Wild Man Blues - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wild Man Blues Reviews

May 4, 2014
Woody Allen is a strange and get interesting man, and it is notable that practically all his films make use of Jazz music. So a documentary about him and his passions would be interesting.

Jazz music is an interesting tune, and a documentary covering it really needs to focus on someone who has a serious passion for it. And Woody Allen is the perfect choice for that because he has a great passion for the music which he reveals himself to consider the music as his idea of art, and it reveals just how he naturally loves it when he plays it. Wild Man Blues shows Woody Allen playing music and interacting with people in casual situations, so it is an entertaining profile of him which doesn't label him as anything. It doesn't emphasise him as a filmmaker or solely as a musican, it simply shows him as a normal man with versatile passions. And frankly, his natural charm as a person makes the experience of the film entertaining enough even within its limitations simply as a casual documentary about the man during day to day experiences.
As most of Woody Allen's films depict complicated romantic relationships between him playing someone and another woman, Wild Man Blues serves as a front to see what it is really like to be the woman in his life. And as it comes from the year 1997, the year that his relationship with his ex-partner's adopted daughter became public, Wild Man Blues serves as a representation of the kind of relationship that Woody Allen shares with Soon-Yi Priven and contrasts him to the stereotypical nebbish which he always seems to find himself playing. It reveals his natural charm and his respect for people, disregarding the stereotype of the sexual predator which many people label him as. Wild Man Blues reveals the kind of normal man that Woody Allen is and focuses mostly on his day to day life as well as his passion for Jazz music while touching lightly upon his relationship with Soon-Yi Previn. So Wild Man Blues is a nice documentary look at Woody Allen. Though it isn't as deep as I might have hoped and it's subject matter is very limited, Wild Man Blues.
There isn't too much to say about a documentary like Wild Man Blues because it doesn't have too much to cover, but it manages to cover it all well with fine cinematography and an honest look at its character and it's subject matter. It isn't particularly deep, but it does the job.

So Wild Man Blues is a fair look at Woody Allen over the course of several days. It doesn't have too much material to delve into, but it does it well and is an honest film which reveals his passion for Jazz music.
June 18, 2013
There's no reason to watch Wild Man Blues unless you're a huge Woody Allen fan, and even then there's no big insight into Allen's life that isn't hinted at in his own films.
November 4, 2012
Quintessential Woody-Allen! I particularly liked the last scene, when Woody goes to visit his parents and just moments after seeing all the honors and awards he received during his European trip, his father remarks how Woody might have done better as a druggist.
September 9, 2012
Woody Allen, seu lindo!
½ November 2, 2011
For die-hard Allen fans, this is a must-see if only to hear a handful of classic Allen one-liners. There's not a lot of exploration into the music Allen is playing or why he plays it but it does serve as an interesting document of Allen's astonishing international fame in the mid-90s at the height of his scandal phase.
May 2, 2011
It's great to see Woody in his natural habitat - his neurotic tendencies, his anxiety, and most particularly, his love for Soon-Yi. She's a lot smarter and prettier and nicer and more talkative than I envisioned her. I totally get why this film was made, but it doesn't seem like a PR stunt. It seems to genuinely want to answer some hidden question.
December 15, 2010
I was looking for more of an insite into the man. Not necessarily about filmmaking, but more about the man. Maybe about the music for which he's tour performing, but you don't get that here. The travel footage is mostly circumstantial shots of hotels and breakfast and papparazzi. This is fun for a Woody fan, just seeing the cantankorous old fart hanging out.

The performance footage starts out quick and choppy but then the camera lingers more and you get to see some great performances out of the group. Woody especially is quite surprising in a couple of solos bringing great emotion out of the clarinet, an often-annoying sounding instrument.

Stay tuned to the end to see Woody wrestle with his still-unsupportive parents to understand how easily a man become as weird as Mr. Allen.
March 22, 2010
I heart Woody Allen so as you can imagine, I LOVED this documentary. I never saw it when it was originally released and I've had it on my dvr for almost 9 months until finally checking it out last night. Wow. Thank you, again, Barbara Kopple. While this film may not have the haunting power or social relevance of Harlan County USA or American Dream, it still is remarkable on many levels. First and foremost, this is the most intimate interaction that I've ever seen with Woody Allen(and chances are that we'll ever see). The banter between the Woodman and Soon-Yi was fantastic and the scene with Allen's parents was both hilarious and humbling. An absolute must-see for any fans of Woody Allen.
½ November 1, 2009
An amusing and absorbing look at Woody Allen, musician.
July 18, 2009
Extremely entertaining documentary. As a huge fan of the Woodman, and since the DVD's have no features whatsoever, this behind-the-scenes glimpse is priceless. Woody is a fascinating person, he's funny, witty, and actually gets a little pissed now and then. Also he makes great music.
½ January 13, 2009
A terrific behind-the-scenes look at the real Woody Allen. While we get many clues from his movies, we don't get the whole story and, here, director Barbara Kopple reveals another piece of the puzzle comprising this very private, eccentric and idiosyncratic man.
December 26, 2008
Really interesting and entertaining, especially if you love jazz and Woody Allen. Neat to see what he's like in real life...
September 19, 2008
Good to see the Woodman not playing with his pecker, but a clarinet.
½ July 14, 2008
Good documentary...Great music. I don't give a crap about his personal life. He makes good movies and he's funny...
April 10, 2008
This movie is guaranteed to be horrible so here is some Billy Squire for your amusement:

"Now everybody, have you heard
If you're in the game, then the stroke's the word
Don't take no rhythm, don't take no style
Got a thirst for killin' - grab your vial... "

First person to name that song will get an invisible bowl of rice.
December 17, 2007
woody allen is a weird, funny, weirdo. this confirms that. and he is married to his adopted daughter so fucking deal with it you pussies. he is god.
October 16, 2007
Very interesting documentary, especially if you're a fan of Woody Allen.