With Six You Get Eggroll - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

With Six You Get Eggroll Reviews

November 25, 2016
Doris Day makes her exit with this film! You can tell she wasn't liking the direction movies were going so decided to bow out. Not her best film but had a few funny moments...
September 30, 2015
Cheese with lots of whiny children. It was cute, but rather contrived.
½ September 21, 2014
While not Doris Day's best film, it was her last. A cute light comedy that you don't need to think about.
½ June 23, 2014
Doris Day retired from making films after this genial comedy, which is too bad because it proves she would have graduated nicely from single gal to mother. This is definitely not her best movie, but it's smart and funny and deals with blended families in a surprisingly realistic fashion. If you can get beyond the rotten title, it's a very nice story for the whole family.
April 3, 2014
Great family movie- very much like the Brady Bunch before the Brady Bunch- except with good actors.
August 13, 2013
I thought I had seen this and therefore gave it 4 stars. Then I REALLY did see it and had to take it down to 3 stars. NOT my favorite Doris Day movie. By far. And you would think with this cast it would have been a brilliant and brilliantly funny movie. And while there ARE funny parts, most of this is a grating, shouting kind of movie that you are really tired of by the end.
February 6, 2013
Hilarious and heartfelt 60s family comedy thats so innocent and lovable. Doris Day is a legend and always makes me smile at the absurd situations her characters get into. Incredibly feel good family fun - the title is enough of a hint for what the audience is in for.
May 23, 2012
I LOVE THE CAST.OLD CLASSIC.SWEET.VERY FUNNY
September 3, 2011
...and so it came to this, this fluffy yet dated romantic comedy would turn out to be Doris Day's final film, though no-one knew that at the time, but the death of the film's producer, Martin Melcher, who was also Day's husband contributed to that. So, despite it being funny, there is an added poignancy with this that it was Day's swansong. It has widowed mother Abby McClure (Day) struggling to juggle her 3 sons Flip (John Findlater), Jason (Richard S. Steele) and Mitch (Jimmy Bracken), and her late husbands timber business. Then she bumps into an old friend, widowed chemical engineer Jake Iverson (Brian Keith) who lives with his daughter Stacey (Barbara Hershey). Abby hasn't seen Jake for a while but something sparks between them, and they start dating quietly, then on a whim, they get married in Las Vegas. However, they never told their children, imagine the shock when the McClure boys find a man in Mommy's bed!! But, they all have to get used to living with one another, Stacey wants to be the woman of the house, but can't get used to that with Abby around, while Flip can't stand Jake. It's a product of it's time, rather like a smaller scale version of Yours, Mine & Ours (1968). As one film career ended with this film, another one began with this one, as comedian George Carlin made his debut in this.
July 18, 2011
My Favorite Part~ she's on her Blind Date with Brian Keith, on a Crowded Dance Floor getting Groped by Strangers, when her Fake Eyelash falls off onto her Upper Cheek, & he has to help her.Really Cute Movie.I think the Brady Bunch was born from this Movie.
April 23, 2011
What an odd film. This has a ridiculously strained way to get its title. hippies riding Winnebagos, George Carlin serving coffee, Barbara Hershey karate chopping a chicken truck driver, and child nudity are just a few of the things you're in for with this ribald '68 comedy classic!
April 18, 2011
Masoquist...One of the more unique titles in film history. And packaged macaroni and beef? How dated.
December 11, 2010
Is this movie as stupid as the title sounds? Yes, it is. This is one of those movies with a huge family and a lot of predictable stupid jokes that you get before they give them. It has a few good moments, but overall it's really average fare.
November 6, 2009
Capsule review from when I first saw it:
The Brady Bunch on the big screen. A widow (Doris Day) with three sons meets, falls in love with and marries a widower (Brian Keith) with one daughter, and as they try to make their two families one, chaos follows. First, Day's oldest son and Keith's daughter do everything possible to break up the couple. Second, neither of their houses has enough room for all six of them. Egg Roll was only funny at some points, and other jokes or bits just flopped. That must be why this movie just rolled right off the radar.
October 23, 2009
Kind of like a Yours Mine and Ours story, just on a lower scale. Very fun!
August 31, 2009
This is one ove those movies that is kind of dumb but you love it anyways...
August 18, 2009
Always heard a lot about Doris Day but had never seen any of her movies, so I watched this one not long ago. Not a bad movie about two sides of a family blending and then having marital problems along with step-sibling rivalries. I can see where everyone says it was a precursor to The Brady Bunch. Parts of the movie are mildly humorous and overall it's entertaining, but nothing notably great. The ending where the family members finally got on the right page seemed forced and unconvincing, however.
July 4, 2009
Think this is the only Doris Day movie I've ever seen. I could see where it could be considered a sort of precursor to "The Brady Bunch", in that it shows how two different families (i.e., the kids) struggle to blend into one, which is mainly because the two parents decided to get married too quickly (they didn't even know how old each other were!). It has its mildly funny parts, but nothing that's real laugh out loud funny. And the moment at the end of the film where the opposite sides of the family acknowledge the others as their family by calling the stepdad "our father" and saying "we're family" was too obviously forced and unconvincing. "With Six You Get Eggroll" succeeds in being more charming and making you think twice of getting married too fast than being funny. So this was Doris Day's last movie? Why? She was still pretty and pretty young. Oh well, decent movie to go out on.
½ March 14, 2009
Doris's last movie, you can see her age in it but she still looks amazing. It's just good fun, and has a great over the top ending!
March 12, 2009
Good ole wholesome fun...that reminds me of my childhood with my mommy!!