Wisegirls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wisegirls Reviews

December 6, 2014
This is a really good movie, seriously. I've watched it many times, and still, don't get bored of it. Everything is just set in the right place. The characters are really good and in sync. Worthy.
½ September 10, 2014
Nice girl true friend flick. Mira Sorvino does a good acting job.
December 4, 2013
I loved Mariah Carey in this movie
March 7, 2013
"Meg" (Mira Sorvino), a medical student, returns to Staten Island, New York, to help take care of her elderly grandmother (Isa Thomas), who is under the care of "Mrs. Saladino" (Tina Bruno), herself an older woman. As soon as she settles in and begins to help take care of her grandmother, "Mrs. Saladino" sends her to her close realitive who runs and Italian restaurant with an opening for a job as a waitress.

"Meg" goes for the interview with the manager, "Gio" (Joseph Siravo), who hires her and puts her under the wing of "Rachel" (singer Mariah Carey), the tough-talking head waitress. The two become friendly with another waitress named "Kate" (Melora Walters), who is on the shy and reserve side. The three become fast friends, and watch each other's backs on and off duty. And they become even closer when "Rachel" and "Kate" learn that they share a birthday.

The owner of the restaurant (Arthur J. Nascarella) often eats with his son "Frankie" (Christian Maelen). The owner begins to act fatherly towards "Meg" while the son is giving her the once-over.

Then an incident in the back room of the restaurant requires "Meg's" medical skills. The incident proves that there is more going on than eating at the place.

The first part of the movie has good character and story development, but lags many times. The musical score is also quite nice, but I did catch a couple of times when the music was a little louder than the dialog.

The cast does a good job making you believe in their characters. And the one who is the central figure in the major plot twist happens where the character reveals her/his true identity will certainly surprise you.

For a movie with the Mob as a central part of the plot, the movie is not too bloody. However, there are some fairly bloody scenes -- one of which might make you a little queezy.

Nothing much can be said for the visuals. There is some gun play in the movie, but they don't require spectacular special effects.

The movie is pretty good if you're spending the night at home, but I probably won't be adding it to my home video collection any time soon.
December 26, 2012
Carey is bad, and the film suffers for it. I never liked Melora Walters either. Not very exciting, and the action sequences are marginal, but reasonably well-crafted.
October 8, 2012
Pretty good plot, did not see that ending coming.
½ August 21, 2012
Not bad. Movie about the waitresses who work in a restaurant where the mafia hangs out and does their business. Mariah CAN act in this one.
½ August 13, 2012
mariah is excellent in this..very hot
June 23, 2012
Mariah Carey is a surprisingly good actress!
May 23, 2012
It┤s great. Mariah is simply ok.
March 23, 2012
Dang this was a great movie! The acting was great i dont see nothing wrong with it. People really overlook good movies i guess. Mariah Carey was the reason why i watched it and she did fantastic. It ended very very well.
December 3, 2011
Authentic, low-key well-acted yarn.
May 1, 2011
Mariah Carey is cool!
March 12, 2011
Actually a lot better than what I expected. I only watched this one because it was leant to me, and also I really like Mira Sorvino, so decided to give it the benefit of the doubt despite how bad it looked.
First of all, Mariah Carey is awful in this. Just awful. She has gained a little more respect from me since she did "Precious" (i did not even recognise her in that one!) but this is 2002, and her performance is right up there with Glitter.
Also the "mob" guys are very cliched and not the best acting.(Also kind of racist, as one of the waitresses remarks that all Italian restaurants are run by criminals. Nice).
Mira Sorvino is good, I think she normally is. Luckily the story mainly follows her as Meg, a woman who has had some type of trauma (I don't think they every fully explain what, or maybe I just missed that part - although I honestly did watch this one all the way through!). She has come home to stay with her Grandmother who seems to have some type of dementia, and she gets a job in an Italian restaurant. It's obvious the guys running it are pretty shady, but the full extent of it doesn't become apparent until she is in too deep to leave, setting up some horrible and unsettling situations.
In the meantime she has made good friends with the other two waitresses there played by Mariah and Melora Walters (who is okay - not outstanding - but next to Mariah, definitely okay).
This strikes me as a straight to DVD movie. I was so-so with it until about an hour in when it does pick up and it has a few interesting twists, the final one which actually left me teary. (However, I think that was more to do with a personal issue in my life over a friend I lost - I really don't think the acting was that great in this to credit it with that!). I didn't mind this movie. Definitely there are worse ones to spend an hour and a half with.
August 30, 2010
Good movie indeed. Mariah Carey saved herself from Glitter, in this movie she is better. A very authentic movie.
June 6, 2010
I liked the story and thought that it built up well... the ending is somewhat expected... the 3 ladies were pretty ok in their performance!
May 21, 2010
loved the movie...it was sooo real, i could picture this shit happenin in italian restaurants :)
January 25, 2010
non male.. un po' lento in certo punti
½ October 28, 2009
Es una buena pelicula, con buenas interpretaciones femeninas, final sorprendente y emotivo, me gusta... El gran placer de esta pelicula es ver a Mariah decir tacos, jejejej
August 16, 2009
It starts out as a quasi-chick flick, then suddenly morphs into a dark mobster movie. Pretty surprising.