Wild in the Country - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wild in the Country Reviews

½ October 18, 2015
I love Elvis, Hope Lange and Millie Perkins but the movie was ridiculous. Elvis' acting wasn't the best, his character was all over the place and it had a melodramatic/soap-opera feel.
April 4, 2015
The most freudian Elvis film. Actually pretty enjoyable as the characters are decently well developed but it lags on too long and runs out of steam. Also the convoluted love triangles and overly obvious freudian attractions get cheesy. Nice weaving in of music though and really takes a lot of the best parts from previous Elvis films and incorporates them well.
½ May 3, 2012
Wild in the Country is a solid film. It is about a troubled young man discovers that he has a knack for writing when a counselor encourages him to pursue a literary career. Elvis Presley and Hope Lange give wonderful performances. The screenplay is well written. Philip Dunne did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. Wild in the Country is a must see.
November 26, 2011
I do not understand how this one could not have better/more reviews. It's a serious, decent movie that Elvis gave a remarkable performance in as a troubled writer. It's also something of a tragedy, as the initial lukewarm film response is reportedly what destroyed Elvis' dreams of a dramatic acting career. Yes, it's tragedy, because after this came the wretched, silly, horrible films like Harum Scarum, Clambake (*GAG*) and Kissin' Cousins. If only, if only Tom Parker was NOT Elvis' manager...

Wild in the Country is very Tennessee Williams in nature, very unsentimental until Glenn decides he cares for more than maintaining second-rate jobs and constantly running from his problems. The movie was supposed to end in a character suicide, but ultimately a more up-beat version was chosen instead - not sure if that would have added or detracted from the story, but it certainly would have been very interesting.

My only issues with the movie are some of the unusual/strange camera cuts and angles that made the final edit (for example, the added footage of a bear, deer, and raccoon in the beginning was somewhat odd and didn't follow the "flow" of the rest of the film), but that has nothing to do with Elvis' acting and the cuts are pretty minor. A good, albeit unusual Elvis vehicle, 4.5/5.
½ April 3, 2011
nu are nici o treaba cu recitatu
jjnxn
½ January 13, 2010
It's soap opera but so far above the usual junk Elvis was given to work with with costars, Hope Lange and Tuesday Weld, who can actually act that it seems entirely removed from them. Not his best film, that would be King Creole, but enjoyable.
½ January 8, 2010
One of the few dramas in Elvis' filmography, while not as popular as "Jailhouse Rock" and "King Creole", it's one of his best
June 22, 2009
I'm sorry but I have to say I'm hoping that it was his second cousin in the film cuz otherwise EWW! I get that it was based off a novel, but still, gross. The acting wasn't half bad but the story line wasn't somethign that everyone could get into.
September 25, 2008
Favorite Elvis Movie.
September 1, 2008
This is the second best Elvis movie
½ April 26, 2008
A troubled young man discovers that he has a knack for writing when a counselor encourages him to pursue a literary career.
April 21, 2008
Eek! An Elvis Presley movie that I must never watch!!!
March 13, 2008
an absolutely amazing performance by Elvis Presley. This is a must see for anyone who thinks that Elvis couldn't act. You could tell he was channeling his hero James Dean, and the result was stunning!
February 9, 2008
Aww , use 2 own it video broke sad face
January 29, 2008
Elvis should give emphasis to his pretty voice, and sing more than act, on his movies.
December 22, 2007
If Elvis is supposed to be a writer, I might have to see this
November 21, 2007
AWESOMELY COOL MOVIE...
October 24, 2007
havent seen this movie yet but it should be great because its Elvis