Within the Woods - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Within the Woods Reviews

½ May 13, 2016
Simple, charming practical body horror with the creative seed of The Evil Dead.
April 17, 2016
Bad, but there is so much potential here for greatness. Sam Raimi later remade this as The Evil Dead with the same cast. This is the reason I love independent low budget movies so much; the filmmakers can make what they want without studios making it a paint by numbers fiasco.
½ November 2, 2015
The precursor to the Evil Dead franchise, this was a low budget short film made to entice possible investors into a larger budget full feature film. It's clear it had potential, although the downside is that today's remaining footage wasn't preserved and looks like it was copied from a half melted VHS. It's hard to hear or see what is going on for a lot of it and I imagine an actual film transfer would show its true value.
October 16, 2015
The short that inspired Evil Dead is slow, but it shows the early talent of Sam Raimi and what started his rise to fame. 6/10
½ February 19, 2015
Even if cheap, generic and not scary whatsoever, you've got to give it credit for making possible one of the best horror movies ever.
January 21, 2015
Only available in super bad quality bootleg, this is Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell's sort of test run of Evil Dead. Its nowhere near as good in terms of the way its shot or its acting, and the writing is pretty unfortunate. Its kind of clear why Raimi isn't trying to hard to get the music copyrights cleared for a DVD extra feature release. I probably wouldn't either.
August 22, 2014
Interesting short film, this is the film that Sam Raimi and the crew made to earn money so that they can make The Evil Dead.
Only copy of this film available is on Youtube but in terrible quality, due to Sam not allowing the film to be released on DVD, so it never got remastered.
June 13, 2014
I personally did not find it scary,but i gave it some credit for helping Sam and his friends to make "The Evil Dead."
March 13, 2013
Decent debut short film from Sam Raimi...a precursor to The Evil Dead. Doesn't have the comedy of The Evil Dead, more pure horror/gore...
½ March 4, 2013
Within the Woods is the 32 minute film that Sam Raimi, Robert Tapert and Bruce Campbell made before Evil Dead. They made it as a reassurance that their vision for a feature could work and it also proved invaluable in finding funding for Evil Dead. This short was proof that these guys knew what they were doing. To this day the film has never seen a release and the only quality available is poor... but I think that adds a huge amount of character to it. Apparently Raimi tried to get the film cleaned up for a dvd release but music licensing stopped that in its tracks. The story is basically the same as Evil Dead. A group of friends spend a weekend at a cabin in the woods and one afternoon they accidentally disturb the ground at an ancient indian burial site. Evil spirits chase them, possess them and kills them. For a micro-budget short film it's skilled and impressive and clearly announces a great new filmmaker. Great editing, great music and excellent gore effects. If you love Evil Dead (what respecting horror buff doesn't?) then you will get a huge kick out of this flick.
January 13, 2013
An excellent short piece- the film quality (on beta) is predictably quite bad, but the acting is actually fairly solid for a very, very rough "demo style" which would morph into the legendary Evil Dead and its sequels.

You may notice a lot of film elements are similar to the Evil Dead, including of course, Raimis signiature "along the ground" film shots- overall quite a good "movie" indeed!
December 7, 2012
Cortometraggio dal bassissimo budget, interessante per quanto riguarda i costumi che non sono malvagi. La storia non esiste (ma e' un corto dunque va bene cosi') e non riesco ad intravedere perche' questo corto sia meglio di altri (forse la scena dell'inseguimento nel bosco?). Comunque alla fine Raimi diventera' Raimi e questo e' stato il suo trampolino di lancio.
½ March 18, 2012
Bit like Evil Dead but with a different story and characters, and a lot shorter. The story is actually pretty fun and exciting and the characters are great, plus it has Bruce Campbell, but he doesn't play Ash in this one.
½ March 15, 2012
The version I saw had really bad video quality, not sure if it has something to do with how old the movie is or if it was just the video I saw. This is a pretty intresting film if you are a big Evil Dead fan (wich I am), because it's the main insperation to Evil Dead. Overall I find it very unwatchable due to the bad video quality.
October 13, 2011
Holy crap! Where Evil Dead's special effects fell short and added to the campiness of the film, the version of Within the woods I watched was so degraded that you simply couldn't tell if it was special effects or not! It's almost as if, thanks to the degradation over time, they achieved what they were trying to get the money to do. In my opinion, way scarier than any of the evil dead movies, simply because it feels like you're watching a snuff film!
April 28, 2011
a brilliant precursor to the EVIL DEAD
July 23, 2010
This low- budget short movie with Bruce Campbell in one of the roles and Sam Raimi as director paved way for the evil dead trilogy.
½ January 13, 2010
I gave it some love mainly cause its the original evil dead
October 8, 2009
Just goes to show that Sam Raimi can do just about anything with a low budget
½ October 6, 2009