Woman of the Year - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Woman of the Year Reviews

January 19, 2014
First of the Tracy-Hepburn movies. The bar scene and love scene are absolutely sublime. But the story wasn't quite funny enough for me, and I disliked the ending.
½ December 31, 2013
I'm not Seabiscuit.

Sam is a sports writer and Tess is a political writer for the same news paper. They decide to go to lunch one day, fall in love, and they eventually get married. Their relationship is strained by Tess's fast paced lifestyle and disregard for their relationship. Can Sam and Tess stay together or will their marriage end in a bitter divorce?

"This time I want to be a prize myself."

George Stevens, director of Shane, Giant, A Place in the Sun, Penny Serenade, Vivacious Lady, Laddie, The More the Merrier, and The Only Game in Town, delivers Woman of the Year. The storyline for this picture is a bit scattered but the characters are very interesting and well portrayed. The cast delivers excellent performances and includes Katherine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Reginald Owen, William Bendix, Roscoe Karns.

"Our paper sends two men to cover this one game?"

I DVR'd this picture off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) because it starred Spencer Tracy. He looked so young in this movie and his every interaction with Katherine Hepburn was perfect. This film is a rollercoaster that is delivered very well. I strongly recommend seeing this film if you're a fan of the classics.

"As a substitution he won't do."

Grade: A-
September 8, 2013
A classic Hepburn-Tracy romance. What makes the duo work stems mainly from Hepburn whose strong-willed, independent and stubborn characters (who have no glimmer of self awareness) sweep the stoic Tracy into a whirlwind of madness, which stumbles through in somewhat of a daze.
July 15, 2013
Snappy romantic comedy! There's a reason Tracy and Hepburn were such a famous pair. In this, their first pairing, they're both newspaper reporters. Their chemistry and delivery of great dialog with plenty of attitude is worth seeing.
June 10, 2013
The film earlier has one of the very best Tracy-Hepburn love scenes, full of the sense of private shelter that they uniquely purvey. one of my fave tracy-hepburn pairings.
May 24, 2013
The film sparkles like champagne. Okay the plot is flimsy, not to mention corny, but the magnetism and chemistry that goes on between Tracy and Hepburn is enough to keep you enthralled for hours.
½ April 23, 2013
Entertaining little story. The best thing about the movie was the Tracy Hepburn interaction. This was their first film together but the compatibility was obvious.
½ February 6, 2013
I love this actor/actress combination and will watch anything with Tracy and Hepburn in it. This was so enjoyable to watch. The comedy, the romance; the scene where she is trying to make him breakfast is hilarious. Definitely a favourite film.
February 2, 2013
hepburn and tracy's first screen pairing and it's a rough ride. it's saved somewhat by some light humour but the abyss of mainstream sensibilities is evident and it drags!
½ October 26, 2012
The very last line and associated event killed it from 5 stars. Otherwise it was entertaining although depressing as hell, and sappy enough to make me happy, and yay for happy endings <3
½ September 16, 2012
a couple great scenes can't redeem a story centered on sexism/racism/classism
½ September 4, 2012
A nice role reversal when it comes to who is the bread winner in the relationship.

Grade: B+
August 19, 2012
it slows down a bit in the middle, but "woman of the year" is a classic katharine hepburn and spencer tracy film, that features some of the best chemistry between the two actors that i've seen in their many collaborations.
½ May 19, 2012
First Hepburn-Tracy vehicle, which shows the real start of their romance. He's a sportswriter, she's a political columnist. It's all reaction shots and slow burn, as he is ignored by her and/or exposed to her elite circle. Finally, he's had too much. Apparently, the ending (whereby she gets her comeuppance) was tacked on after a test screening -- it doesn't convince. Still, it's good to see a willful independent woman onscreen in the 40s.
November 26, 2011
The gender politics haven't aged well, but the chemistry on display between Hepburn and Tracy make WOMAN OF THE YEAR a memorable battle of the sexes.
August 13, 2011
This was the first screen pairing between Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy, and it was a sublime romantic comedy and sports film. Spency Tracy plays a sports reporter, while Katharine Hepburn plays a political reporter, and at first the two don't like each other and then fall madly in love. While also being a very humorous film, it's also very depressing at times, but that's among the many reasons for why this film is so great, and yet so underrated.
July 23, 2011
Tracy/Hepburn favorite. Really well done.
½ March 3, 2011
Katherine Hepburn has never been sexier than as Tess Harding, a brilliant political columnist in a New York newspaper during WWII. She is confident, intelligent and enchanting, and you can see why Spencer Tracy's Sam Craig falls almost instantly for her. The movie has delightful screwball comedy moments especially in the first hour, but melodrama drags it down two thirds of the way through. Still it is a fascinating and entertaining battle of the sexes. Hepburn and Tracy's chemistry veritably sizzles.
Beware Spoilers lie below.

I'm warning you, I'll be dealing directly with the ending because the movie has been accused of sexism, an assessment I entirely disagree with. "Woman of the Year" is progressive and honest and I don't mean any of that "for its time" crap, I mean for our time too. Tess Harding is a career woman, the best there is at her job, I don't think I've seen a modern movie that has shown a sexier more in control one. She also can be selfish and headstrong, but she loves Sam, and Sam loves her for who she is. He doesn't want to tie her down, but what he does want is compromise. This movie tells us that marriage is work (a subject that Hollywood likes to ignore, it either is supposed to be bliss or a hell to be escaped), and that one member of a marriage can't steamroll over the other, regardless of sex. At the end of the movie Tess tries to win Sam back by proving to him that she can be the perfect housewife. It is only at this point that Sam says that he's disappointed in her. He doesn't want her to be just Mrs. Craig any more than he wants her to be just Tess Harding - he wants her to be Tess Harding Craig, the implication being that he wants her to continue her career (that after all was the woman he fell in love with), but perhaps he can be more important from time to time than a battleship christening. The fact that this ending has been widely criticized as sexist shows how scared people are of seeing compromise, and how quick people are to look down on previous generations in order to say how far we've come. I'm sorry but if anyone thinks that "How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days" or "No Strings Attached" is more progressive or feminist than "Woman of the Year" I'll have to throttle them. "Woman of the Year" says that a feminist might actually want to both have a career and a family, that marriage might be work, and that in the end neither of these facts are bad things. That takes guts. Try to find a similar message in a modern RomCom. I dare you.
January 29, 2011
First of nine Tracy-Hepburn vehicles and one that sets the theme for many of these collaborations: women's rights and the battle of the sexes. Though quite well done, well acted, and well written, I think the later "Adam's Rib" deals with all the subject matter more expertly and by then the Tracy/Hepburn chemistry is in full force, so this movie has the misfortune of paling in comparison.

The view on feminism can bother viewers today since (as in most of the Hepburn battle of the sexes films actually) no matter how strong the woman, no matter how enlightened the man, the message always seems to come down to "reign it in honey and learn how to cook".

If you haven't seen either this or "Adam's Rib", I advice you to see this one first, you'll enjoy it, and then watch the other one, so you can be surprised to see how that one improves upon a good thing.