!Women Art Revolution Reviews

John B Super Reviewer
    May 02, 2013

A fabulous introduction to a number of female artists that I had never been exposed to. It was a tremendous educational opportunity as well as a great film. I am glad that I had the opportunity to learn.

• Apr 25, 2013

I saw this film recently and really enjoyed it. It was a shock to recall art that actually related to and responded to what was going on in the world (or at least the US). There isn't a single animal in formaldehyde, or balloon dog in sight. I thought it was a good mix of history, personal narrative, art and the creative process. The documentary has a point of view, but it is well supported by the contribution of all of the artists who appear. I would say that I would like to see this again.

• Apr 21, 2013

Fabulous documentary! It reminded me of what CWILA is concerned with doing for female writers now. For anyone interested in the women's movement, art, performance art, and more, with original stock footage including interviews of artists then and now, this film is fascinating.

• Jul 19, 2012

Important documentary that chronicles the Feminist Art Movement and how these artists held a mirror up to the culture and politics during the early days of the women's lib era. After watching this movie, I'm interested in studying these women and learn more about their work. I'm ashamed to admit how little I knew about the lack of women artists represented in art museums at that time. I would love the see The Dinner Party by Judy Chicago It is phenomenal!

• Apr 04, 2012

This enlightening documentary about the feminist art movement has plenty of brains and heart, I only wish it had a little more bite.

• Jan 22, 2012

with a soundtrack by Carrie Brownstein (Wild Flag was born of this project).

with a soundtrack by Carrie Brownstein (Wild Flag was born of this project).

• Dec 07, 2011

Interesting, but not really that well-made.

Interesting, but not really that well-made.

• Oct 23, 2011

A fairly standard doc about an important movement. The footage is informative and insightful, it's just hard to fit so much into one 83 minute film. In the end, !W.A.R. feels more like a trailer enticing you to discover the artists presented within it, among the countless others, for yourself.

• Aug 22, 2011

A very fresh tomato of a wonderful documentary. The history of Feminist Art, thoroughly and beautifully portrayed like never before. A rare and engaging journey through the world of Feminist Art.

• Aug 15, 2011

A revealing history of feminist artists from the 1970s. I'm glad they are getting recognition, however, it's hard to appreciate angry divorcees who create inaccessible art. One full star for including Miranda July.