Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Reviews

September 21, 2016
Rather preachy which didn't score any points with me and the first half before the characters even get to the factory was rather dull. Of course Charlie is an impoverished angel and the other children are rich brats. Naturally. Still once in the chocolate factory it was entertaining enough that I'd watch again without any arguing. Though I'd hope to skip to Gene Wilder's appearance, naturally he's the best part of the film.
½ September 21, 2016
Take it as a lesson on parenting and the importance of maturity, or take it as a simple comedy centered around candy, but there is no denying it's near perfection while seeing Gene Wilder in the best performance of his career.
September 17, 2016
Seems warmer than Burtons more recent interpretation... or is that just nostalgia talking? Gene Wilder does a great job of capturing bipolar Willy.
September 16, 2016
This is a great classic. Although it barely follows the book, there is no way to dislike this movie. A+
½ September 15, 2016
Willy Wonka is as fun as a bag full of candy. Featuring outstandingly dry humor, classic songs, AMAZING world-building, and a hilariously colorful cast of characters, it's both fabulously 70s yet timelessly watchable. The plotting is naively childish, no question...however, obsession, addiction, and consumption are all sharply satirized, & Wilder's turn as the titular candy creator has enough quirky complexity for multiple kid's movies. Gentle, sad, curious, dark, funny, and purely imaginative.
September 13, 2016
There's a feeling of wonder from me, and a feeling of disdain from Dahl as he rolls in his grave. This is such an intriguing film, a rare type that just never ceases to be pleasingly timeless. A perfect film, such a wondrous piece of media. May Gene Wilder rest in piece, as he left behind so many wonderful memories, and among them, a fun trip through a chocolate factory. With an exceptional performance by Wilder, and a brilliant supporting cast, a film like this has only thought to exist in pure imagination. May it never be forgotten.
September 9, 2016
I absolutely adore this movie and it's remake. A charming movie that is really grounded in reality before they go into the factory (aside from the candyman giving away candy). But as soon as they enter in the factory it's the thing of wonder and imagination and honestly it works. Though my nitpicks in this is that (aside from Veruca) the other mean kids weren't that rotten, which is something fixed in the remake. Still the kids, including Veruca, aren't too annoying. I found the Flying Soda odd though. Charlie and his Grandpa are set up as the good guys in this movie, so why would they break Wonka's rule? That just felt off. Still a good fun movie for the family.
September 9, 2016
A timeless classic that is whimsical and fantastic for people of all ages.
½ September 6, 2016
R.I.P. Gene Wilder

Still a magnificent film after all these years!
½ September 3, 2016
A World of Pure Imagination. A
½ September 3, 2016
Gene Wilder and Peter Ostrum do an absolutely fantastic job playing Willy Wonka and Charlie Bucket in this adaptation of Roald Dahl's classic book, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is one of the greatest movies of all time. It's special effects are cheesy now, but great for it's time. This film has spawned many classic songs, such as, "I've Got a Golden Ticket," "I Want It Now," and the very beautiful, "Pure Imagination." Willy Wonka is definitely in my Top 10 list of fantastic movies.
RIP Gene Wilder (1933-2016)
September 2, 2016
Classic wonderful movie!
August 30, 2016
Hay I say Not a good movie it's to old fashioned the only thing I liked was the music.
½ August 30, 2016
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was one of my favorite books growing up, but surprisingly, I waited until last night to watch this film adaptation. It's unfortunate that what precipitated this was the passing of its star, Gene Wilder, but it was certainly worth the time and money. He exudes charisma and charm seasoned with humor in every scene that he appears. The songs were wonderful, and I found myself tearing up during 'Pure Imagination,' which becomes a sort of leitmotif for the film as a whole. Aside from Wilder, the performances from the rest of the cast were generally good, especially the children who felt like they leapt off the pages of the book. The visuals are bright, colorful and optimistic, occasionally trippy and surreal, befitting the source material. It was such a pleasure to take in. Although this was a spur-of-the-moment rental, this is one that will definitely find its way into my personal collection. WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY is a bonafide classic that I will be returning to again and again.
August 30, 2016
Wilder's performance is perfection. Yeah the movie has it's issues but it maintains an aura of wonderment from begging to end without ever appearing to coddle the audience.
August 29, 2016
Best musical of all time!! PERFECT
August 29, 2016
Love this movie. Rewatched last night and now the news reports today the best Wonka ever is gone :(
½ August 29, 2016
Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory is a child's dream come true. A scrumptious blend of whimsy, charm and a pinch of crazy that is mixed together by Gene Wilder's iconic performance.
½ August 29, 2016
93%
Disturbing but inventive and thematically sound, Willy Wonka delights.

V: 75%