The Windmill Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Windmill Movie Reviews

April 29, 2016
Even when it feels like it is just a meandering, self-indulgent mess -- there is something interesting that refuses to allow you to walk away. By the time Alexander Olch begins to form all of Dick P. Rogers' footage into a meaningful meditation on his life I was completely captivated. It is a slight of two hands -- one belonging to the artist who shot the footage and the second belonging to the artist who was once a student of the first. There is a sadness that looms over it all, but there is also a constant feeling of hope that never dies.
November 22, 2014
Absolutely terrible.
August 18, 2011
Fascinating movie about a man incapable of making a movie. Very cool how they tried to piece all the footage together and how compelling yet melancholy as well.
½ August 23, 2009
Voyeuristic and individually reflective, The Windmill Movie allows us to observe a prominent experimental filmmaker's life and the burdens he [Richard Rogers] confronted with his art and future. Alexander Olch does an excellent job of piecing together The Windmill Movie, allowing us to question our own ideologies while observing Rogers' fragmented world set in the lush Hamptons. The finished documentary is strikingly compelling and unique.
July 4, 2009
Recomendation : Filmcritic
July 1, 2009
I don‚??t know if you can get more ‚??meta‚?? than this film ‚?? a movie about a guy making a movie who spent his entire life making a movie that was never finished and is ‚??finished‚?? here ... yeah, read it again slowly. If anything, this film just made me realize that envy isn‚??t always a vice, sometimes it can actually be a virtue. I feel like this movie has been done before better but no examples are jumping to mind. Self-indulgent on both Olch's and Rogers' part.
June 24, 2009
This may well be the best film I have ever seen.
At times during the showing I was close to panicking.
It was that powerful and inspiring and mind blowing.
I cannot recommend this film highly enough.
June 19, 2009
Interesting. Wallace Shawn and Bob Balaban could probably switch roles in any movie!

They are both good/ So is Susan Meiselas.

Alexander Olch's direction is good too.

This movie is... interesting!
June 15, 2009
Maybe I will watch it if I hear anything good.
October 12, 2008
I have to say that I really wanted to like this movie more than I did.

The problem is, that watching Rogers try to figure out his own life story is boring. Knowing that his student (Olch) went through the footage and made his own version...which we were watching is interesting.

It is only truly compelling when Susan (Rogers wife) is involved.

At the Q&A for the film at the New York Film Festival, she stated that she didn't contribute as much to the film as Olch would've liked.

I think the audience might have liked it more as well.

The reason Rogers couldn't make the material he had shot work is because it doesn't.
½ October 6, 2008
Special and sad -- this one is well worth seeing.