Wolf Girl (Blood Moon) Reviews

• Mar 10, 2013

WOLF GIRL, or BLOOD MOON, as it is known internationally, is one of the finest achievements in Gothic Horror to arrive in decades. This tragic tale centers Tara, an afflicted young woman whose hypertrichosis has gained her renown as the terrifying "Wolf Girl" in Harley Dune's Travelling Freak Show. After being tormented by a group of unruly teens at one of their stops, Tara is approached by a timid admirer, who claims he can help restore her looks using an experimental drug. Tara begins the treatments, but as she takes on a more human appearance, her instincts become more wild and animalistic as she regresses into the mindset of a wolf. WOLF GIRL is the most sincere and loving portrayal of human oddities since Tod Browning's FREAKS, exuding a sense of warmth and family between the players in Harley's sideshow. It places a firm emphasis on character and theme that only lightly touches on horror. Victoria Sanchez pours everything she has in to her performance as Tara, giving us a painfully sad and empathetic character with whom to relate. She wants nothing more than to be liked and to be loved, and is willing to risk her humanity if it means being accepted. Acceptance and appearance play a vital role in the development of the villains, as well. Through Beau and Krystal, we slowly begin to see the hidden imperfections that drive the teens to project their anxieties outwardly by attacking Tara. Interestingly enough, the characters with the most notable differences physically also show the most self-confidence and strength, as seen through Athena the Fat Lady and Ryan, Tara's scrawny but bold defender. Grace Jones performs a compelling music number that speaks towards inner beauty as the androgynous Christoph/Christine. Tim Curry is perfectly suited to play the role of the sideshow barker, Harley Dune, in another wonderful performance. All that aside, WOLF GIRL is a clever reversal of traditional werewolf lore that offers a refreshing new take on the genre. Lori Lansens provides a carefully crafted and character-driven script that is masterfully brought to life under the direction of Thom Fitzgerald. The film is magnificently shot under a dark Gothic aesthetic, from the beautiful costuming to the timeless carnival backdrop and fantastic score by Christophe Beck. This is essential viewing for any Gothic Horror or werewolf fans. -Carl Manes I Like Horror Movies

• Feb 01, 2012

This wasn't your typical werewolf movie and yet it wasw really good. The special effects were great...The acting all around was done good, expecially by th elead girl Sanchez. I haven't seen Tim Curry in anything in a long time, he is a good actor.

• Oct 01, 2011

The tag line need only read: Somehow Grace Jones is in this movie. I haven't seen it yet but I'll bet it deserves at least a half star for being at least that intriguing.

• May 25, 2011

Just a perfect, genre defying great little movie.

Just a perfect, genre defying great little movie.

• Sep 30, 2010

this is one of the best werewolf movies I ever seen, well if simbolic because when she is hairy her mind is human and when she is human form, her mind is animal and furious

• Feb 12, 2010

jst love dis movie!!

jst love dis movie!!

• Dec 24, 2009

camp and funny in parts but overall a very good watch

camp and funny in parts but overall a very good watch

• Oct 01, 2009

it was a interesting take on the werewolf legend.but not that good.it was one of those movies thats worth watching only once.

• Jul 30, 2009

Atmospheric and surprisingly effective horror thriller. Unusual plot, the cast is terrific. The film has a nice look to it. I wasn't completely satisfied with the last fourth of the film, but it's still a good story. Good make-up, well made in general.

• Jun 18, 2009

At first, I was dreading the arrival of this film from Netflix. I thought it was going to be another generic low-budget werewolf movie, but to my surprise, Wolf Girl (it's original title. I refuse to refer to it by it's dumbed down DVD release title) manages to be a VERY unique horror drama that is a cross between Tod Browning's Freaks and Lucky McKee's May. The story is a about a wolf girl (played by the beautiful Victoria Sanchez), a deformed youth with mass amounts of hair and canine-like tendencies who rides from village to village with a traveling carnival of actual freaks, led by none other than Tim Curry (who doesn't ham it up like he normally does and delivers an honest performance). Naturally, the townsfolk of this new town are either idiotically amused or genuinely freaked out by the new arrivals, particularly the wolf girl, save for one loner kid (played by Dov Tiefenbach, the silly stoner kid from Jason X), who befriends her. After she's bullied and attacked by a group of youths (led by Shawn Ashmore, Iceman from the X-men movies, who shares a freakish secret of his own that comes out of nowhere and sure as hell surprised me), her and Dov mess with his mom's (Lesley Ann Warren, who's a bit underused in this I must say) science experiments to help her shed all of the hair. As the story goes on, we see an ironic twist of fate as the wolf girl tries to hard to shed her wolf image, the more human she appears, the more animalistic she becomes. The story winds up being genuinely heartbreaking, and the actors do a fine job of conveying these emotions. This film totally surprised me, and I loved it. I only wish it wasn't poorly marketed with such a moronic title and terrible, unrelated poster art. Be on the lookout for Darlene Cates (What's Eating Gilbert Grape) in another emotional role as the fat woman of the circus, as well as Grace Jones (Vamp, Conan the Destroyer) who, clearly unable to age, plays a part-man, part-woman freak. Little person, Jordan Prentice (also terrific in In Bruges), also has an early and well-acted role in this film as well. Overall, terrific movie. Very surprised by how well this turned out.