Wimbledon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wimbledon Reviews

½ June 23, 2013
I think I was a bit harsh on this when I first saw it. After a second look, yes it's still a bit obvious and generic and I'm still not a big Dunst fan, but part of the fun is that it hits all the stereotypical bases of a Wimbledon fortnight and portrays England and the English summer in the idealistic way we all would like it to be.
June 23, 2013
Wimbledon is a tennis movie (duh) starring Kirsten dunst and Paul Bethany that many people might of seen, but not necessarily thought it was going to be a great movie. In contrast, to me, it was a really pleasant movie that excessed my expectation. You'd think romantic comedy is cheesy although as well nice and comforting but this movie was just comforting to see. Classic romance movie. Sufficient acting skills, great camera shots and a good storyline that made this movie worthwhile to see on a cold gloomy English day.
May 29, 2013
Largely due to my love of tennis, I found this to be quite enjoyable despite the cheesy storyline. 'Wimbledon' definitely goes on my list of guilty pleasures.
April 12, 2013
One of my top movies that I like.
½ March 27, 2013
Charming and funny, Wimbledon is a delightful romantic comedy that's inspirational. During his final Wimbledon tournament Peter Colt meets a fellow tennis star on the women's circuit that helps him to regain his competitive edge. Kirsten Dunst and Paul Bettany lead the cast and give great performances. The two have good chemistry together and a feel for this type of comedy. However, there are some superfluous subplots that break-up the momentum of the film. Wimbledon has some flaws, but overall it's a heartwarming and entertaining film.
½ March 5, 2013
A predictable, but mildly entertaining, romantic comedy. Paul Bettany and Kristen Dunst make a cute, if improbable, couple. There are enough bad guys and tennis intrigue to keep the story going even if we know how it will end. Plus who doesn't love British mansions, hotels and seaside villages? The direction was the most disappointing thing to me, very TV Commercial with lots of Photoshop effects, ultra close ups, snap zooms, shots of planet earth etc which served only to take me out of the story. i was okay with the omnipresent voiceover, but you might not be. i watched it because i disn't have anything better around. i could have turned it off, but i didn't despite knowing exactly how it would end. in short the writer and director should be shot, but if you can get past that, the cast holds it together.
February 28, 2013
I like the movie since I like them both a lot but i think he's too old for her
February 7, 2013
The story is about male tennis-star Peter Colt played by Paul Bettany who is at the bottom of the ranks because of his bad luck he has everywhere ot seemingly manifests. Now he has been chosen to play for the wildcard at WImbledon which is the tennis world's most prestigious competition. While he is there and just starting to get his wildcard, he meets female American tennis player Lizzie Bradbury who gives him the confidence to win as they fall in love with each other. Boosted by his newfound luck, Peter climbs to the top of the tournament very quickly until he actually has to fight for his chance for the men's finals to finally get his wildcard and also his Wimbledon trophy. I remember when I watched this movie a long time ago. It was one of the most charming experiences I ever had in early movie history. These were the good old days in Kirsten Dunst's career, oh yeah the good old days. Also 2002, 2004 and 2008 were the best year in movies for the 2000s. It's sporty, light-hearted, well-pasted and has a great story. Wimbledon just got a 10/10.
January 6, 2013
Wimbledon is a sweet, unpretentious, high flying, romantic comedy. The humor is intellectual, with interesting British dialogs without slangs or complications, and full of funny expressions.

Paul Bettany has a number of subtle facial/body expression that are just the right spice for the tone of the movie. Although I always find it difficult to accept Kristen Dunst has playing a star, she's more suited as an athletic star and perfect as Paul Bettany's opposite, bringing spunk like she can easily do.

The setting of the movie is quite interesting, and the shots beautiful. More over, the story has a full figure, and is peppered with interesting details. You can feel the English fever for Wimbledon, and the soundtrack is quite appropriate.

Only a few things mar this beauty. First, most court commentators sound like their reading their script, especially McEnroe and Evert. Second, the tennis itself, while well edited, shows flaws from time to time.

That being said, it is my favorite romantic comedy because it has everything and does it all right just like I want it.

A must see.
January 2, 2013
saw bits and pieces looked no good
½ December 26, 2012
I really liked this movie. Some may call it a chick flick...
December 15, 2012
Adorable! I love Kirsten Dunst!
December 15, 2012
Fairly typical British rom-com but its connection to the tennis world's most prestigious tournament of course gives it a special charm. The tennis playing, of course, is digitally enhanced, a GCI ball masking the limitations of the actors, but Paul Bettany and Kirsten Dunst do a more than acceptable job of bringing the story to life, with more than a few reference to British foibles along the way for laughs.
November 30, 2012
Paul Bettany & Kirsten Dunst work really good together, I like them. I love the scene when he leaves a message on the telephone and her father answers hahaha!
November 12, 2012
loved it, it was a good movie it was better than what I expected it to be, it starred Kirsten Dunst, Paul Bettany (The Da Vinci Code) and Sam Neill, it was a good film but I don't want it on DVD
October 22, 2012
very sweet Rom-com with a little tennis mixed in. a great example of the genre. not too challenging, but funny and totally enjoyable.
½ October 17, 2012
what appealing leads
October 11, 2012
film ini yang buat aq jadi cinta ama Tennis..
½ September 30, 2012
hahahaha had a great time watching this. :)
½ September 12, 2012
The tennis theme as the similarity between two young hopefuls is surprisingly romantic. unlikely, but romantic. However, there are more things to take into account here.

Kirtsen Dunst doesn't do too well here, not sure whether she is supposed to play the friend or the villian, and Paul Bettany starts to become too ladidah by the end.

Their are some spectacular camera views, such as when the camera tracks a tennis ball's set path across the court, which was beautiful to watch, and their is some chemistry between the leads, but it doesn't feel like enough. And I don't know what Sam Neill was doing in the role as Dunst's father, but he was still okay for a wasted character. and Paul Battany's character's parents were funny to watch hate then love eachother.

A predictable romance which ends wince-inducingly, but was at the lvery least sort of satisfying.