Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Reviews

December 21, 2016
Other than the joys of a sweet factory and being able to eat everything I'm not sure what's on offer here for kids, probably why as a child I never remember particularly enjoying it. As an adult though the first half in particular is really funny. Wilder has never been better on screen and you feel it really stays true to the twisted spirit of the Roald Dahl original. Obviously light years ahead of the Johnny Depp travesty remake.
December 12, 2016
Fantastic, Epic, Classic. One of the greatest films I have ever seen. Infinitely superior to the rehashed travesty of a mess that Follywood puked out decades later.
November 12, 2016
This movie is a fantastic work of pure imagination. There are some very memorable songs and musical numbers, all wrapped in a whimsical adventure full of everything. With added viewings, you really get all those hidden quips of dialogue or weird antics in the background. Easily one of the best musicals, it also has one of the best performances from Gene Wilder.
½ November 7, 2016
Right from the start when children run straight from school to Fickelgruber's Fudges, the feeling of freedom in a world of candy is instantly set, only to be shut off when the poor paper boy is seen peering from the outside. Then the rest of the motion picture lights up moment by moment with music as wonderful as Wonka's scrumdiddlyumptious bar. Even with the creepy moments like the poor boy eyeing curiously at the legendary factory behind closed gates, the free feeling remains with his stories of the factory told by his grandpa Joe. The songs that accompany the boy's journey are awkward at times but feel as joyful as any whipple-scrumptious fudgemallow delight.
October 31, 2016
R.I.P Gene wilder, this movie is simply a Tribute to his talent
½ October 6, 2016
Funny, uniquely strange and whimsical, Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory is a fun and entertaining adventure with a solid narrative and marks arguably the best performance of the late great Gene Wilder as the wily confectioner.
October 3, 2016
I feel like I'm dreaming each time I watch this movie. It's one of my favorites and has meant a lot to me in my life.

Definitely one of a kind, due to it's adamant surrealism, it appeals to both kids and adults.

The elusive Wonka chocolate factory is holding a worldwide contest so that 5 lucky winners can finally get a glimpse inside the factory walls and win a lifetime supply of chocolate.

It's supposed to take place in America, but maintains an industrial European feel. Charlie Bucket, our protagonist, lives with his mother and 4 grandparents. They're very poor, and rely on Charlie's paper route money to get by. Which is why Charlie wants, more than anything, to win this contest.

Anyone who's ever known they wanted something more than anyone else in the world can relate to Charlie's childlike desire to win Wonka's contest. It may seem frivolous, but that only highlights Charlie's desperation. He can only imagine luxurious things. And that ingenuous mindset is what just may give him what he needs.

The film enraptures you within the first 35 minutes, before we even get inside the magical factory. And once we're in, the film ascends to a whole new level. So full of unique ideas and concepts. Set pieces that made people depressed about the movie's fictionality long before Avatar's ever did.

And Willy Wonka, himself, portrayed by Gene Wilder, is a marvel. No other man could have given us such a brilliant performance. He's sweet, he's creepy, he's sincere, and he's mischievous. Roald Dahl's original 1964 novel could be adapted for film one thousand times over, yet Wilder will always remain exclusively synonymous with the role.

Oh yeah, and the music is phenomenally perfect.

For being a "flop" from 1971, this film holds up better than most, if not all, of its contemporaries.

Twizard Rating: 100
½ September 26, 2016
Watching the movie back now you really get to appreciate the comic genius that was Gene Wilder, and imaginative Roald Dahl.
September 24, 2016
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a whimsical, charming, touching, and sometimes even scary journey, with joyful characters, memorable songs, and a vivid, wondrous trip through a land of pure imagination.
September 21, 2016
Rather preachy which didn't score any points with me and the first half before the characters even get to the factory was rather dull. Of course Charlie is an impoverished angel and the other children are rich brats. Naturally. Still once in the chocolate factory it was entertaining enough that I'd watch again without any arguing. Though I'd hope to skip to Gene Wilder's appearance, naturally he's the best part of the film.
½ September 21, 2016
Take it as a lesson on parenting and the importance of maturity, or take it as a simple comedy centered around candy, but there is no denying it's near perfection while seeing Gene Wilder in the best performance of his career.
September 17, 2016
Seems warmer than Burtons more recent interpretation... or is that just nostalgia talking? Gene Wilder does a great job of capturing bipolar Willy.
September 16, 2016
This is a great classic. Although it barely follows the book, there is no way to dislike this movie. A+
½ September 15, 2016
Willy Wonka is as fun as a bag full of candy. Featuring outstandingly dry humor, classic songs, AMAZING world-building, and a hilariously colorful cast of characters, it's both fabulously 70s yet timelessly watchable. The plotting is naively childish, no question...however, obsession, addiction, and consumption are all sharply satirized, & Wilder's turn as the titular candy creator has enough quirky complexity for multiple kid's movies. Gentle, sad, curious, dark, funny, and purely imaginative.
September 13, 2016
There's a feeling of wonder from me, and a feeling of disdain from Dahl as he rolls in his grave. This is such an intriguing film, a rare type that just never ceases to be pleasingly timeless. A perfect film, such a wondrous piece of media. May Gene Wilder rest in piece, as he left behind so many wonderful memories, and among them, a fun trip through a chocolate factory. With an exceptional performance by Wilder, and a brilliant supporting cast, a film like this has only thought to exist in pure imagination. May it never be forgotten.
September 9, 2016
I absolutely adore this movie and it's remake. A charming movie that is really grounded in reality before they go into the factory (aside from the candyman giving away candy). But as soon as they enter in the factory it's the thing of wonder and imagination and honestly it works. Though my nitpicks in this is that (aside from Veruca) the other mean kids weren't that rotten, which is something fixed in the remake. Still the kids, including Veruca, aren't too annoying. I found the Flying Soda odd though. Charlie and his Grandpa are set up as the good guys in this movie, so why would they break Wonka's rule? That just felt off. Still a good fun movie for the family.
September 9, 2016
A timeless classic that is whimsical and fantastic for people of all ages.