Witness for the Prosecution - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Witness for the Prosecution Reviews

½ July 25, 2017
El gran Billy Wilder dirige esta adaptación de una novela de Agatha Christie acerca de un abogado entrado en edad (un magistral Charles Laughton) quien asume el caso de un hombre (un ambiguo Tyrone Power en su último papel en el cine), acusado de asesinato.

Completa el elenco una durísima Marlene Dietrich, interpretando a la esposa del acusado y Elsa Lanchester (pareja en la vida real de Laughton), como una enfermera sobreprotectora.

Basada en la obra de Agatha Christie, esta es quizás una de las mejores películas sobre juicios en la historia del cine.
½ July 22, 2017
The most impressive thing about Witness for the Prosecution is that it's a classic film from 60 years ago and yet it kept me guessing from beginning to end. I was constantly wondering what would happen, and how they could win this case. Even up to the final frames of film it shocked me, and that's hard to do now that I've become a more experienced (and jaded) movie fan.

Charles Laughton is superb as the grumpy old barrister whose mind hasn't slowed down one bit no matter what condition his body might be in. I loved the comic relief the movie offered through his relationship with his nurse, played by Elsa Lanchester. Their interplay in the opening scenes was hilarious and it kept giving me something to smile about during the trial.

Tyrone Power turned on the charm and you instantly take his side in the film. He also turns up the drama for some of the difficult courtroom scenes. Marlene Dietrich was the wild card. In many scenes I wasn't enjoying her presence, in fact I was starting to think I completely hated her performance. Without spoiling anything, let's just say she reveals something that justifies all that came before.

There are moments in Witness for the Prosecution that I didn't enjoy, but they were few and far between. Despite any nitpicks I have, it's still an amazing film in a genre I adore. I want to own it at some point so I can freely watch it again and again. In fact there are a bunch of scenes that would take on new meaning knowing how it all concludes. It's a stellar movie that impressed me a lot.
July 2, 2017
Billy Wilder adapting and directing Agatha Christie is everything the pretentious film snob in me hoped it would be.
½ June 24, 2017
A wonderful old classic Billy Wilder flick and one of my favs--great Dame Agatha vehicle with a fantastic cast, especially the husband-wife team of Lancaster and Laughton! This one will never age!
May 15, 2017
Excellent movie. Twisty endings. I figured out only part of the twist.
½ May 6, 2017
This movie relies well on the outstanding performance of Charles Laughton and it makes for a fantastic, intelligent movie. The climax at the end is surprising and satisfying in tying up all the plot lines nicely, a movie everyone should enjoy.
½ April 27, 2017
A solid courtroom drama with remarkable twists. The ending truly is a treat, and makes this a film not to be missed. The cast is terrific with Marlene Dietrich especially standing out. (First and only viewing - 6/21/2012)
April 11, 2017
Excellent movie. Couldn't have been better
March 23, 2017
Excellent drama, one of the best trial scenes in cinema with powerful performances from Dietrich, Power and Laughton!
January 1, 2017
One of the best films ever. Performances from both Laughton and Dietrich are over-the-top. Tyrone Power does also an amazing job.
½ December 27, 2016
The star here is definitely Charles Laughton, who steals the show and makes each one of his lines sound memorable in this delightfully witty and clever plot by Agatha Christie adapted by Billy Wilder into a near perfect piece of thought-provoking entertainment.
December 7, 2016
Classic. On Blu-ray.
½ December 4, 2016
An amazing cast and an amazing story with a twist ending that you can't see coming. Another masterpiece from Wilder.
November 26, 2016
all time greatest detective theme movie
September 10, 2016
I absolutely loved this film. The acting was superb. The screenplay, off the charts! Whether you like older movies or not, if you have the opportunity, give Witness for the Prosecution a try!
½ September 6, 2016
Excellent courtroom drama. Another awesome classic.
July 12, 2016
From the mind of the Queen of Crime and Direction of one of the most brilliant and versatile filmmakers of Hollywood , Comes One of the greatest courtroom drama ever!
July 6, 2016
Though it drags somewhat in the middle and can at times be over-the-top, the thrilling conclusion and skillful character acting throughout allow this intriguing courtroom drama to handily stand the test of time.
June 23, 2016
Charles Laughton is amazing.
May 28, 2016
Well acted court drama by Billy Wilder. Liked the twist ending, although it felt a little rushed.