Women's Prison - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Women's Prison Reviews

January 12, 2015
A very watchable flick out of a Bad Girls of Noir set, this one caught my eye because of Ida Lupino, but the entire cast is worth a look, the ensemble storytelling gives you several interesting threads all tied together within the bleak setting of a women's ward.

Worth a look.
February 17, 2012
If you love women-in-prison flicks both old and new (and I do), this delivers the campy goods!
January 27, 2012
lupino growls n snarls in this b movie
January 15, 2011
I know very little about the 50s penal system, and somehow, after watching this film, I feel as though I know less. The high point is wardress Ida Lupino's wardrobe of popped-collar, shimmery blouses, pencil skirts, wide belts, and pumps. The low point is how I did not want to root for the good guys because they were all bland and preachy and whiney, but I couldn't very well root for Ida, the fetus-kicking madwoman. A dilemma, indeed.
jjnxn
March 3, 2010
Lurid over the top B-movie with a cast any noir watcher will love.
½ December 7, 2009
I've seen better Women In Prison movies, but then again, I've seen much, much worse
½ August 29, 2009
"Real Raw Truth About Man Smuggling Inside The BIG HOUSE For Women!" is what the poster claims. Well, not exactly. But the co-ed jail does have a married couple reunite long enough to get a bun in the oven and a lot of trouble for all concerned.

Ida Lupino chews up the place, and the torment she doles out makes for some enjoyable melodrama. The cast of character actresses and film noir b-girls are terrific, especially Vivian Marshall as a vocal impersonator who can imitate Bette Davis... and the voice of the warden, coincidentally. Jan Sterling also semi-reprises her role in the similar film Caged, from five years previous.

The prison riot and Lupino's breakdown are handled well so as to imply much more threat than what they can realistically deliver. But the circling female cons with shanks, and screws firing in gas cannisters do provide a nice contrast to the more melodramatic elements. However, it is the humorous routine of the prisoners, and their satiric depiction of lower class idioms and criminal sob stories that I really enjoyed in this.
rubystevens
August 27, 2009
this was pretty entertaining. ida lupino is a raving bitch as the boss of a women's prison. the 'psychology' is kinda wack tho