Widows' Peak - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Widows' Peak Reviews

½ September 23, 2016
A diverting and well-acted English period piece with just the right mix of comedy and mystery.
½ January 9, 2016
Pleasant period piece with good performances all around and a murder mystery that runs in the more to Murder, She Wrote than to Agatha Christie.
August 11, 2014
Even Joan Plowright couldnt save this stinker. Natasha Richardson was awful. BUT I also made the most AMAZING discovery: Mia Farrow & Gwyneth Paltrow look alike! Yes, they really do, watch this film & get a good look at Mia. I never noticed the resemblance before, its in the cheekbones & eyes. Maybe because they are both Jewish??
June 25, 2014
There's a mystery... ;-)
February 27, 2013
Really good movie! Loved it.
½ November 18, 2012
Hipster Marc Vincenti's opinion is invalid
May 8, 2012
Well-made, good casting, and a charming story.
October 1, 2011
Irish movie based on prejudice of the British, amusing tale with a twist.
June 6, 2011
an interesting movie about women who do the most cunning things when you cross them superb acting job about widow's who are more dangerous then they seem
June 30, 2010
uk this felt like a very long movie
April 24, 2010
Predictable...but I thought Natasha Richardson's performance and accent was great. I also think it's interesting that Mia Farrow got to play a role written specifically for her mother, Maureen O'Sullivan. It must have been a special role for her.
November 7, 2009
Enjoyable comedy, a little too talky sometimes, but it does amuse and entertain. Wonderfully cast, especially Miranda Richardson. Mia Farrow is curiously miscast however. Nicely produced and well made.
November 7, 2009
Enjoyable comedy, a little too talky sometimes, but it does a muse and entertain. Wonderfully cast, especially Miranda Richardson. Mia Farrow is curiously miscast however. Nicely produced and well made.
October 24, 2009
I just love British humor and even though there are only a few English actors in this film, it was filmed in a British village and such wonderful scenery and countryside. Putting that aside, Joan Plowright, one of my favorite British actresses, was outstanding in her performance. She has that dry comedy and she made me laugh throughout the movie. She is a true actor. When it comes to the last time I saw Mia Farrow, I simply couldn't think of the last time. She also gave a stunning performance and I was glad to see her back in the movies. All in all you will laugh and enjoy the mess that happens and as me, hopefully be surprised at the ending.
½ October 7, 2009
Fun and satisfying. Here's to old clucking hens and dreadful Americans.
August 15, 2009
John Irvin's adaptation of a mystery novel concerns an Irish town in the early 1920s where a newcomer threatens to upset their gossip-laden lifestyle. In this town, people are dying following WW1 (from gas exposure or something) and there are a lot more women than men. When a new woman from the Americas comes to town, the spinsterous old town leader gets skeptical while their already spunky socialite hatches a plan to kick her out. Charming fun. Not hard movie to figure out.
March 25, 2009
i enjoy this comedy with a touch of mystery very much! watch it and you will know why.
March 13, 2009
A light, comical film that is like a breath of fresh air in the stuffy world of cinema. This one never, ever takes itself to seriously?even with a tremendous cast of some of the finest actresses ever. Yet, it?s not laugh-out-loud funny?it?s a quiet, subtle film that keeps the audience smiling and guessing. Joan Plowright stars as the matriarch of a section of a town in Ireland known as Widow?s Peak, since all of the residents of the ?section? are widows. Mia Farrow plays a woman who?s a bit out of her league among the widows but they include her anyway (we later find out why) and Natasha Richardson plays a wealthy American from England whose husband died and left her with money and a streak of viciousness. Plowright plays her air of superiority perfectly?she?s not too over-the-top but she?s just daft enough to make it seem convincing. Richardson is perfect?I honestly did not expect it when she did mean-spirited things?though I bought it just enough as the plot wants us to (since the surprise ending fits all of the pieces together). Mia Farrow, at first, seemed a little out of place to me as an Irish widow, but after watch a bit I totally forgot I was watching an American actress putting on an accent. The entire film is just a pleasure to watch?it?s funny when it needs to be and exciting at times. A true treasure!
½ February 18, 2009
My Roku box doesn't have subtitles, so I had a hell of a time following this movie. I never did figure out why the one character was feeling so murderous. It was also boring, to the point where I skipped the last 15 minutes of the movie. (There was about to be a courtroom scene, and I just couldn't take it.)
January 23, 2009
looks interesting...joan plowright is fantabulous!!!!!!!!!