The Wings of Eagles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wings of Eagles Reviews

January 19, 2016
thought this a very well done movie, inspirational and moving! Love the actors as well!!
December 25, 2014
Historically inaccurate, cliched, and quite silly at times.

The movie starts in an almost farcical way, showing the hero as a loveable larrikin and defier of authority. It gets worse from there (and I didn't think that was possible at the time), as the next few scenes mainly involve silly punch-ups. At this point the movie looked like it was meant to be a slapstick comedy, and a very bad one at that.

From a point, however, it loses the silliness and becomes a drama. Some scenes are quite emotional and engaging but many feel trite and cliched.

The WW2 stuff contains a host of historical inaccuracies. Things occur in the wrong chronological order and this part just seems very sloppily done. This is all despite the producers having some great WW2 footage at their disposal, and the help of the US Navy.

I mainly watched this because it starred John Wayne. He does fine in the lead role, but is miscast. He is far too old for the character he is playing.

Considering this movie was made long after WW2 had ended, so isn't a propaganda movie, and considering how little known Commander Wead is in terms of military history, I'm not really sure why this movie was made.
½ November 11, 2014
wayne takes to the skies in this bio-pic of sorts.
½ November 10, 2014
For those critics who say John Wayne is not a good actor, that John Wayne always plays John Wayne, I challenge you to watch The Wings of Eagles. John Wayne gives a power house performance in a film that is unlike any other he made.
March 27, 2014
My husband and I thoroughly enjoy this movie. We own it and watch it a few times a year. John ford's usual group of actors are in this film and you can tell they had a good time doing it.
½ November 9, 2013
This film is worth watching again and again...A True Masterpiece.
½ June 10, 2012
Not a great biopic, nor a good followup to the classic, The Searchers. There are some good scenes sprinkled throughout, but overall it is a pretty unremarkable film.
½ May 6, 2012
This film is based on the life and writings of Frank "Spig" Wead, a Navy man turned author and screenwriter whom John Ford had worked with. He passed away a few years prior to the release of the film and this was made in loving tribute to him. And though it's far from being my favorite John Ford picture, it's still a very heartfelt film. Moments of humor is quite smoothly interspersed with more serious moments and doesn't get overly sentimental and flag-waving-y. It doesn't really break new ground but its heart was in the right place.
April 23, 2012
I finally finished all the movies in my John Wayne collection. I can't believe how many Navy movies he made. As an Army man I felt left out. At least in this movie we're somewhat represented though...
½ April 13, 2012
Maureen O Hara is loverly!
January 17, 2012
Often terrific biopic that has some tremendously sharp visuals, but seems a bit cliche at times. John Wayne plays one of his more vulnerable characters here though he doesn't have much time to show it because there's so much action going on all the time. Wead lived an interesting life, and it shows.
½ August 17, 2011
Tuesday, August 9, 2011

(1957) The Wings of Eagles
DRAMA/ COMEDY/ WAR/ BIO

Movie centers on a real life person of Navy flier-turned-screenwriter Frank W. "Spig" Wead- the person who wrote "They Were Expendable" and other screeplays which is slightly exagerrated! Starring John Wayne as "Spig" and Maureen O' Hara as Min as his wife! Talky and loopy in terms of figuring out which genre it wants to be, such as in the beginning it starts out to be funny, then it beomes serious, and then funny again then more drama which can be annoying and tedious to any normal viewer!

2 out of 4
August 9, 2011
Underrated Ford/Wayne film. Personal and self-reflexive, it's a biopic of Frank Wead who scripted Ford's They Were Expendable. However, it could very well be about Ford himself (who even has his own stand-in in the film) given its concerns about cinema, military, and war.
July 8, 2011
it was good movie, not the best out of John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara but they were both good...
June 22, 2011
Sometimes fun, sometimes a bit dull, and never really more than what meets the eye.
½ June 1, 2011
Wayne plays a paralyzed WW1 Veteran who overcomes his injury and goes on to become a Hollywood wartime screenwriter during WWII and then later goes on back to active duty in the Navy after Pearl Harbor to oversee the construction of Jeep carriers. In the midst of all of this is a love that's lost story with his wife and children he remains estranged from. Not the best written script, but still a good performance by Wayne.
½ March 28, 2011
John Ford's follow-up to The Searchers is surprisingly un-remarkable. A biopic of Frank "Spig" Wead, a solider turned cripple turned screenwriter, "The Wings of Eagles is an impeccably crafted piece of fluffy propaganda.
January 29, 2011
It was an OK movie. I had to watch it because of three people; John Ford (director), Maureen O'Hara (love redheads) and, of course, John "The Duke" Wayne. It had parts that made you laugh. It had parts that made you cry.
½ September 7, 2010
THE WINGS OF EAGLES (1957)