Witness for the Prosecution Reviews

• Jan 07, 2019

This is an amazing movie that will keep you guessing until the very last moment. The producer & director did a marvelous job telling the story of a man accused of murder. The movie has bits of comedic moments which just add to the enjoyment of this plot. Marlene dietrich does a wonderful job with tyrone power. Each are rarely in the same scene but their story lines are intertwined. This is a must see!!

• Jan 06, 2019

This is a movie that makes me believe that cinema is timeless, because it is, in this case. The plot is intriguing with a top notch ending and the actors and actresses makes believe we are really in a court room.

• Jul 08, 2018

A classic mystery and courtroom drama film superbly directed with powerful performances and one of the greatest last minute plot-twists I have ever seen. 8/10

• Jun 22, 2018

Exciting, suspensful and riddled with plot twists.

Exciting, suspensful and riddled with plot twists.

• May 23, 2018

Witness For The Prosecution offers some delightful little humor, but has incredible performances from Marlene Dietrich and Charles Laughton. The film really toys with plot convention, heck it has a great plot twist too!

• May 12, 2018

what a twist plot a great movie

what a twist plot a great movie

• Jan 03, 2018

even though the movie is 60 years old, Is the perfect example of what movies were created for: entertain us, and this one did it´s job pretty pretty good.

• Jul 25, 2017

El gran Billy Wilder dirige esta adaptación de una novela de Agatha Christie acerca de un abogado entrado en edad (un magistral Charles Laughton) quien asume el caso de un hombre (un ambiguo Tyrone Power en su último papel en el cine), acusado de asesinato. Completa el elenco una durísima Marlene Dietrich, interpretando a la esposa del acusado y Elsa Lanchester (pareja en la vida real de Laughton), como una enfermera sobreprotectora. Basada en la obra de Agatha Christie, esta es quizás una de las mejores películas sobre juicios en la historia del cine.

• Jul 22, 2017

The most impressive thing about Witness for the Prosecution is that it's a classic film from 60 years ago and yet it kept me guessing from beginning to end. I was constantly wondering what would happen, and how they could win this case. Even up to the final frames of film it shocked me, and that's hard to do now that I've become a more experienced (and jaded) movie fan. Charles Laughton is superb as the grumpy old barrister whose mind hasn't slowed down one bit no matter what condition his body might be in. I loved the comic relief the movie offered through his relationship with his nurse, played by Elsa Lanchester. Their interplay in the opening scenes was hilarious and it kept giving me something to smile about during the trial. Tyrone Power turned on the charm and you instantly take his side in the film. He also turns up the drama for some of the difficult courtroom scenes. Marlene Dietrich was the wild card. In many scenes I wasn't enjoying her presence, in fact I was starting to think I completely hated her performance. Without spoiling anything, let's just say she reveals something that justifies all that came before. There are moments in Witness for the Prosecution that I didn't enjoy, but they were few and far between. Despite any nitpicks I have, it's still an amazing film in a genre I adore. I want to own it at some point so I can freely watch it again and again. In fact there are a bunch of scenes that would take on new meaning knowing how it all concludes. It's a stellar movie that impressed me a lot.

• Jul 02, 2017

Billy Wilder adapting and directing Agatha Christie is everything the pretentious film snob in me hoped it would be.