Winged Migration - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Winged Migration Reviews

½ April 25, 2016
Beautiful cinematography and fascinating birds. The music is horrible tho
August 8, 2015
The most remarkable nature filming that I have ever seen. That the makers committed to the project to the point of having hatchlings imprint on them, so the could catch their flight in a glider is amazing. I also loved that the talking was at a minimum--it was restful to just watch and listen to the lovely music. We have too many voices stridently. raucously competing for our attention nowadays. I have to agree with the critics consensus here, this film was "a marvel to watch."
March 1, 2015
Amazingly shot! Have no idea how they did it as the camera crew would have to be on some sort of aircraft, but however it was done, it really brings you into the world of migratory birds and gives you literally a "bird's eye view" of the beautiful landscapes and oceans they fly over in their endless search of food. The distance that they travel is astonishing. One species flies from the arctic to the antarctic, which is basically traveling the globe longitudinally from North to South Pole over an incredible 12,000 miles. You sometimes find yourself flying right next to them over rivers and streams and other times down on the ground or in lakes as they fish, eat insects or have to defend their young against other predatory birds. Really a deeply penetrating lens into their world.
½ August 5, 2014
Nothing else even compares to it.
½ July 21, 2014
A great movie about birds and just birds. Not too many pesky humans get in the way (other than ones that interfere with the migration).
March 28, 2014
muy buenas imágenes!
March 27, 2014
Awesome! The perspective of just being "one of the birds" is breathtaking.
½ March 5, 2014
A unique and challenging documentary which for the most part allows nature to do its own talking.
½ January 19, 2014
Stunning videography
September 21, 2013
Amazing footage. Wondrous and emotionally engaging, and I don't even like birds.
August 13, 2013
Has some of the best cinematography you'll ever see in a nature special.
July 21, 2013
I have seen it before, and it is superb!
½ February 16, 2013
Winged Migration (2003) -- [7.0] -- How they shot "Winged Migration" is almost more fascinating than the subject matter. The filmmakers rigged camera equipment to ultralight planes and imprinted with hatching birds of various species to get as close to their subjects as possible. The resulting cinematography is breathtaking, especially if you love birds. The film focuses solely on the migratory patterns of birds all around the world, so the shots of birds flying -- while mesmerizing for a while -- can get old. The film also shows a few points of danger in the birds' everyday lives, including several birds shot out of the sky by hunters, one who gets stuck in factory sludge, and one with a broken wing who gets devoured by crabs. As a bird lover who doesn't want to see these things, I was at least thrilled with the part where a captured blue parrot is wise enough to escape a poacher's cage. The filmmakers don't linger too long on any of the tragedies, thankfully. Overall, more of a technical marvel than a revealing educational piece -- but gorgeous to look at.
February 10, 2013
I feel as though everybody is giving this 5 stars because it won an Oscar; personally, I didn't think it was that special.
January 14, 2013
Winged Migration works because words are kept out of it. Rather than having a mind numbing narration that doesn't really add to the drama, we just have the biirds..and all kinds of them attempting that they had done oodles of time previously in cross crossing the planet as a matter of survival.
December 25, 2012
Even if you don't like birds you will find this fascinating. The Making of is as good as the movie itself, testifying to the incredible effort that went into making a movie with birds literally within reach while in flight. I wondered what happened to the little groups of birds that had been imprinted with humans as their mothers. Did they fit in, were they ostrascized, did they have any eggs...?
December 25, 2012
Nice film aesthetically - soundtrack is pretty good and footage is fantastic. But the film completely missed out on an opportunity to educate about the fascinating lives and behaviors of the dozens of bird species that they filmed. I can understand if the purpose was to make an aesthetic film as opposed to a documentary, but in that case, why bother putting in the tiny and virtually pointless bits of narration at all?
December 7, 2012
Would like to get round to seeing!
November 28, 2012
While the camera work is impressive and the photography gorgeous, "Winged Migration" is also repetitive and occasionally dark.
October 29, 2012
An enticing documentary about birds and how they migrate over vast areas each year. Down to earth storytelling and breathtakingly beautiful footage.