Wisegirls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wisegirls Reviews

January 3, 2014
Just a pretty random indy film with a nice cast and a decent enough story. Ms. Carey is definitly improving compared to her effort in Glitter and she is quite sharp in that one.The rest of the cast is convincing and quite good.
i jus wasen't really thrilled by this flavorless little film.Good effort though!
December 27, 2012
By far one of the worst movies I have ever seen .,..top five like ever! The storyline and the acting was awful I couldn't believe how awful it was and there actually showing it on showtime?
March 12, 2011
Actually a lot better than what I expected. I only watched this one because it was leant to me, and also I really like Mira Sorvino, so decided to give it the benefit of the doubt despite how bad it looked.
First of all, Mariah Carey is awful in this. Just awful. She has gained a little more respect from me since she did "Precious" (i did not even recognise her in that one!) but this is 2002, and her performance is right up there with Glitter.
Also the "mob" guys are very cliched and not the best acting.(Also kind of racist, as one of the waitresses remarks that all Italian restaurants are run by criminals. Nice).
Mira Sorvino is good, I think she normally is. Luckily the story mainly follows her as Meg, a woman who has had some type of trauma (I don't think they every fully explain what, or maybe I just missed that part - although I honestly did watch this one all the way through!). She has come home to stay with her Grandmother who seems to have some type of dementia, and she gets a job in an Italian restaurant. It's obvious the guys running it are pretty shady, but the full extent of it doesn't become apparent until she is in too deep to leave, setting up some horrible and unsettling situations.
In the meantime she has made good friends with the other two waitresses there played by Mariah and Melora Walters (who is okay - not outstanding - but next to Mariah, definitely okay).
This strikes me as a straight to DVD movie. I was so-so with it until about an hour in when it does pick up and it has a few interesting twists, the final one which actually left me teary. (However, I think that was more to do with a personal issue in my life over a friend I lost - I really don't think the acting was that great in this to credit it with that!). I didn't mind this movie. Definitely there are worse ones to spend an hour and a half with
July 30, 2010
Mariah didn't do such a bad job in this one. Altough the whole thing was kind of cheesy at some points and the story was so bland. Oh what the hell! The movie was cool to sit through. Nothing to get an award about but cool to watch on TV.
February 1, 2010
En DVD.
Tiene una trama interesante que te mantiene en vilo hasta que se desvela todo. Mira Sorvino esta muy bien y su personaje esta logrado en su patetismo, en contrapunto con la Carey, que dentro de su naturalidad es dificil saber hasta que punto es actuado. Entretenida, si...
February 2, 2009
interesting but forgetable.

VERY GIRLY FILM
July 21, 2008
A really good film ... good storyline!
½ July 10, 2008
Nice suspense drama. Surprising how Mariah acted really good in her role as a tough waitress.