Why Don't You Play in Hell? Reviews

• Jan 14, 2019

I'm a fan of every Sion Sono film I've seen except for this one. Found it to be pretty stupid which puts me in the minority group who didn't get the humour. It was funny in the start but then just got irritating after a while.

• Sep 26, 2018

Can't stop yourself from liking this.

Can't stop yourself from liking this.

• Aug 17, 2017

There is so much going on you won't be bored. If you like movies you will enjoy the references to a bygone era of Bruce Lee movies, 70's action, yakuza movies, etc. it is a dark comedy/yakuza movie/fantasy/action/love story/arthouse piece and that is far as I am going to go to classify it. Enjoy!

• Jun 21, 2017

Its Bofinger with a little more style and a lot more blood. Its absurd fun and I had a great time watching it. If you like funny violent movies you will love this movie. however, much like Bofinger, its a film you only need to see once. This film is very funny, and cartoonish. I think it would be an easy movie to market and sell to hipster americans, but hipsters are also often millennials and tend refuse to watch anything with subtitles. So many great films like this coming out of Japan in the last 20 years and all we get here is more Marvel movies.

• Apr 03, 2017

That was... interesting...

That was... interesting...

• Nov 25, 2016

I think Sion Sono has a mild "M Night Shyamalan complex". Most of the movie comes across as bland, but then he kicks you in the ass with a masterful scene. This happens just enough to make it one of my favorites.

• Jun 09, 2016

Aika sekopäistä menoa. Valitettavasti kerronta on tyypillisen aasialainen. Leffan viimeinen puoli tuntia on melkoista veripalttua. Tosin kokonaisuutta tasoittaa selkeä sarjakuvamaisuus ja väkivaltaan sisältyvä huumori. Oletettavasti leffan idea perustunee Manga-sarjakuvaan.

• Feb 18, 2016

Sono reaches a level of insanity that most filmmakers wouldn't even dare to bring forth, turning Why Don't You Play In Hell? into a unique cinematic extravaganza that delivers more than you can chew.

• Dec 17, 2015

A one of a kind movie that will never be topped.

A one of a kind movie that will never be topped.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Dec 11, 2015

I wouldn't even know how to begin describing this film's insanity. Let's start off by saying that, realistically, it isn't a very consistent film. It's not that the film is gimmicky or it's full of shtick, but there's so much going on here, so many story elements, strands, characters, themes and genres that there's bound to be some consistency issues here. Honestly, if it wasn't for the insanity that is the last act, I would've rated this film at three stars. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a fun, and ridiculously absurd, film, but it didn't always click to me. Like I was watching this over-the-top, tribute to the greatness of 35mm film and the classics and yet parts of the film just felt really forced to me. Granted, this is is based on a script that was 15 years old, though I doubt it was filmed as is without any revisions, but there were some parts, not many, but they were there, that just felt like the film was being strange just for the fuck of it. Not to say that there isn't a purpose, or method, to its madness, but parts of it just didn't really click to me. Let me just say that this is in the minority and I thought this movie, for the most part, was quite fun, but it doesn't really kick into next gear until, obviously, the final act when it just loses its freaking mind and becomes one of the craziest Japanese films I've seen in a long time. I love the fact that these two rival Yakuza clans are allowing their legit final battle be filmed. Like the absurdity of Hirata, working with the Muto clan to film a movie starring Mitsuko, in order for her mother, once she comes out of prison, to see her as a star, going to the Kitagawa clan and trying to convince them to allow them to film this is so absurd and funny, but it works within the film's context. The third act itself is stylishly violent and over-the-top. Like I can't put it into words, it definitely has to be seen to be believed. I wouldn't say this is the perfect movie, it's quite flawed, but the fact that it embraces the crazier side of things, is joyfully manic and fast paced pretty much makes this film a blast to watch. It's a film that simply cannot be describe accurately in any review, there'll be too much that is missed, but I'd definitely recommend it. It is quite a bit of fun.