Winnebago Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Winnebago Man Reviews

½ April 4, 2016
There was once a viral you-tube video of a man being filmed for a Winnebago commercial. His frustration and foul-mouthed language began being filmed during breaks and segments of the commercial. These tapes survived on video until the Internet came and they were put on you-tube. This guy, Jack Rebney, was unaware of his underground fame until this documentary was made.
½ March 3, 2016
"Tony, do me a favour, will you please? Would you do me a kindness?"

This is a genuine, montage of obscure, discarded footage of a foul-mouthed salesman filming a Winnebago ad. Why is this funny? It is so uniquely honest, it's fascinating to watch this man blurb so many obscenities about a family product. This is important as one of the 1st videos to have gone viral during the early Internet age of popularity and social media. So much so, the producers sought out this individual to consolidate the footage and his story. I believe 25 minutes could have been edited out of the latter half to make it more potent, but it is fine as is. Not for children's viewing. A must see!
September 18, 2015
This unconventional documentary is a testament to the angriest Winnebago salesman, Jack Rebney, who transcends the normal idea of a bootlegged '80s or '90s silly video being turned into an internet sensation years later. The reactions and interactions are some of the most real and down to Earth conversations you will ever see in a documentary, added together with beautiful rhythmic music and visuals. When viewing the video that made Jack Rebney famous, it is easy to see through the faded 1989 footage and see a frustrated and angry man, fed up with not only the torturous filming process but the world as a whole. Unable to release his fury in any other way, Rebney releases and creates something rarely ever seen: an imperfect commercial. In some ways it is sad that Jack has so much to offer the world, but most likely the world will only know him as The Winnebago Man, but perhaps there is still hope.
½ August 24, 2015
Charming and poignant little documentary about a guy who attains fame and notoriety as a foul-mouthed Winnebago actor in a sales ad. Funny and interesting little vignette.
August 19, 2015
sort of fizzles out in the latter half so if you aint bothered watching the whole thing you should at least check out the basis for it on youtube pretty funny.
½ June 23, 2015
Jack Rebney: "I don't want any more bullshit anytime during the day, from anyone. That includes me!"
June 16, 2015
There is only so much to know about people who aren't willing to share who they are, but Ben Steinbauer tried milking every bit of information he could about the reclusive, well-read curmudgeon Jack Rebney, who is reluctantly the star of his own Outtake reel on YouTube. The result is a film, very similar to Alan Berliner's classic "Nobody's Business". In that, a filmmaker tries to get through to a broken down man. Jack Rebney is about as broken down as an old Winnebago, minus the accoutrement. As evident in the clip online, and in this documentary, Rebney hates the 21st century, and stupid people, and Dick Cheney... but mostly Dick Cheney. Jack is an exceptional human being, despite his temperament, and about as wise any elder you know of. Against his will, perhaps, he unravels here with the help of introspective filmmaker. This is a hilarious, fascinating documentary.
May 3, 2015
The subject is not that interesting and I never found the video that inspired this doc that funny. Pretty boring doc overall.
April 25, 2015
Pretty good movie. Interesting take on the Winnebago Man. It's still a bit confusing why he pretended to be nice at the beginning and then revealed that he was still the swearing man he used to be. And why did they film in front of war mart and best buy? But, the movie was great. It was very funny, and entertaining.
April 19, 2015
Hilarious and touching.
December 11, 2014
Even though it doesn't resolve its entire subject, Winnebago Man is an undeniably hysterical profile and an incisive interlocution of the subversive nature of fame.
½ June 25, 2014
Wonderful (but not POM Wonderful).
½ June 23, 2014
I was completely unaware of the Winnebago Man videos that were passed around on video cassette, and then hit youtube. But I didn't feel as though I missed out on much; so much of it is played throughout the duration of this documentary that a newbie gets caught up to speed pretty quickly.

Topically Winnebago Man falls into the category of "mildly amusing". But unlike most things that are mildly amusing, Winnebago Man offers some poignant insights both into the culture that consumes videos on youtube AND the people who are the unwitting stars.

The success of Winnebago Man as a movie stems largely from the man himself: Jack Rebney. He's a fascinating guy with a voice of gold (easy to see why he was hired to do industry videos) and his screen time drives the final 2/3s of the movie.

It's hard not to look at weird direction decisions, however, and dream of the film that could have been. The most egregious sin is starting the documentary out with a clip of the real Jack Rebney, something that would be better suited AFTER the bluff, not before.
½ June 7, 2014
It is funny here and there and raises some interesting questions but not enough to intrigue someone who has never seen this guy before
½ May 31, 2014
A volunteer at work recommended this to me, told me I would piss myself laughing. Sure enough, I was sitting in soaking drawers.

While it's funny shit indeed, there's also a serious side to these phenomenon known as internet sensations: how do the subjects deal with the humiliation of being globally laughed at. In this case it helps that Jack Rebney clearly doesn't much care. Recluse, curmudgeon, eccentric, and just generally off somewhere in left field seems to be the best place for him.

A fun little film delving into the super psyche of the world's angriest Winnebago salesman.
½ February 22, 2014
An insightful and touching documentary story of the journey of the director to find out about this elusive man who has a cult like following unbeknownst to himself. An incredible character is found and the relationship between Jack, the director and his audience is delightfully found and triumphantly documented.
February 17, 2014
I have found the Holy Grail of documentaries!
August 26, 2013
Felt a little forced, but was pretty good other than that
August 2, 2013
It is clear from watching this 90-minute film that Jack Rebney needs psychological help. He is nuts and the filmmakers are able to show off how crazy this guy is without stepping over the line, or at least without him taking out a shotgun and killing them all.
June 29, 2013
Quite interesting but it ran out of steam.