Woh ping faan dim (The Peace Hotel) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Woh ping faan dim (The Peace Hotel) Reviews

January 16, 2014
The King of Killers massacres his enemies and his friends, and out of guilt erects the Peace Hotel. Anyone seeking refuge for whatever reason can stay there, and those seeking revenge stay away in order to not bother Killer's potential wrath. Everything is going fine until a woman shows up claiming to be the mother of Killer's son.

Everyone at the hotel is enamored by her lies, but Killer sees right through her. The story is intriguing, intertwining themes of regret and forgiveness. Unfortunately, the poor direction with the action scenes maim the rest of the film. The fight scenes are overly shaky and blurry to convey a sense of chaos, but you can't get a good feel of what''s going on. Only in the final battle does the camera finally let you see what is happening, but there are three core action sequences and two are shoddy.

If the action scenes were better directed then they could have matched the strength of the story. Instead it remains as one of Chow Yun Fat's lesser films.
January 3, 2011
Something you can't miss
August 22, 2010
Produced by John Woo, Peace Hotel starring Chow Yun Fat is a mystery action drama revolves around a mysterious killer that kills everyone in a hotel and soon set it up that harbors people with a bad past, protecting them from bad people hunting them. When a mysterious woman enters the hotel, rules are broken and someone from the past returns for revenge of the hotel owner. While the movie I felt was a little lazy on the action, the 1st act of the film captures the curious of the audience but sadly falls terribly in the 2nd act. Overall, the movie is a nice touch but it would have been better if it manage to keep the plot on track.
½ August 15, 2010
This movie only deserves 3 stars (what with the Western movie setting in 1930's China??), what upgrades it to 3.5 starts are Cecilia Yip's performance (fiesty without over acting) and the theme song (beautifully sung by Cass Pang).
½ August 7, 2010
movie from my childhood, recognize the music and some of the scene, and also chow yun fat angry face -_-...

I remember someone rented the vhs... hahaha... it's funny to know that i already watched this kind of movie when i was a little boy -_-
½ December 10, 2009
One of the better ones I remember.
September 1, 2009
Before Sukiyaki Western Django there was Peace Hotel and it was way damn better! Cecilia Yip is just amazing as the crazy mythomaniac whore who falls for Fat.
October 1, 2008
I rented this from my local video store, but I think that the DVD must have been bootleg ore possible just had really shitty subtitles. It was a little hard to follow, cause of poor translation. Overall thanks to it being rather wacky, it managed to entertain. The final gunfight, while really really short, was pretty cool. There's also a montage of Chow Yun Fat hitting a woman, what's not to like?
½ July 9, 2008
Good action show case for Chow Yun-Fat.
June 5, 2008
There are some really nice Sergio Leone-moments in this film. Wai Ka Fais directorial debut is a respectful hommage to the Italian westerns of the 60's & 70's. Much like Wais partner Johnny To's Exiled from 2006, Peace Hotel is extremely stylish . Props to Tony Chow for mad skills in the editing room.
April 7, 2008
love chow...he is always so cool....fyi, this is his last movie in hk before he went to hollywood...
½ February 9, 2008
Even with some of its sumptuous action sequences, I think there could be better improvements with this latter-day Chow Yun-fat (prior to his stab with the Hollywood system) and John Woo-produced epic.
January 27, 2008
It's a premise that is never fully fleshed out, with concepts and characters not drawn out well enough either, so you go through the whole film kinda like "...okay."

Also, Cecilia's character was the most god-awful annoying character on the planet. So not only did I not care about her, but I didn't see how Chow's character could fall for her. Her role really detracted from the film.
½ January 15, 2008
una película maravillosa donde yun fat es el guionista y ka fai wai el director, ultima película que filmara en hong kong.
½ January 11, 2008
Kiinalainen Westerni ja viela pirun hyva. tasta kiitokset loistavalle ohjaukselle ja Chow Yun-Fatin nayttelija suoritukselle
November 22, 2007
Okay. (VCD May 2007)
November 13, 2007
Chow Yun Fat is great in any action film, even 1930's style things.
October 29, 2007
Chow kills so many people in this movie. Very odd film, but very boss.
October 6, 2007
Chow's last movie in HK...(he become a Hollywood actor after this movie.)
Always hero, killer, cool...
½ August 24, 2007
Known of the existence of this movie for a long time but never saw it before. After watching the whole DVD, I believe that my decision not to go to the cinema to watch is an appropriate one. Just not as good as expected from Chow.