Wilder Napalm - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wilder Napalm Reviews

May 27, 2016
This movie fits people with a certain sense of humor. As a kid, I liked it! Rediscovered it as an adult and loved it even more.
February 22, 2016
Different, cute and campy...I found this little gem very entertaining.
½ January 18, 2015
Weird, with zero likeable characters. Even though it came out in 1993, for all intents and purposes this was an 80's movie; and only the 80's can produce the type of crap this is. Worse than The 'Burbs; worse than Beetlejuice; worse than Weekend at Bernie's. You get the picture.
½ September 26, 2013
An eccentric little romantic comedy. It's so weird that it works.
January 29, 2013
I think this is the BEST movie!
September 12, 2012
Not as great as I remember it. It was cool watching it when I was a little boy but now, it kinda suck. Subject is good and I think the only film that showcase Pyrokinetics but in a film-making standpoint, script really needs a lot of work. Nevertheless this serves as one of the coolest childhood films I've watched.
July 25, 2012
A very dark romantic comedy with a fantastic anti hero character. Oh yes, and pyrokinetic clowns.
July 4, 2012
Your basic love triangle... set on fire by pyrokinesis! A little-known classic.
August 25, 2011
Wilder Napalm is truly an original film, what it lacks or is needing of improvement is the atari 2600 fire graphics. Which by the by doesn't stop the film from being any less quirky spontaneous and enjoyable.

The story is as old as the hills boy meets girl, girl finds out boy can make fire with his mind as can his brother. Love triangle cliche activate.

This film is charming, devilishly clever and perhaps most importantly a delightful to watch with a quick even tempered paced. Bookend of course with singing firemen!
March 27, 2010
This was just a little too wacky to be either funny or serious. I was just trying to suspend disbelief the whole time.
January 11, 2010
One of THE BEST movies of its time.
½ February 27, 2009
Wilder Napalm is the little seen cable movie about the Foudroyant Brothers, Wallace and Wilder, both of him are literal Firestarters. Wallace (Dennis Quaid, who's a lot of fun in this) travels with the circus with old Ernest himself (Jim Varney), and both of whom are set to reveal Wallace's gift to the world in order to become rich and famous. Wilder (Arliss Howard in a fun role) is a photo booth runner who lives a normal, stable life with his shut in wife (Debra Winger, who brings charm to her role) whose serving a house arrest sentence for starting her own fires. Soon, Wallace comes back to town and the long-running Foudroyant brother feud begins again, particularly over Debra Winger's character, whom both are in love with. There's a certain Tim Burton-esque charm to this film that goes there without any of the gothicism we've come to expect. The characters and storylines are great, and overall, an enjoyable movie is delivered. Definitely worth a watch.
½ January 29, 2009
definitely interesting
November 21, 2008
I only saw the second half but it seemed to be a wacky movie with a lot of cool pyro effects and an original premise. Two brothers who can generate fire fighting their asses off and destroying everything that gets in their way! It's like a really wacky Coen Bros. superhero film.
October 26, 2008
So at one point, Wallace (Dennis Quaid) and Vida (Debra Winger) are trying to persuade Wilder (Arliss Howard) that he, too, must accept a share of the blame for what has happened in the movie up to that point. Now, I'm not going to give all of that away, because the way it's all laid out is so deliberate that you would miss half the joy of this movie if I told you the whole of the story. At any rate, the Foudroyant family is in jail. All three of them. What has gone before is delightfully chaotic, though we can actually see every step we go through before we get there. It all makes sense. We can also, unfortunately, see why they ended up in jail. And Vida and Wallace are standing there, saying, you know, Wilder, this is your fault, too. But you know what? If you watch this movie--and I'm not necessarily saying you should, but if you do--I think you'll be with me and agree that it really, really isn't, and they should screw themselves.

Anyway. Wilder Foudroyant is not a happy man. He lives in a trailer park with his lovely wife, Vida, who is under house arrest for arson. He works in a photo hut in the parking lot of a larger store. One day, as he is hard at work, a carnival rolls into town. He's already having problems with the carnies when their clown steps out of his trailer. It's Biff the Clown, also known as Wallace Foudroyant. He and Wilder have an unpleasant relationship, ever since Wallace burned Wilder's hair off at Wilder's bachelor party. Because that's the thing about the Foudroyant boys--they're pyrokinetics.

I suppose it's part of the joke that the more staid brother is the one named Wilder. However, ever since he and Wallace accidentally burned a man to death when they were children, Wilder has been hesitant to use his powers, while Wallace makes his living at it. He has been a homebody, while Wallace travels from town to town with the carnival. On the other hand, he got Vida, who Wallace wanted, too. He's also a member of the town's suprisingly tuneful volunteer fire department. Wallace may be more adventurous than Wilder, but I would wager you that Wilder is happier. Not truly happy--no one who works in a photo hut can be truly happy--but happier than Wallace, who doesn't seem to have gotten what he wanted out of life, either.

It's a basically silly movie, though it does have one or two worthwhile things to say about family and happiness. However, it's not really much beyond that. The music's not bad, but it's often too loud. Vida appears to be wearing the same dress throughout, and it's not until she actually changes clothes at one point that it becomes apparent that she just wears a lot of similar clothes. Arliss Howard gives a subtler performance than the over-the-top Quaid, but it just makes it seem as though neither of them entirely belongs in the movie. And I like those firemen, but they do feel a little tacked on, just one more wacky thing in a wacky movie. It just feels as though it's a little forced, that's all.

Once again, I must go back to "we've seen worse." You'll notice I am giving this a (marginally) positive review, after all. I don't think it's really good enough for a higher review, but I do think it's pretty enjoyable. It seems like one of my mom's summer movies--funny movies without much story to slow you down with thought. The fights are funny; the scene in the jail is both funny and heartrending all at once, if you've gotten to care at all about Wilder. It's a testament to this movie that I did.
½ September 19, 2008
funny .. very bizarre
September 1, 2008
Unusual situation to frame a love story in but it just doesn't work for me. I didn't much care about any of the characters or what happens to them.
½ July 27, 2008
One of the strangest movies I've ever seen! Definitely give it kudos for originality. It's just good enough to stay to the end, but really no laughs to be a comedy and not serious enough to be a good drama.
June 27, 2008
Where was this gem hiding for the last 15 years? How did I never hear of it? This is just the kind of quirky early/mid-90s era films that I love. It's over engineered, highly detailed, and perhaps way ahead of its time.

I don't know if this film was shelved or if it simply didn't catch on with people or find an audience, but this is a fantastic romantic comedy with brilliant acting and stunning cinematography. The writer and director of this film are both underrated geniuses...