Wishmaster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wishmaster Reviews

August 14, 2014
manages to provide in the cheesy good fun department!
August 12, 2014
Interesting concept that would have been amazing if only Wes Craven wrote AND DIRECTED
August 11, 2014
This movie was awesome meng! Y'all need to watch on netflix.
½ July 11, 2014
An underrated classic. Do not understand why this got such low ratings. Ya it is part of the whole cliched slasher formula but is that really a bad thing? This film doesn't pretend to be something its not. The occult mystery and Djinn mythos was very well explored and a lot of fun to play out would recommend loved this movie.
½ June 10, 2014
This movie gets credit for creativity. Even though it fails as a horror movie, it will still entertain you.
½ May 8, 2014
kind of pointless. Could have summed up the idea more quickly in a 20 minute tales from the crypt episode
½ May 7, 2014
(23%)
A bland and lifeless horror that haunted almost every video shop back in the late 90's. There's a few appearances from Englund, a cameo from Tony Todd, and Divoff as the Djinn is not bad, but the lack of good ideas and overall cheap feel make for a mostly dull sit. The make-up is decent, but the computer based effects are overused and suck. This is a quite weak, but not terrible, goofy horror and nothing more.
½ May 5, 2014
Despite some rather impressive visual/make-up effects from KNB, the story is cliché and leaves a lot to be desired.
May 4, 2014
I loved it. I thought the wishes were fun, I loved the concept of an infinitely powerful evil that can only use their abilities by granting (and twisting) the wishes of others, the effects were great (I've seen worse from newer films with big budgets), Divoff is a treat to watch, and of course, the delicious fact that a whole whopping bunch of cameos from all my favorite horror films. No where near perfect, but horror films rarely are. Nor do they ever get fair ratings.
April 25, 2014
I liked it. Bad ass really. Bad acting, some shoddy effects, good shit
½ April 7, 2014
What's up with all the hate for this movie? Part one of this series is cool and the guy who plays the Djinn is perfect for this role. He looks evil, creepy, and very unpredictable. This was a very enjoyable movie for me...
March 15, 2014
This 1997 horror movie was pretty scary. I never knew this movie was about a demonic genie granting a person that released him from his prison 3 wishes which the evil genie uses the wisher own wishes against the wisher. Like the old saying "Be careful what you wish for because you might just get it!" I was surprised to see Tony Todd and Robert Englund in this movie. Andrew Divoff did good playing "The Djinn" as the demonic genie. Robert Kurtzman did a great job directing this movie.
March 3, 2014
"The Monkey's Paw" with a genie. Dated effects, terrific villain. Divoff's voice is amazing. The cameo's from those that played Jason, Freddy and Candyman are a nice touch.
February 21, 2014
Not too bad for what it is and it's a real who's who of horror stars.
February 21, 2014
Good, not super great supernatural horror. The story is clever and solidly built. Divoff is a decent, creepy, gravel voiced Djinn. But the real fun is the catalog of cult horror icons involved; Robert Englund, Tony Todd, and Ted Raimi are costarring with direction by Robert Kurtzman and produced by Wes Craven. Definitely not the best any of them have done, but neat to have them all together in a very watchable film.
January 2, 2014
This film is good fun. Okay, so maybe the story is lacking, but if you are looking for a good film to sit and watch with your mates, then this is it. I found this to be highly entertaining, the death scenes very gory and bloody, but who cares what society thinks. If I like it, then I'll watch it, and I recommend that you do the same.
½ November 16, 2013
Surprisingly good, and was more impressed until I learned this came out in 1997 not mid to late 80's
November 16, 2013
Typical brutally grotesque horror yarn in which an unleashed creature manages to get people to wish for their own demise in seemingly random and convoluted ways. Highlight of the film: protagonist tells antagonist to F off via a cordless telephone.
September 6, 2013
Haven't seen it for years, but from what I remember it was a decent movie with a good premise. I don't remember the caliber of the actors, I just know that I liked the movie when I saw it years ago.
August 12, 2013
An utterly stupid movie with a half good concept. There's a part where this ancient Djinn (genie) who generally has a profound old-world style speech says "The shit just hit the fan," "That hurt like hell," and "Fuck it!"