Wilby Wonderful - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wilby Wonderful Reviews

½ December 26, 2010
Just nothing happens. there is a few funny moments but the movie tells you nothing until the end... if you can make it that far... thanks Prab and Netflix. You win again.
October 11, 2010
Rewatch. Still charming.
October 11, 2010
you will regret renting it.
August 16, 2010
very strange and boring movie
June 21, 2010
This is a quiet, introspective "slice of life" film about a small, somewhat conservative island Canadian town named Wilby. The plot is nearly non-existant. The only real external conflict is that the gay population of the town may be outed and the wooded area they hang out in developed over. Most of the conflict is internal and interpersonal. Everyone seems to be dealing with a turning point in their lives. Thankfully the acting is stellar enough to pull this off. Otherwise this would be a very boring movie.
June 11, 2010
A lot like Canada itself; nice. Its an unassuming film with charm and a generous spirit. People make mistakes, learn and get on with their lives. Even the venal are forgiven. I'm glad I watched it but I probably wont remember it tomorrow.
½ May 24, 2010
This is a quiet little movie. I wasn't sure what I was expecting when I came into it so I think it would improve with a second viewing. It follows a group of people through a day of turbulence and ends, if not happily, at least hopefully. There were some pretty interesting songs thrown in there too.
December 13, 2009
so sooooooooooooooooooooooo
½ November 14, 2009
Dark comedy. I like the opening scene during the credits. It really helps set the history of the setting and its society.
½ September 17, 2009
didnt think a huge amount for this, it was in the new release section which is rather random....had alot of strength just not in the best mood to see it.
½ August 20, 2009
Didn't like it at all
½ May 30, 2009
This movie was so into itself. It was boring, the characters weren't interesting, the dialogue was trying to be more intellectual than what it was. Overall horrible film.
May 4, 2009
this movie is pretty cool...it shows all the intertwining personalities that make up an extremely small town. everyone has hidden motives, and eventually people's true colors will show...thats the way it works. I'm not a fan of one of the twists in the end...but other than that its awesome.
½ April 24, 2009
Wilby is not wonderful. But the movie does a nice job of making you think sometimes Wilby gets close to wonderful. Like a lot of those small, obscure, cut off places. I guess this is a small, obscure movie too - hell it took 5 years to get to NZ! I worried the writer/director combo might strangle the movie, but no. The pace was slow, but it was constant. Not uneven. Nice work. And Callum Keith Rennie is the Canadian Daniel Craig. I have renewed interest in Battlestar Galactica.
April 18, 2009
A wonderful inde-style film. Great characters, interesting story, and plenty of quirky-ness. Worth the watch!
½ February 3, 2009
Wilby Island is full of people who go through the same things that other people around the world go through.
The movie feels like the pilot to a television series that was never picked up because of how dull and boring the characters are. This is a character piece and after an hour, if they haven't put you to sleep it's because you left the room to find something else to do.
January 25, 2009
This was a little slow and sappy for my tastes but it was a cute little film, and not too long. It had a few actors in it that I am familiar with. Most of them are Canadian since this is a Canadian production. This is good if you like the actors in it and are in the mood for something really light taking place in a small maritime island town. It's got equal parts light and dark humor with teen love and adult relationship drama. The plot and style just seems about the quality of a Hallmark made for television movie. There is nothing new or groundbreaking here.
½ January 21, 2009
I turned it off after 20 minutes.
January 11, 2009
I love seeing Paul Gross and Callum Keith Rennie together, especially outside of Due South. This is a really cute movie, also featuring the awesome Ellen Page, I saw her in this way before Juno and definitely knew she had potential as an actress.
½ January 9, 2009
Flawed, but has such interesting characters you can almost look past it. Very slow moving, though, and not for anyone who likes a big story. The acting is great in this. I mainly rented it because it had Ellen Page in it, although her role is not that major, it was one of her earlier ones from before "Juno" etc. Worth a look if you like smaller movies not shot on a large budget.