Wonder Boys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wonder Boys Reviews

½ March 29, 2014
absolutely recommend this one!
March 13, 2014
This was my kinda movie, great cast and lots of wit, just great!
March 7, 2014
Great adaptation of a great book. Excellent casting, too.
February 26, 2014
beautifully done, and amazing characters!
January 27, 2014
Hands down 1 of the greatest movies ever! The Cast is awesome! Story is great! I've seen it probably 50 times now its great every time I watch it!
November 28, 2013
Pretty good drama that gives something for profs, academics, and the middle-aged to appreciate.
October 21, 2013
My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup.
cosmo313
½ October 8, 2013
As far as being a writer goes, I may personally just be a hack amateur wannabe, and, even though I plan on being a professor, I'm not there yet. Regardless of all that though, this movie really clicked with me, and I found myself really tapping into its frequency.

The inclusion of Bob Dylan makes this already great film even better. If you're not into Dylan, or at least not later Dylan, you probabky won't agree. I think it fits perfectly though, so I'm glad it's in the movie. Even though my intro to this review showed my inability to completely relate, a movie about passionate people struggling to deal with all life puts them through is something that everyone can get, even if the specifics differ from the viewers' own personal experiences.

The weary, stoner, neurotic Grady Tripp is a great character. He's someone you can love and feel for, yet he's still very ragged, and you wonder why you should continue to care, if you ever really did to begin with. Michael Douglas is fantastic as Tripp, giving one of his best performances in years. Tobey Maguire, I feel, is channeling Bud Cort's work from Harold & Maude, and it pays off. He also gives an excellent performances as the troubled and mysterious prodigy. Katie Holmes has a smaller role, but she's also pretty good. Sometimes I forget that she does have talent. Downey Jr. and McDormand also give fine performances as always.

I liked that this was a small movie, and that it has high artistic vlaue, but that it isn't too pretentious or artsy, and that it became a sleeper hit. I haven't read the source material, but it seems like something I could see myself enjoying.

There aren't a whole lot of overtly cinematic moments, with lots of abundant style and flair, but this is definitely a "film" as opposed to a "movie". This ranks, along with L.A. Confidential, as Curtis Hanson's best film, and one you would do well to see. It's charming, touching, and very entertaining.
October 6, 2013
gr8 cast turn in pitch perfect performances and r the fuel that makes pic a gem from the director of "LA Confidential"
September 28, 2013
Michael and Toby make the finest acting pair and are complemented by a high quality team to produce a perfect character movie. The fun is enhanced with the cinematography and a first class script making a film that is well worth watching for the depth of enjoyment. Twists and turns reveal the story enhancing the mystery and quality of the actors. Nibbles: Strawberry Torte.
September 9, 2013
interesting dark comedy/indie movie that has its good moments but can see this being more of an underground hit than anything. michael douglas makes the movie as the quirky profressor haha
July 9, 2013
Wonderfully acted movie with a great cast. Michael Douglas and Tobey McGuire both delivered award worthy performances. The movie itself is heartfelt, entertaining and witty!
½ July 7, 2013
Michael Douglas in one of his last best jobs as a troubled professor in a tour that involves an stolen jacket and a shot dead dog in a trunk.Look for a Tobey Maguire pre-SpiderMan.
June 16, 2013
Funny, moving, and anything else you'd like to add.
½ June 15, 2013
I didn't find it very interesting at all, although there were some amusing lines thrown in here and there.
May 23, 2013
Dude, so incredibly cute and you're completely invested very very early on in all of the characters. Michael Douglas was very endearing and funny in this; Tobey Maguire was really emo and it was hysterical; Katie Holmes was rather unneeded but she wasn't that bad; Robert Downey Jr was adorable, as always. Surprisingly funny and really sweet.
½ May 4, 2013
Wonder Boys (2000) -- [9.0] -- Michael Douglas gives a career highlight performance as a fifty-year-old college professor worried about following up a sensational debut novel in this warm, character-driven comedy from Curtis Hanson (L.A. Confidential, 8 Mile) and author Michael Chabon. I was quickly hooked on each of the movie's ensemble of anxious, quirky characters, all grappling with their own life-changing dilemmas. Tobey Maguire is excellent as the sullen but devious James Leer and Robert Downey Jr. is perfect as Douglas' impetuous, libidinous book editor. Frances McDormand plays the chancellor's wife, with whom Douglas is having an affair, and the cast also includes Katie Holmes, Rip Torn, and Alan Tudyk. What I most appreciate about "Wonder Boys" is the suggestion that isolation mires us in our problems. Company, even odd company, has a way of helping you see the light. Love the title song by Bob Dylan.
½ May 1, 2013
Monday, April 29, 2013

(2000) Wonder Boys
COMEDY DRAMA

Based on a novel written by Michael Chabon starring Michael Douglas as Professor Grady Tripp who teaches a creative writing course for students who want to become successful to write books. The professor is also a struggling writer himself and is narrating the movie. Toby MacGuire as James Leer as one of his students- a harmless but consist to have some abnormal behaviour. Katie Holmes as Hannah Green the student who happens to have a crush with her English professor and is renting one of the rooms from him. The title "Wonder Boys" is more like "Wonder Boy" without the "S" at the end since it's referring to only one student and that is the Toby McGuire character James Leer who have the potential to complete writing a book as opposed to the other students. The film also stars Robert Downey JR as the professor's publisher, and Frances McDormand as the already married wife to whom the professor got pregnant. Upon watching it the film felt like it's trying to say something but is not doing it well saying it.

2 out of 4 stars
April 25, 2013
Funny, charming, and well-written.
March 17, 2013
I took a chance on this and i'm so happy i did. I must have watched this quite a lot back when i bought it. I was so involved with the characters. I loved the humour, and i actually liked Michael Douglas so much in this. As ever Robert Downey Jr. is a delight & Tobey Maguire does well to play an interesting outcast, i'd only ever saw him in Spiderman who i guess is also an outcast in a different way. I wasn't too into Kate Holmes's portrayal of whatever she was meant to be but hey every movie has it's dud moments. I'm not understanding this whole 'Pretentious' feeling. I think that word is so overused and half the people that use it don't even know what it means. What you see is what you get.