for a reason.
½ November 23, 2014
absolute shit. elizabeth taylor's propensity for overacting shows an emotional intelligence insulting to the already petulant faculties of her character.
November 22, 2014
The challenge in making a movie about detestable people is to prevent the movie from becoming detestable by extension. Being detestable is quite a bit easier than being likable, so it is no great feat to write characters like George (Richard Burton), Martha (Elizabeth Taylor), and the feckless young couple they make privy to their spats. But to make such characters compelling and sympathetic as well-a necessity if the audience is to care about the juvenile antics happening on screen-is much more challenging. Ernest Lehman's screenplay and Mike Nichols' directing are not up to the task. Burton and Taylor, unsurprisingly, are, and only their acting makes the film watchable. In an early scene Taylor gets the chance to impersonate Bette Davis, which she does remarkably well. Still, viewers seeking an intelligent film on the theme of domestic dysfunction would do better to watch Liz in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (1958).
½ November 22, 2014
Intense. Frighteningly intense. With memorable lines, starting with "plowing the pertinent wives" and ending at " historical inevitability" and "hump the hostess". Not sure there is another female screen legend with such an ability to yell with abandon! What a better way to remember Mike Nichols's great career than which his first, and thoroughly classic and well respected drama!
November 21, 2014
It's based on a play, so the film is not particularly fast paced, but this is as rewarding as cinema can get in its performances, screenwriting, and directing. Mike Nichols is able to extract probably Elizabeth Taylor's best performance of all time. The script is engaging, controversial, and just demands your attention. This is just a lesson in acting from the cast.
September 29, 2014
The first time I saw Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, I remember thinking to myself, "What is this?" But not like that-not in a questioning or dismissive way. I asked because I could not understand how I felt so close to the characters. I had never experienced that sensation-at least not outside of my books, not in the form of real people saying their lines on a screen in front of me. Now, many years removed from that first viewing, I am inclined to write-off my reaction to my unfamiliarity with cinema's canon. But I believe I would be wrong to do that. Surely, it is due, in part, to the original playwright, Edward Albee, but I think this movie captures its audience with the reality of it all. The characters seem real, and the dialogue does too. The events and the stories are all too familiar. The tragedy of life is laid out before us, and we cannot help but weep for it.
½ September 8, 2014
This is a truly disturbing movie with great performances from the four leads.
August 24, 2014
Yes these are great performances but I was bored stupid watching this.
August 5, 2014
I often imagine I'm Elizabeth Taylor in this film...