Wild Bill - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wild Bill Reviews

September 22, 2016
Walter Hill's stab at a Wild Bill Hickok biopic is a muddled mess. Littered with annoying flashbacks, it presents a watered-down and fictionalized account of Kickok's final days. One positive is that Hill would revisit this material again with the excellent HBO series "Deadwood."
½ April 25, 2015
Bridges can sure eat up some film when he wants too and add in Walter Hill and you have a home......well let's call it a sharp single.
March 8, 2015
Good western.

Follows the life of legendary gunslinger and lawman "Wild Bill" Hickok. Gritty and dark, it explores his motivations, relationships, regrets and inner turmoils. Good character development.

On the down side, it does try too hard to contemporise the language and customs in some respects, and loses some focus towards the end.

Great performance by Jeff Bridges, but that's a given.

Good support from Ellen Barkin and John Hurt. Minor cast includes David Arquette, Christina Applegate, Diane Lane, Keith Carradine and Bruce Dern.
October 21, 2014
I remember this film as a kid and not liking it very much. Jeff Bridges plays Wild Bill Hancock and while I remember him bring good in the movie, I didn't find any other enjoyment in the film. It just didn't have a good feel to it.
January 11, 2014
Mostly & only powered by Jeff Bridges' good performance, "Wild Bill" is storytelling nightmare with unnecessary flashy flashback scenes ruining what already is a weird & collapsing story.
½ July 25, 2013
Interesting take on Wild Bill Hickock, again mixing more fable with his real life
May 14, 2013
Jeff Bridges as both the advertised legend and as the very tired soul behind the advertising, sick of whole production even as he keeps the fires stoked. Ellen Barkin and John Hurt ably fill in as seconds, all of us simply waiting for the drama to draw to its infamous closing moments, which flaws a generally interesting take on living with fame.
½ March 25, 2013
Better than average western
February 14, 2013
Despite a loose story that plays fast with history and blatant copying of Stone's 'Black & white for the past' technique, Wild Bill is elevated by a strong cast and good, brisk pacing.
January 11, 2013
Unfortunately a dull effort from Bridges who seems to be willing to play a caricature in order to get an easy paycheque. The supporting cast which has a bunch of talented actors seems to fall into line with Bridges. Get in, have some fun dressing up like coyboys and then get out.
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
½ November 6, 2012
not sure why John hurt was in this, but I do know that watching Bridges shoot people for touching his hat is worth while.
½ July 29, 2012
All star cast, high production values, excellent photography all in search of a meaningful script. This is a chore to watch.
July 14, 2012
I typically enjoy a good western movie, but this one hardly told us the story of Wild Bill Hickok. It was confusing and left too many holes in the story.
½ May 13, 2012
Definitely a good western. Jeff Bridges does a great job as Bill.
February 8, 2012
Stylish and full of action. I enjoyed it and am surprised i didnt watch it before
October 11, 2011
½ October 6, 2011
111005: There's something appealing about this movie which gives it that little extra .5. Not sure what that is however. It's kind of quirky, this film, but it's a modern western and I just can't get enough of those.
½ August 25, 2011
Ya aughta know better that ta touch another man's hat.
August 17, 2011
The main character was wonderfully acted by Jeff Bridges, unfortunately the film's story was too scattered out trying to cover too much of a timeline. The overall cast is well performed, I just didn't care all that much for the direction of the film, it seemed low grade. The story could have been more entertaining than what got delivered. Still not an overall bad attempt.