Winter in Wartime - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Winter in Wartime Reviews

½ November 27, 2012
Near the end of World War II, 14-year-old Michiel becomes involved with the Resistance after coming to the aid of a wounded British soldier. With the conflict coming to an end, Michiel comes of age and learns of the stark difference between adventure fantasy and the ugly realities of war.
October 30, 2012
Richly compelling. Brilliant.
October 30, 2012
Wartime as viewed through the eyes of a boy in the waning days of WWII in Holland. Beautiful movie, excellent cinematography and a good story. A war movie yes, but more a coming of age story in the midst of terrible circumstance
October 24, 2012
Considering its a film about WWII, its not very moving or shocking.
½ September 10, 2012
Had potential, and some interesting moments, but ultimately fails to deliver. Drifts throughout and only really comes together at the end.
August 25, 2012
Not bad, although in so many ways so .... unlikely to have succeed. Bikes, buggies and horses, ferries, motorcycles, fallen planes and military vehicles. Secret radios, messages and betrayals, group shootings and nudity before happy ending (no bun intended!). Good old dutch war time saga ending in liberation... both of the mind, body and the country.
August 23, 2012
A beautiful, if not, powerful Dutch film. It tells a story of simple resistance during WWII, and the monstrosities that can result from it by the people surrounding them. The acting was strong, and indefinitely great. The performance of lead, Martijn Lakemeier was wonderful. I kind of enjoyed the coldness of the cinematography. A film full of emotion--betrayal, hope, anxiety, sadness, but also with a pleasant story, I suppose. Overall, I thought it was thrilling throughout and enjoyed it.
August 16, 2012
Winter In Wartime is one of most suspenseful foreign thrillers before 2009s The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. The seting in World War II is dark and gritty. The performances are absolutey outstanding and so realistic. It has a very gritty story about a teen deciding to going to adulthood to save a British soldier from the Nazis. I was on the edge on my seat. I really cared about the characters and wanted them to be okay. The score felt like The Girl With Dragon Tattoo again even before that which it made it so intense and scary. I love the hell out of this movie. I couldn't believe it was an entry for the oscars, but didn't get recognition. It was the finest film setting in World War II since 2004s Downfall.
Rate10/10
July 2, 2012
A moving portrait of a boy's initiation into adulthood under the exteme stress of war. Critics who call this film bland, or complain of a lack of emotionality may have had their taste buds shot off in Hollywood's overblown war operas. Dutch director Martin Koolhoven's masterful understatement draws the audience into his characters rather than overwhelming us with histrionics and bombast. Nazi vehicles actually crash without exploding! What innovation!
May 8, 2012
This Dutch WWII drama is visually stark and tense. It's also somewhat unbelievable and inconsistent. The facts here may be loosely based on a true story, but it feels like the truth morphed over time in the minds of the people involved.

The young teenager Lakemeier is the son of Thiry, the kowtowing mayor of a small Dutch town overrun by Nazis. The clumsy kid is nonplussed by his father's sly, deferential treatment of the SS troops in order to keep the starving berg peaceful. Lakemeier is both protected by his father's position and aided by his own sneakiness;
he and his pals steal Nazi artifacts. So, when given a task behind enemy lines, the boy jumps at the chance. While completing his covert operation, Lakemeier fi nds an injured British soldier (Campbell Bower) and sets to protect him.

Can you already sense there is a lot going on in the film? Yet most of this tale feels like a mash-up of other, much better WWII coming-of-age films. Noble Lakemeier is good, but he cannot hold together a story where the dad is both wimpy and sneaky, and the Nazis vacillate between vicious and kind. Soon, the sullen sister is asked for help, the Nazis start torturing poor old dad, and then it all devolves into a ridiculous chase sequence. By that point, Winter in Wartime has lost us all in the woods around that little Dutch village.
½ April 21, 2012
Set in German-occupied Holland near the end of WWII, a boy learns the painful complexities of loyalty and knowing how to do the "right" thing. It's a memorable coming-of-age tale.
April 11, 2012
Martin Koolhoven and his convincing cast sets up this brumal, melancholy film's tense second half with warmly understood streaks of genuine naivete to create an involving, touching and subtly symbolic coming-of-age tale set in a world where any spare word or glance could cause disaster, a time and place when childhood was a luxury few families, or nations, could afford.
½ April 7, 2012
Story about an adolescent boy growing up in a small Dutch town occupied by the nazis during the last winter of WWII. When one of his friends passes him a note and then promptly gets arrested, Michiel is forced to make tough choices balancing his loyalty to his family with a wounded British solder . Is Uncle Ben really who he appears to be? Who can he trust? How does he make sense of the absurdity of war? Good acting and beautifully photographed scenes of the snow-covered village make this an enjoyable movie!
½ April 1, 2012
I am quite biased when it comes to giving ratings and/or reviews on WW2-themed movies.This movie is not as good as a more famous Dutch WW2 movie, "Zwartboek", on capturing the true soul of Dutch resistance, since it focuses on a much narrower scope. Nonetheless, the focus on the small boy of Michiel (played by Martijn Lakemeier, whose honest, naive acting reminds me of the small Macaulay Culkin) deserves plenty of praise.
½ March 29, 2012
A Dutch film portraying a teenager's unanticipated involvement in trying to save a downed British pilot during World War II in Nazi occupied Holland. Beautifully photographed with some good scenes, although the story arc doesn't quite come together.
½ March 27, 2012
2 problems i had with this WWii drama: A) the snow is horribly fake and REALLY looks fake and sprayed on the box raves about cimematograpgy well its just ok and i think from what my parents told me like would have been alot harsher than we see in this pic.
½ March 21, 2012
Nicely produced and directed. Not sure I understand the last scene.
March 21, 2012
This was by far one of the best movies I have seen in a very long time!
March 3, 2012
Solid movie about civilians during WWII.
March 3, 2012
This was an absolutely amazing emotional movie. Very worth seeing, and one of the most dramatic movies you'll find. An amazing story.