Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself Reviews

January 24, 2015
Deeply morbid, deeply morbid. Also, a deeply bookish and moving indie flick.
November 10, 2014
Pounds, shillings and pence and an L reg taxi. Not only that Horst's PC is post decimilation. Mr Scherfig should chastise his his property master!!
October 14, 2014
With a title like this I can understand why people may avoid this film but I recommend they try it since it is a great film that's a delight to watch.

Although it's very offbeat & black at times it's a funny film with all very real & likeable characters that you believe in.

The story is simply about a man who wants out & finds life in an unusual way & finds his life is important to some others. It's not a typical film but it's a delight to watch, a real pleasant surprise.
August 17, 2014
man this is such a strange weird movie 2 watch, but this is such an amazing movie 2 watch......i have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is such a great movie but it is such a strange movie as well......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie.....i think that jamie sives, adrian rawlins, shirley henderson, lisa mckinlay, mads mikkelsen (From the brilliant tv series Hannibal), play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this comedy/drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.....i think that julia davis (from the brilliant tv series nighty night), was great throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is a really strange movie but it is such a fantastic movie 2 watch........its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.....

The film has been well received by audiences. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, based on 79 reviews, gives the film an 86% approval, the average rating being 7.1/10.

man this is 1 strange movie but it is such a fantastic movie 2 watch it is a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch it is a really really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is a really really strange movie 2 watch but it is such a fantastic movie 2 watch it is such a really well written movie its got such a fantastic cast throughout this movie.....i think that this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie......
½ April 6, 2014
funny and touching yeah, but it was near impossible not to be non-judgemental about wilbur and alice. (poor harbour.)
stories with "these elements" get me riled up, grrrr.
p.s. didn't dig the convenient ending.
January 27, 2013
Deeply touch , but mediocre
December 6, 2012
Well, this was definitely a surprise! Dark, yes. Comedy, not so much. Really fantastic writing, and the slow development of characters that aren't contrived or condescending. Even as tired as I was while watching this, I could not stop watching. I found this story mesmerizing....well done.
May 11, 2012
The movie's subject matter is very dark and downbeat, but somehow the director manages to make a romantic comedy out of it. As bizarre as it may sound, it actually works. There were several scenes where I wanted to cry and laugh at the same time... I guess that's the idea of a black comedy.
½ November 26, 2011
dark comedy done right. and as exhausting as it would be, i kinda wish i had a suicidal bf. "what excitement awaits me at home, on the kitchen floor?!?", i would say.
November 15, 2011
I found this film difficult to get into. The story is good, as is the cast, but something about it doesn't quite gel.
½ October 17, 2011
9 June 2011

I watched this again...its so crap i always forget what its about...never again...NEVER AGAIN!
September 1, 2011
Very bleak but occasional humorous movie. A little uneventful and predictable though.
August 20, 2011
Mixed feelings on this one. On one hand, very original story and well cast (even Shirley Henderson is very good here. Not nearly as "screetchy" as normal - I am sure she puts that voice on!), also quite funny in a dark way thanks to Julia Davis (I can never take her seriously. I just see Jill from NIghty Night whenever I see her!).
There was just something about the story itself that didn't sit quite right with me. It seemed horrible for Wilbur and Alice to be carrying on behind Harbour's back, and then the final scene seemed disrespectful to Harbour. I don't want to spell it all out and ruin it for those who have not seen this, but those who have will know what I mean. Perhaps I am missing the point, I am not sure...
August 17, 2011
It looks fine and the acting is good but 'Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself' doesn't work. The movie is manipulative and drenched in tedious sentimentality. Worst of all it isn't funny.
August 14, 2011
Where is it in Scotland where you can just walk into a hospital and see your doctor any time you choose? Moreover than that, where is it in Scotland where you can be suicidal, rude and angry and have women throwing themselves at you wanting to lick your ear?
August 11, 2011
An excellent film, though let down ever so slightly by its inconclusive ending.
June 22, 2011
Wilbur (Jamie Sives) wants to kill himself, but fails everytime he tries to. He always ends up being rescued, joining his suicidal support group hosted by the extraordinary Dr. Horst (Mads Mikkelsen). Luckily Wilbur is a cynical misanthrope and fits into this group very well. Until the rest of the group throws him out.

To be under protection, Wilbur moves in with his brother Harbour (Adrian Rawlins). Their father passed away and now Harbour runs the family business. A bookshop. And what a bookshop they have! The kind of bookshop I'd like to live in for a year or two.

Harbour meets Alice (Shirley Henderson), who works as a cleaningwoman in a hospital. They soon become a couple and live a fairly happy life together. Still rescuing Wilbur from killing himself. But then something unexpected happens and Harbour sickens from a serious disease. Wilbur suddenly is not the one everyone worries about anymore.

Wilbur: Does "Horst" mean sausage in German?
Dr. Horst: No, but you are close.

Wilbur: Are you somehow related to the "Man They Call Horst"?
Dr. Horst: Yes, I believe so. On my mother's side.

Harbour: What's it like, being dead?
Wilbur: It's dull as dishwater. It's silent and completely dark... it's like being in Wales.
½ April 29, 2011
A gentle black comedy that is typical of the genre in that it does not leave a lasting impression - I realised I had seen this a few years ago when I sat down to watch it this evening. Still, it has some great characters, several very funny moments and is touching at times also. It won't be to everyone's taste but it features the always watchable Mads Mikkelsen and Shirley Henderson if you need a reason to investigate.
½ December 12, 2010
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this movie.
November 16, 2010
Depressing and largely pointless.