Witness for the Prosecution - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Witness for the Prosecution Reviews

September 10, 2016
I absolutely loved this film. The acting was superb. The screenplay, off the charts! Whether you like older movies or not, if you have the opportunity, give Witness for the Prosecution a try!
½ September 6, 2016
Excellent courtroom drama. Another awesome classic.
July 12, 2016
From the mind of the Queen of Crime and Direction of one of the most brilliant and versatile filmmakers of Hollywood , Comes One of the greatest courtroom drama ever!
July 6, 2016
Though it drags somewhat in the middle and can at times be over-the-top, the thrilling conclusion and skillful character acting throughout allow this intriguing courtroom drama to handily stand the test of time.
June 23, 2016
Charles Laughton is amazing.
May 28, 2016
Well acted court drama by Billy Wilder. Liked the twist ending, although it felt a little rushed.
May 3, 2016
Dull, until the wild, unearned finale.
April 1, 2016
I enjoyed this one. The swerve was fun. Charles Laughton was great. My biggest complaint would be that Tyrone Power was WAY over-the-top with his acting, to the degree that it hindered the scenes he was in. It was also brought to my attention that the character Elsa Lanchester played is what Madeline Kahn used for inspiration for her character in Blazing Saddles. Kinda cool!
March 11, 2016
OUTSTANDING MOVIE.For those of you of enjoy "Whodunilt" movies don't miss this classic!
February 21, 2016
Witness for the Prosecution is my type of courtroom drama.
Often people are mistaken to think that this movie is directed by Alfred Hitchcock (It is directed by Billy Wilder) because of how immensely thrilling this movie is, it is a courtroom drama about a man supposedly having killed an older acquaintance.
This movie unfolds perfectly continuously surprising audience members with new info on the trial. Even if people dont like watching ''old'' movies or let alone courtroom dramas, watch this film because of Charles Laughton's powerhouse performance, he is the apex of an incredibly tall and strong mountain of memorable and phenomenal performances.

Witness for the Prosecution might be Wilder's best film. (and he made a whole bunch of true masterpieces, e.g, Sunset Blvd. Double Indemnity and Some Like it Hot)
February 18, 2016
a classic courtroom drama movie in the Old Bailey
½ December 28, 2015
El gran Billy Wilder dirige esta adaptación de una novela de Agatha Christie acerca de un abogado entrado en edad (un magistral Charles Laughton) quien asume el caso de un hombre (un ambiguo Tyrone Power en su último papel en el cine) acusado de asesinato. Completa el elenco una durísima Marlene Dietrich, interpretando a la esposa del acusado y Elsa Lanchester (pareja en la vida real de Laughton) como una enfermera sobreprotectora. Una de las mejores películas sobre juicios en la historia del cine.
December 17, 2015
A great coatroom drama with a double-twist ending. While straying quite a bit from the Agatha Christie source material it also includes much of the dialogue of the original play with its characteristic Christie style.
½ November 25, 2015
Absolutely superb, with some brilliant twists to keep you guessing.
November 8, 2015
A rare real classic; I was very surprised. The story is the best part of the film; unpredictable and quite unique insofar as that I have not seen another legal film like it. I didn't realise the Charles Laughton was such a comedic talent either. I was impressed by the Henry VIII film he did but this was a great performance and without him, this film would have been half as good.
October 9, 2015
"Witness for the prosecution" based in an Agatha Christie's story has all the elements of the noir film and the courtroom drama well assembled. Charles Laughton as the barrister has a superb performance and so Marlene Dietrich too.
September 24, 2015
A master stroke from Hollywood Maverick director Billy Wilder who brings to a life a fascinating murder trial in court involving an out of retirement lawyer & seemingly innocent man with a strange wife.

This film to me cements the power Marlene Dietrich had on screen, the camera adores her. The film leaves you guessing & nothing adds up.

The film is truly made in the final minutes with one of the best twist endings I have seen in a Court Room Film in years. Even during the ending credits there is a voice disclaimer encouraging you to not share the ending with your friends.
August 29, 2015
Great court room drama with an star studded cast. Laughton commands, Dietrich allures and Power is deceptive. A true classic.
August 26, 2015
One of the best courtroom dramas with great performances by Marlene Dietrich and Charles Laughton. Billy Wilder is one of my favorite all-time directors, and this adds to his canon of fantastic films.