With a Song in My Heart - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

With a Song in My Heart Reviews

July 21, 2016
Susan Hayward was nominated for an Oscar for her performance as radio sweetheart Jane Froman (who actually voice-dubbed for Hayward); the screenplay is a bit mushy, but the musical scenes are terrific.
May 28, 2014
A tad bit overly sentimental. Susan Hayward cannot be blamed and makes the most of a contrived story.
½ March 5, 2014
A nice story with nice songs about the rise of a nice star. We need more nice. I enjoy nice.
½ February 28, 2011
Great story. Well acted. Horrible ending. Can't have everything I guess.
July 9, 2010
Susan Hayward gives an Oscar-worthy performance as singer Jane Froman who triumphed over tragedy.
½ December 17, 2009
This is one of my mom's movies-- I'd never heard of Jane Forman in my life-- but I really enjoyed it.
March 4, 2009
Susan Hayward does an amazing job as Jane Froman. This is her picture all the way. Very well made, good costumes, excellent music score. Always interesting and the characters are very well defined.
October 5, 2008
True story of a very talented singer in the 40's who after being in a plane crash, and having life altering injuries, still went overseas and tirelessly entertained the troops. Susan Hayward did an awesome job playing Jane Froman...you couldn't tell she was lipsyncing...and they actually used Jane's real voice for the songs. Some of the scenes and lines were corny and dumb, but when you realize what this woman went through, and the fact that they stick pretty close to her story, it makes the movie that much more interesting and that is the reason I gave this 4 stars.
September 29, 2008
The songs are too dated, but it's a great story. Thelma Ritter's heartbreakingly hilarious.
August 23, 2008
Susan Hayward was a remarkable actress, and although she was fantastic, it was NOT her voice, they dubbed Jane Froman's voice.
½ August 15, 2008
great supporting cast
August 5, 2008
I am a big fan of what everyone calls "old" movies. I love the songs in this film, and the story is just amazing. Beautiful songs, beautiful music, beautiful story.
½ July 26, 2008
Not quite as good as I expected it would be, but not bad. Was surprised that it was in Technicolor--most of Hayward's biopics were in b&w.
July 3, 2008
want to see this because it won best comedy or musical picture at the golden globes
½ June 18, 2008
a great combination of a musical,bio , and dramatic film.the film really captures the life of jane froman. susan hayward is wonderful, she really played her with realism and passion.
June 15, 2008
Very touching. A brilliant movie. The family loved it. This gal's got a voice!
½ June 2, 2008
I was kind of diassapointed that Susan Hayward didn't play it with a little more spunk, because I kept imagining Charles Busch doing the role but the film gets better once Jane Froman has her near fatal accident and sassy Thelma Ritter jumps into the picture. David Wayne is pretty awful in this- maybe it's the bad writing. He's the father figure husband who basically nagged Jane Froman into marrying him. He then gets resentful when she becomes a big star. The lip synching is reminiscent of Joan Crawford in Torch Song and there about a million songs that are arranged for popular tastes of the day. Super schmaltzy and not in a good way. Still it has its moments.
May 11, 2008
This is a very fine Mario Lanza movie
April 2, 2008
One of my favorite movies. Very inspirational. Robert Wagner, as a shell-shocked young soldier, was such a cute young man. Great musical score.
½ January 4, 2008
A good tearjerker, especially the scene in the army recovery hospital.