Wild Reeds (Les Roseaux Sauvages) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wild Reeds (Les Roseaux Sauvages) Reviews

May 9, 2010
Très joli film. Amours adolescentes sur fond de guerre d'Algérie. Elodie Bouchez au naturel. J'en garde un souvenir étonamment précis alors que j'ai vu ce film à sa sortie, en 1994.
½ October 29, 2009
These three actors are never been so good! This is a very intelligent and beautiful coming-of-age story by one of my favorite director of all time (of course).
½ August 7, 2009
Sensitively scripted and directed, this French film makes a refreshing change from the usual American coming of age fodder. Lovely film difficult to find on DVD french title is Les Roseaux Sauvages.
½ July 25, 2009
1994 was a terrific year for film. This French film, Les Roseaux Sauvages, is a prime example of that; it's also one of the most important gay films of the 90s. Director André Téchiné has created a film of striking reverberance with rich characters (not to mention an attractive cast) and soul-stirring sensuality.
½ July 21, 2009
Andre Techine's "Les Roseaux Sauvages" takes us to rural France in the early 1960's, a setting not often seen in modern cinema. Techine recreates the period both aesthetically and in mood, his camera work handling delicate close-ups and far scenic shots with care. The political and sexual subject matter requires mature actors, but Techine's young cast rise to the occasion. Of note is Elodie Bouchez for her impressive debut performance.
½ July 20, 2009
Excellent French film set in 1962 amidst the French Algerian war. It focuses on four students who have their own issues but are all somehow connected. It's a very well written film with great acting and nice direction. There are a lot of wonderul moments in the film, I particularly loved a scene with the teacher in a hospital listening to music, it was pretty amazing. I'm glad I found this film.
½ July 18, 2009
Good French film about a group of young adults growing up in the year of their exams. Much of the film's events feel abrupt, with a good bit of that feeling true to the characters' adolescence and forthrightness, as well as the time period, while a little of it feels forced by the screenplay to move the plot and development of the characters' to where it wants them to go.
June 18, 2009
André Téchiné signe un film sensislb,e intelligent, brillant et rythmé, magnifiquement écrit et interprété par de jeunes interprètes de talents. On y suit avec bonheur les tourments de chacun des protagonistes tissés dans une panoplies de scènes mémorables. Un très beau film.
½ June 4, 2009
Never has adolescence been so hot and so confusing at the same time.
½ May 3, 2009
The director is a master at manifesting naivete, conviction, love, friendship and confusion all steeped in this aura of the perfect Sunday where the sun kisses your face and the future seems like a silly joke.
May 2, 2009
Techine has always been the one director I never quit on. But I'd never seen his most acclaimed work until now. This semi-autobiography truly touches the youth memories of people, and strong contrast between political confronting and sexual indifferences. A masterpiece!
½ March 21, 2009
The common story of adultness given from the aspect of one of my most favorites director Andre Techine. First laborious falls in love and the yellow swimsuit of Maite (elodie Bouchez) in a early autumn scenery.
½ January 1, 2009
A French movie, leading by current big names in show biz like Gael Morel, Elodie Bouchez, Stephane Rideau, Frederic Gorny, dealing with issues of the backdrop of The Algerian War (1954-1962), adolescents' coming-of-age, sexuality anxiety & confusion, etc. The movie was pleasant overall, serious but not heavy. Bouchez was such a sweetie in it.
November 16, 2008
One of the finest French movies I've ever seen about coming of age during the French-Algerian War, which is to say becoming adults not simply smart-ass kids (why am I in this country?). Replete with sexual confusion, academic indifference and adherence, and the consequences of war a small body of water away, 'Wild Reeds' is a masterpiece of naturalism, rich as a novel, and goddamn unforgettable in how it fails to strike a single wrong note. It's the only film by André Téchiné and by most accounts his best but on the basis of it alone, I purchased the box set to watch them all.
November 13, 2008
Yves Lavandier a dit "â?¦le traitement est d'une pauvrete cosmique". Il parlait d'une certaine cette de ce film. Il a aussi dit que cette certaine scene etait representative du style narratif du film. Moi je me suis simplement ennuye dur.
½ November 6, 2008
Les Roseaux Sauvages (Wild Reeds) (1994): "Your're too weak to work and too weak to leave. What's left?" - Professor Morelli

I'm working hard to learn the French language in anticipation of an August 2009 trip to the Champagne Region to visit with my friend Paul. To that end, I'll be increasing the number of French films that I watch. This acclaimed film involves early 1960s young adults in the midst of upheaval during a time when France was struggling to deal with the Algerian War.

The acting in the film is impressive, particularly between the young actors. Emotions flow naturally and there's a familiarity that feels completely genuine.
September 17, 2008
A French coming-of-age drama about an incredibly (and almost unbelievably) mature, logical, and emotionally expressive group of students at a French boarding school in the '60s who are dealing with issues of love, war, and homosexuality. Nothing altogether spectacular. Except that Serge and Maïté are both pretty hot.
½ August 17, 2008
a heavy coming of age story of filled with loss, life and unrequited love.

Set in the 1960s at a French Boarding school and the town/countryside around, with the French/Algerian War as a backdrop, a bizarre love rectangle emerges between teens Francois, Henri, Serge and Maite. A complicated quilt of intersecting life circumstances weave the four into each other lives.

Each character deals with a major loss..war, death, broken families... in their own way.
August 14, 2008
Sensitive coming-of-age story set against the backdrop of the Algerian War examines the emotional and sexual confusions of four young people. The story is played out with realism and honesty, never glossed over and sometimes ambiguous.
½ July 31, 2008
A wonderful coming-of-age story. Téchiné, as always, masterfully tells a complex story populated with complex, appealing characters.