Wishful Drinking - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wishful Drinking Reviews

February 24, 2017
In this one woman show, Carrie Fisher tells the story of hey unusual life and her extended family in brutal hilarious honesty. She holds you captivated for the entire time and has you laughing through it. The DVD has an interview with her mother, Debbie Reynolds, and it is not to be missed either. It shows how much affection they share.
December 28, 2016
Oh Carrie, your beautiful soul will forever be missed
June 29, 2016
There's still nobody like Carrie Fisher. Thank god we have her writing talent.
December 23, 2014
I had no idea that Carrie Fisher was this funny. You will laugh until your gasping for air.
December 22, 2013
Hilarious and heartfelt
April 24, 2013
good performance piece
April 16, 2013
Carrie Fisher: Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.
November 12, 2012
Nice effort, but it falls short. The live performance is incredibly good and the DVD just fails to capture it. Still worth seeing with caveats.
June 28, 2012
I think that I am going to have to pass on this one.
½ May 8, 2012
Really wished i'd not rented this filmed stage show. A sad come down for a fine actress and films obviously after one of her low points. Works as a cautionary tale but somewhat disappointing as a biography of an interesting life.
February 29, 2012
Hilarious! Oddly, though, I found the first part with her family history more entertaining than the Star Wars part.
jjnxn
½ December 22, 2011
Carrie runs you through the mill of her complex life, fascinating in parts a little too revealing in others. Be sure to watch the extra interview wiith Debbie Reynolds that is gold.
½ December 4, 2011
The very funny and poignant story of Carrie Fisher surviving Life, Star Wars, and mental illness.
½ November 5, 2011
Really liked the book and expected this to be the same but was really surprised at how fresh it was. Carrie Fisher is captivating and brutally honesty in this sweet one-woman show put on by HBO. Laughed hysterically throughout and visuals and audience participation really contributed well.
½ October 18, 2011
Carrie Fisher's one-woman Broadway show is a laid back treatise on life as a celebrity and a celebrity spawn. Fisher dishes on her famous parents but doesn't dig too deeply into her own battles with drugs, alcohol and celebrity. The highlight is a giant chalkboard of her famous family tree with which she tries to discern whether her daughter should date a man that may or may not be a relative. And yes, she dons the famous braids to remind us of the opportunity that allowed her to step out of her famous parents' shadow and into cultural iconography. All in all, Fisher is honest, blunt, and a bit too relaxed at times to add anything but kick-back giggles, but to ask more may be just wishful thinking.
½ September 18, 2011
Un "pas si mal" one-woman-show mettant en vedette Carrie Fisher, quoique je m'attendais mieux... :)
August 14, 2011
Carrie Fisher's one woman stage show has been recorded for TV/video. Wishful Drinking is more autobiography than stand-up, but it brims with Carrie Fisher's wonderful wit and her wisdom as a survivor.
½ August 6, 2011
Some funny bits. Interesting to learn more about her. I thought she was a lot older than me but she's not.
July 3, 2011
Wishful Drinking is Carrie Fisher's one woman show where she talks about her life and her addictions. To me it felt like she just scratched the surface. She talks mostly about the soup opera like childhood with her famous parents, Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher as well as the fallout from that relationship. She talks briefly about George Lucas and the Star Wars phenomenon and talks equally about her marriage to Paul Simon. I just wish there had been more insight into what happened and how this led to her addictions. The whole thing comes in at just over an hour. It was enjoyable watch, but I couldn't call it a must see.
June 12, 2011
Heard the book was great, but watching it was ALIVE!!! I heart Carrie!!!