Willie Dynamite Reviews

• Nov 22, 2017

one thumb one thumb down for this slow moving pimp show

one thumb one thumb down for this slow moving pimp show

• Feb 14, 2017

Surprisingly serious Blaxploitation movie although Willie D's theme music is funky fun.

• Jan 19, 2014

"Willie Dynamite" is the story of a pimp and his girls, a blaxploitation film that isn't too campy and doesn't glorify the criminal lifestyle that Willie leads. He is a prick, who treats his prostitutes good only when it suits him, when they step out of line or do anything independent he becomes a shit, just like a real pimp. He is a bastard who portrays himself as working for and with the girls, but is really just out for himself. So the fact that they didn't stray too far into camp territory helped this one. It isn't the best film, not even the best blaxploitation film I've seen, but it is decent.

• Jan 26, 2013

Willie Dynamite(Roscoe Orman) is sure having a bad time, not content on being the no.2 pimp in New York, he is striving to be no.1 and the effects it has on those around him including his families: relatives and the stables of girls he looks after. This morality tale from the height of blaxploitation is so enjoyable and has such funny moments even though it's not suppose to be funny. The cast is likable even tough we are not suppose to root for these characters. Overall, I really liked this film.

• Aug 07, 2012

I sat down with this movie, expecting it to be your standard blaxploitation. While it did have some of the standard elements of the genre ( drugs, violence, pimps and their stables, corrupt white cops), it ended up bring a tale of redemption of the human spirit, rather than a glorification of that lifestyle. I should have expected that when I finally realized where I recognized who starred as Willie. All in all, a very good movie.

• Aug 07, 2012

I started watching this thinking that it would be your standard, run of the mill blaxploitation. I should have realized, though, that Gordon wouldn't exploit anyone. While it has several elements of a blaxploitation, including drugs, "working girls", and pimps, this is really a story about redemption and growth as a person....without *too much* preachiness.

• Jul 15, 2012

Willie from sesame street.

Willie from sesame street.

• Aug 17, 2011

Blaxploitation, with GREAT soundtrack (main title sung by Martha Reeves)

Blaxploitation, with GREAT soundtrack (main title sung by Martha Reeves)

• Chris W Super Reviewer
    Aug 21, 2010

As this movie began, I was expecting a generic and campy b-movie, but what it ended up being is really quite surprising. This is actually a fairly serious and sincere movie with a message. It has a good budget and pretty high production values, which helps it rise above the level of most blaxploitation films. In a way, it really isn't one of those kinds of movies. I mean it is, but that's like if calling Ridley Scott's "Gladiator" your average swords-and-sandals movie. Okay, so it's not as good as that, but it looks great and had major studio backing, so you probably get the idea. It's essentially a high class B-movie. Yeah, that's a good way to describe it. Give this one a chance. What could have been a cheesy story about a pimp with problems that you can't take seriously turns into an almost great story of hope and redemption.

• Feb 25, 2010

The best blaxploitation movie to star Gordon from Sesame Street!

The best blaxploitation movie to star Gordon from Sesame Street!