Winnie Mandela - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Winnie Mandela Reviews

December 6, 2015
autobiography movie about the story of winnie Mandela. winnie is played by Jennifer Hudson and Terrence Howard plays nelson Mandela. excellent, excellent movie. very well acted and the storyline very well written.
½ December 2, 2014
Not bad, but not great. Needed more authenticity. But my word Terrence Howard's Xhosa accent is terrible in this film. He sounds Italian!
½ August 23, 2014
Reading abouth Nelson Madela..there is alot that is not coherent in this biography..The other Madela movie was much much better
May 22, 2014
Superior to Long walk to freedom, in essence a love story where something goes terribly wrong. Conditions in SA and specifically in jail much better portrayed in Winnie. Heart warming and terrifying. Watched it three times in 3 days! Much less Hollywood than similar movies on Mandela's life.
March 27, 2014
This biopic about the first wife of iconic and legendary South African statesman and apartheid adversary Nelson Mandela, stars Academy Award winning actress Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls) as the title character who was raised in a strict, rural upbringing with a schoolteacher father who was disappointed with the fact that she was his sixth daughter. Winnie worked hard to win his approval and when she was of age she moved to the city to pursue medical school -- which was unusual in a sexist, apartheid South Africa. It was here that she met (and almost reluctantly) fell in love with the young political revolutionary Mandela (Terrence Howard - Hustle & Flow) who was already an "enemy" of the white government for believing in equality. The film is rather shaky in that it doesn't really appear to know what it wants to tell us about Winnie and while an Oscar-winner (in a good performance with one STELLAR, knockout scene), Hudson does appear to have a limited acting range. After Nelson is arrested and incarcerated, Winnie also faces some horrible and unjust, inhumane abuses at the hands of the South African government and once she is freed she attempts to carry his mantle but does so with some very questionable actions that have today tainted her legacy. The film perhaps wants to be overly honest but in doing so Winnie doesn't come across as a winning figure for such a biopic. Different time ... different place. She was strong and she was not broken and she did NOT give up. Like her or not -- she was no Nelson -- I wish this movie had been better.
March 16, 2014
Good movie for a rainy afternoon.
March 8, 2014
Winnie Mandela is an ok drama about Nelson Mandela's life in her quest to help her people and to support her husband. Jennifer Hudson and Terrence Howard star in this. C+
February 24, 2014
I'm surprised about the poor reviews on this story of sacrafice for a racist society. Well acted and powerful in many parts and a must see for those that want to prevent a repeat.
February 18, 2014
who told Terrance Howard that was a south african accent. Frankly, being from South Africa, this is an embarrassment.
½ February 17, 2014
Winnie Mandela without a doubt one of most evil woman to have walked the face of the earth. She is not 'an Icon'. The historically accurate version, should of been called Monster. Because the truth about Winnie Mandela is a far worse truth, in comparison to a movie about Aileen Wuornos. To call Winnie Mandela an icon is to show ignorance. South Africa has the worst education system in Africa. To teach young people that she was a hero, is the worst insult. No body would dream of calling Hitler a hero in Germany. I would not be surprised if the ANC government is behind the bull crap. For example the fake sign language interpreter at Nelson Mandela's memorial.
½ February 10, 2014
Again, what do critics know lol! They bashed this movie & idk y! Was very well acted & sad too. Terrence Howard had Mandela down perfectly & Jennifer Hudson did good job too
½ January 29, 2014
Great movie, sure they could have gotten a better cast but pretty good performances throughout they still got the message across.
January 26, 2014
I thought she was amazing here.
January 21, 2014
Very good movie. Very impressed with Jennifer & Terrance Howard is amazing as Mandela
½ January 19, 2014
Horrible. Shouldn't Be Made If The Whole Nation Of South Africa Was Against It...
January 2, 2014
Impressed by the good interpretation presented by Jennifer Hudson. It's very hard to come up with a solid biopic on someone who is still not just alive but current in everybody's minds, especially after Mr. Mandela's death. I would say that I learnt a lot of details about her life and struggles but was also left craving for some more explanations as to the why of it all. Why she changed, why did she lose her faith, why compassion abandoned her heart and why did she stop caring for it all.

Terrence Howard delivers as a believable Madiba but the comparison with Morgan Freeman's performance is inevitable. All in all, a very good movie with lots of South African cultural traditions, scenery, language, rituals an historical references. Worth watching.
½ December 31, 2013
Necklacing tribalistic murderess.
It's incredible this got made. An insult to her husband.
December 29, 2013
I'm sure it must be a difficult task to try and cover everything about a person in the telling of their life. What what shared here was, to me powerful! Well acted. Appreciative
December 28, 2013
I really enjoyed this movie. It moved me to learn more of her true story and struggle. I have come to find that there are complexities and truths that weren't quite portrayed as my research have shown, but never-the-less, I have to give it a thumbs up!