The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit Reviews

½ December 29, 2013
It's "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" for men. But it lacks the charm and heart of the former.
June 12, 2013
Why the freakin' hell was this movie so good to me? Maybe cause Ray Bradbury was behind the original story.
May 9, 2012
Watched this movie all the time when I was a kid and went back and watched it a couple of years ago. Still hasn't lost it's touch and is surprisingly magical.
June 10, 2011
Great! A fantastic and unforgettable film. Fresh.
½ March 21, 2011
More stereotypes than you can shake a pinata stick at. Much of the performances and songs are in your face, mugging it up. But the use of close-ups is very careful and the editing is musical and flowing even when the songs and score are grating. Clifton Collins Jr. is the most sincere and the best of the group, since his expressions and voice convey that he believes, seeing through the hijinks, in all the others.

For me, this fable doesn't conjure up real magic except that you never see the other shoe drop. Anything that might bring the fall from bliss is held beyond the frame without any foreshadowing even. The people don't fight over the suit; it's not rent between them in acrimony; and their camaraderie never succumbs to individual greed or selfishness. The story revolves around the strange idea that a single new object could enter a person's life and convert him/her to brimming pride, complete trust in fate, and celebration of one's imminent opportunities, one's daily surroundings and the life of all humankind.

Visionary pre-credit animated sequence. Very bad video cover, and a lot of this movie felt almost that exasperating, but by the end, it gets across the magic of a certain kind of optimism in the face of the unknown.
½ December 18, 2008
A nice telling of the wonderful Ray Bradbury short story about dreams and aspirations of peasants who find a way to l'be someone else' if for only an hour.
May 31, 2008
Suprisingly entertaining comedy.
May 30, 2008
May 27, 2008
Best line: "I don't want your wallet. I want your skeleton."

Hilarious show.
½ April 29, 2008
What the heck? Was this a children's film? I don't think it's bad, just totally absurd. I watch a lot of corny stuff, but this is beyond the beyond of corniness.
March 25, 2008
Just when I thought they couldn't get any lower...

Anybody up for adding this one to the Stupidity Parade?
February 4, 2008
This is a childhood favorite of mine. And I finally got it on dvd, so now i can enjoy it whenever i want. its about these 5 guys who pull together the last of their money to buy an ice cream suit that shines bright white, attracts the ladies and makes their dreams come true. A wonderful family comedy that will make you want to buy an ice cream suit.
January 29, 2008
This guilty pleasure of mine is outside and way out of my realm of action and horror, but I really enjoyed this entertaining film based on a Ray Bradbury short story. Magical, hilarious and outrageous are just a few choice words for this film that, simply put, is lots of fun! A somewhat predecessor and male version of THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELLING PANTS, I recommend this wonderful film!
January 3, 2008
Sounds like a stupid movie...
½ December 3, 2007
What the...? How the heck did I not know about this movie until just now? A film directed by Stuart Gordon (Re-Animator), starring Edward James Olmos (Battlestar Galactica), from a screenplay by Ray Bradbury? It sounds like it was made with me in mind!

It's a cute story. Five fashion-saavy but astonishingly poor Latinos pool their money to buy a beautiful white suit, which they take turns wearing in hopes of increasing their status in the neighborhood. As expected, much hilarity ensues.

The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit is agreeably goofy, slapsticky, family-friendly comedy that kept me smiling all the while (the climactic slow-motion sequence alone is worth the rental), with some stylish (but G-rated) visual flair by Stuart Gordon. This thing's about as substantial as cotton candy, but I found it a fine change of pace from my usual diet of sci-fi, horror, and silent films.
November 18, 2007
Fantastic movie that stays with you. Funny and inspiring. A good surprise.
½ November 14, 2007
A great piece of American fiction from Ray Bradbury. The movie is short, fun, and never takes itself seriously. The cast is a who's who of latin actors and actresses.
November 9, 2007
This is a fun movie. It made my want to get a White suit.
½ November 1, 2007
Don't eat crunchy tacos in that suit!
½ August 7, 2007
Corny, but hilarious. and, actually kinda cute/inspiring. I can't believe this movie is actually in the Flixster database, because it's so obscure! "You EAT the juicy tacos! You DANCE with the fat, Guadalajara cow!" My family loves this one.